Mediterranean in Nov????

fitty

Hi everyone,

We are considering the 24 day "Farewell to Europe" (Athens, Greece to Ft. Lauderdale.) Oct 30 on the Prinsendam. Can anyone tell me what I might expect weather wise in the Med. and trans atlantic at this time of year ? I am a little concerned that it might be too cold to enjoy our lovely balcony. It's a wonderful itininery but it is rather late in the season.

We could also go on Oceania's Nautica to the Med (Istanbul To Athens )Sept 5 . but it would only be for 12 days. What advice would you give me ? :o

Hi Fitty,

You are not going to be able to sunbathe in a swim suit on your verandah in November (unless you're very lucky with the weather). You are more than likely going to get a bit of rain also. Chances are that you would need a sweater or light jacket.

The weather in September will be much better as the summer season tends to go on till into October.

This subject is relative, as to what you personally find hot or cold or comfortable.

I've never done a ta so cannot comment on that part.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise whichever one you choose.

Always difficult to predict sea state and weather.

We did a trans-Atlantic 11-95 on Maasdam. Smooth seas and good weather Lisbon to the Azores - fairly rough West of the Azores all the way to Fort Lauderdale. Water entered ship's hull via the hawsepipe (anchor chainway), and several cabins on Main Deck forward, including ours, flooded! Luckily, they had other cabins to which we could be moved.

Our smoothest trans-Atlantic, on the late great Royal Princess, Mar 98, Buenos Aires to Barcelona was very smooth indeed.

We've had others with all types of seas and weather.

Your last port before heading across the Atlantic is Funchal on Nov. 15. almost a year from now. The present weather at 6 a.m. PST today Nov. 28, is: 64°F Wind: N at 9 mph / 14 kh Humidity: 73% Pressure:30.12 inches, 1020 mb.

You can go to Google and search for "Atlantic ocean weather" for more details.

Bill

Hi everyone,

We are considering the 24 day "Farewell to Europe" (Athens, Greece to Ft. Lauderdale.) Oct 30 on the Prinsendam. Can anyone tell me what I might expect weather wise in the Med. and trans atlantic at this time of year ? I am a little concerned that it might be too cold to enjoy our lovely balcony. It's a wonderful itininery but it is rather late in the season.

We could also go on Oceania's Nautica to the Med (Istanbul To Athens )Sept 5 . but it would only be for 12 days. What advice would you give me ? :o

Weather is, of course, unpredictable. We just came back from the Med in November and our weather was pretty good.

Check out

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

for our report and pics. You can see what we are wearing in different ports. Greece was moderate, The Greek Isles were nice but not warm, Turkey was nice, Israel and Egypt were warm but not hot, Venice was downright cold! We had little rain, one day of high winds and rough seas.

However, in no way could the weather at sea be characterized as warm. Now, I am not much of a fan of sitting on the balcony even in warm weather in the Caribbean. But I would seriously doubt you would get much use out of a balcony. Also, since Med cruises are typically port intensive there aren't many sea days to do that.

I would suggest you plan on enjoying the wonderful facilities of the ship instead of the balcony.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived