Kayaking in Ketchikan or Skagway

Mikey & Laura

We went independent in ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks (per recommendations from this site). Their 4 hour Orca Cove tour takes you to a really secluded area several islands away. We had bald eagles flying overhead and several on fallen trees along the beach that we paddled right up to. We did it during the salmon run, so we had salmon jumping all around us.

The really nice thing about this company is that they max out at 6 people per trip to Orca Cove, which means you get a really personal tour that can be tailored to where you want to go and your pace. We lucked out and were the only 2 on our particular tour, so we had things exactly as we wanted them and had a great opportunity to get to know our guide...sharing info back and forth about ourselves, discussing wildlife, culture and politics. The tour guide grabbed our camera and spent all the time we needed to get that perfect kayaking shot, which we probably wouldn't have gotten with a large group seeting. We didn't see a single other person during our trip. We were so glad to be taken out of the touristy areas.

As for Skagway, I think most of the kayaking is in lakes and if I'm correct, its actually done out of Haines (which requires a 30-45 min ferry ride from Skagway), so factor that in. All other things being equal, consider what you want to do and figure out how the puzzle works out best to get in all of your excursions in the various ports.

We also did a Southeast Seas Kayak in Ketchikan. As was already said, it was great. This outfil is very professional. We used a coupon from the Toursaver book for it. Kim, the owner, was so nice. We spoke on the phone several times before we went, and she made us feel great about the whole thing. They do a great job.

Count me in for Southeast Kayaks and the Orca Cove Tour, it was a blast. The closest pictures I got of eagles were from the kayaks. The water was so clear you could see everything and I couldn't believe how big the seaweed balls were. Not to mention the snack they serve was awesome.

Misty

We did the Kayaking in Skagway. I would recommend you do the kayaking in Ketchikan. There wasn't too much to see in Skagway. I would have kayaked Ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks, but our ship wasn't in port long enough for two excursions, and I just had to do the Mountain Point Snorkeling in Ketchikan instead.

We also went with Southeast Sea Kayaks while in Ketchikan a few weeks ago. Everyones descriptions here are right on the money. Small group (we had 5 people + 1 guide), secluded (translation: peaceful), and very close to nature.

We saw multiple eagles, harbor seals, a few porpise (I think that was what it was) and even had a few fish jump just a few feet from our Kayak which was quite the start!

The guides are very down to earth, and what I liked about them was they they didnt try to talk all the time, rather letting the scenery speak for itself.

The Kayaking is #1 on list of things I would do again on our next trip, and Id go with no one else by SouthEast Sea!

Archived