What do you girls pay for your Formal Gown?

kiraryker

even for cruising..do-recycle bottoms tho..always find bargins after hoildays..and keep ahead..I keep an eye out for just my type of garments..also i have a fab lil lady dressmaker that will tailor, re-make, rework anything that is too big for me but a "simply must have". Iwould love to take here with me, but she won't "like all that water" (shes from Cuba)and some unpleasant memories there. So I bring here a few goodies.

I've seen some pretty things on ebay, but never have bought -- I am wary of buying designer things on there out of fear they aren't the real thing. I also worry about the quality if it is a used item...I want to see it and feel it and check it out first.

However, I do almost all of my apparel shopping online --it's just easier for me as I have a very hectic schedule and little time to go shopping.

I only have 3 "formal" dresses -- none of them are very formal though -- more cocktail style dresses. One LBD bought on Fashion Bug's website on clearance for under $25 (my absolute favorite!!! It is so pretty and figure friendly), one sexy red one that was $19!!! (it was off of www.walmart.com --online only buy) It is a "George" dress --they have some cocktail dresses this year, only available online and the quality is phenomenal and it is beautiful It will be great for our upcoming Dec cruise.

My other is a lot less formal black dress --knee length, short sheer sleeves, cowl neckline. The back is scooped with small diamond/rhinestone accents pulling together "x" in the backless part. It is my least favorite, but was only $20 at Ross.

I ENVY you...Carmen Marc Valvo is absolutely wonderful! So beautiful, perfect for any figure, and timeless styles. would love to see a pic if you have one...:)

Awww....thanks.

Sorry, don't have a pic.

The gown a sleeveless scoop neck style and is two layered. The bottom layer is a textured silk metallic bronze/olive knit, but you don't see too much of it. The top layer is lightweight, floaty olive silk that covers the right shoulder & breast (left breast & shoulder is the other fabric) and sweeps under the bustline with about 20 intricate trapunto pleats and fastens on the left side midway between waist and underarm. From that point down, the whole gown is the floaty olive silk, which is open on the left side, so that the knit underneath shows only when you walk and the top fabric floats. The gown comes with a matching shawl in the same olive silk fabric. It's stunning and classic, worth every dime I paid for it and I'll be able to wear it for many years. :)

I pay way too much from what I just read. Well, I try to recycle as well but I dont like to see myself in the same gown every year or twice a year. I have purchased gowns at Benefit auctions in NY that were VERY pricey and I would never discard them to goodwill, then I have those that just hang in my closet feeling hopeful to cruise again. I always have the NEED for ONE MORE! :-)

I just purchased two Mon Cheri gowns. Well one is a formal pants outfit I was thrilled was drastically reduced, but the second was only 50% off and was still $400. Im still recycling 1 formal and 2 or 3 what some would consider semi formal for smart casual nights (on our 12night Holiday cruise). My DD is 19 and so far we have purchased about 10 new dresses for this cruise (no not all formal,lol).

I tend to try to be somewhat frugal until it comes to THIS!!

I'M SMILING.

I'm between $100 and $250, but I don't buy my formal attire specifically for the cruise. I typically buy a new dress each year for the formal gala I attend for work, then also add it to my collection of attire I can bring on a cruise.

The least I've paid is $7 for a gown (ivory spaghetti strap under dress with a lace ivory overdress... beaded and beribboned!). The most is $40... for a full length black satin gown. You just don't have to spend an arm and leg to look nice, IMHO. Oh.. and yes, I DO rewear dresses.

Do you buy one just for your cruise or do you bring one that you already have?? I'm just wondering.

Depends on what I find that is becoming on me. I have snatched some "deals" of around $40 but I have also paid $200. I won't go higher then $200.

I love my formal dresses, so I do not have a problem wearing them again on cruises.

However, if I do happen to see a formal in a store and absolutely love it, I will buy it if it is reasonably priced and I know that I will wear it. I think the most I would pay is $150....and then it would have to be a classic dress that I could wear 5 years from now.

For our cruise coming up in April I will probably buy another......I wish I had the guts to buy from EBay, but I am the type that has to try things on first. That is ok...love to try on dresses!!!:D

I am not a thrift store person, but even without going to thrift stores/eBay you can get great deals, if you shop around. My favorite evening dress I got from BCBG outlet for around $45.

Like many posters I normally recycle one dress and get a new one. To be honest, I have enough of them to just recycle, but I can never resist good deal on gorgeous dress. For my upcoming cruise, I bought darling black baby-doll (LOVE it, it was about $50 after all discounts) and will take my BCBG stand-by.

That is when you take them to the consigment sotre and sell them. After 13 cruises I have done that quite a few times-but I also will wear the same dress another cruise.

Recently because of my medication I have picked up weight, so many of my gowns no longer fit-I plan to take them into the consignment shop.

I've seen some pretty things on ebay, but never have bought -- I am wary of buying designer things on there out of fear they aren't the real thing. I also worry about the quality if it is a used item...I want to see it and feel it and check it out first.

However, I do almost all of my apparel shopping online --it's just easier for me as I have a very hectic schedule and little time to go shopping.

I only have 3 "formal" dresses -- none of them are very formal though -- more cocktail style dresses. One LBD bought on Fashion Bug's website on clearance for under $25 (my absolute favorite!!! It is so pretty and figure friendly), one sexy red one that was $19!!! (it was off of www.walmart.com --online only buy) It is a "George" dress --they have some cocktail dresses this year, only available online and the quality is phenomenal and it is beautiful It will be great for our upcoming Dec cruise.

My other is a lot less formal black dress --knee length, short sheer sleeves, cowl neckline. The back is scooped with small diamond/rhinestone accents pulling together "x" in the backless part. It is my least favorite, but was only $20 at Ross.

That depends on the seller. Some will rip you off-some are legit.

Honestly? I have no idea. I do remember purchasing a Victor Casa from a thrift store years ago (a true ball gown) for $25 and I'm sure I've paid over $1000 at one time or another.

I used to have to attend a lot of black tie events and had a closet full of gowns.

Now it is next to impossible to get me to go formal because of all the times I had to do it for work.

Honestly? I have no idea. I do remember purchasing a Victor Casa from a thrift store years ago (a true ball gown) for $25 and I'm sure I've paid over $1000 at one time or another.

I used to have to attend a lot of black tie events and had a closet full of gowns.

Now it is next to impossible to get me to go formal because of all the times I had to do it for work.

I guess doing it so much for your job does take the "fun" out of it.

You know though, a $1000 for a gown for business would be one thing, or even for a wedding of a close family member etc. but I would never spend $1000 for a gown on a cruise-unless ofcourse-I was crusing a line like Cunard-Carnival no-no way would I spend more for my gown then I did for the cruise!

I would say the average I spend is $300-$500, sometimes more, sometimes less. I rarely buy any super expensive formal dresses, because I never have the occasion to wear them other than on cruises. Now, shoes... that's another story. That's where my money is really spent! :D

We wait until Macy's has their end of year sale. If I am lucky I can find $200.00 formals for less than the price of a tank of gas for my little Honda Civic. Usually the dresses are marked down 60% and then (here's the lucky part) I have a coupon for 15% off the markdown price.

I have found some nice finds at Ross'. Wasn't looking at the time, but when you stumble on a find, ypu got to go for it. One was royal blue on color, floor length, one piece, shimmery top. Paid $25. The other was a black tea length scarf hem, v neck. Also $25. Nice thing, my DH liked them too!

I found one dress at a 2nd hand store that was never worn.. i bought it for $13.00.. I figured I had saved so much money.. then I saw a couple more on Ebay that I LOVED.. I bought one for $20.00 and another for $32.00.. then I had to buy shoes.. I bought 3 pairs, cause you just never know which ones you will want to wear.. and I bought 4 evening bags.. and they are ALL black.. LOL... if only I had stopped at that one black dress.. oh by the way, turns out I will probably not even wear the black one because I love the other 2 so much!!...

I was also quite suprised how much it cost me to have a gown hemmed as well.

I was equally suprised that I had to have to gown hemmed in the first place. I am 5'5 1/2 and never before have the gowns been to long, yet on this recent shooping expereince every gown I tried on was way way to long.... Are the designers now making the gowns longer?

I just purchased 2 new formal night dresses from the Nordstrom website. One was $150 and the other was $110. I'm sure I will recycle them on future cruises. There were so many beautiful dresses to choose from - I wanted to be a bit sensible, so I limited myself to only considering dresses under $200. Luckily, I liked the 2 I ended up with just as much (or more) than the more expensive ones anyway.

I can't help it, but I have to have a new dress for formal night.:o I guess it has to do more with the pictures than actually needing a new dress. We tend to buy a lot of pictures on our cruises and I just don't want them with the same dress. However I usually only spend a $100 or so on a dress so I guess that is not too bad. The other good part of this, is DH is a musician and I am always needing a dress for one occasion or another, and so I do get more wear out of them than just the cruise.:)

i find that while more expensive, high end brands usually hold up longer in terms of formal dresses. i try and hit up the seasonal sales at brand names like BCBG, where I got the cutest cocktail dress for $70 and I feel great wearing it. happy shopping!

Last year I forgot my formal dress at home (too excited I guess) and had to find a last minute replacement in FLL! I hadn't ever heard of Ross but found one that was open early Sunday AM. I found a beautiful black halter, full length gown for $40! With my luck it wouldn't ever happen again! This year i'm planning on hitting the after Christmas sales for our cruise in April!

i find that while more expensive, high end brands usually hold up longer in terms of formal dresses. i try and hit up the seasonal sales at brand names like BCBG, where I got the cutest cocktail dress for $70 and I feel great wearing it. happy shopping!

I love BCBG for young girls. But...$70???Are you lucky! My DIL bought one on sale for more like $400.00!!!

Archived