Journey liquor policy

Placerville

We are going on the Journey and staying in the Royal Suite. I noticed on their web site a large bottle of liquor on the bar of the suite. Yet, they emphatically state that no liquor may be brought on board (and that they sell no bottles of liquor). We would rather have a cocktail in our room than go down to the bars, but hate paying the mini-bar prices. My question is....do they screen the luggage upon boarding the ship-not that I might try and sneak something on :).

"My question is....do they screen the luggage upon boarding the ship-not that I might try and sneak something on."

I'm not sure how thoroughly they screen luggage, but I understand they

monitor this board...

Not that we would try to sneak something on either, but I ditto your

comments.

The liquor policy is another example of the mass-market mindset that has infected and affected the Azamara project from Day 1.

Hi Cruiseyguy !

Sorry, but I have to disagree. This policy is stated on Azamara, as well as most all of the major Cruise lines. This is nothing new. They all claim to enforce it, but at the end of the day, some passengers attempt to bring Liquor onboard.

I certainly do not advocate doing this, as you run the risk of your liquor being confiscated, as well as having the bottle break in transit, and ruining all of your clothes !

IMHO, this has nothing to do with Azamara being mass-market or not. It's more about how Cruiselines run their business.

Andy-Oceania does not have this policy. Nor does Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Sea Dream, etc. All are NON-mass market lines. The mass market lines have this policy to encourage ("force") the purchase of alcoholic beverages onboard--a real profit center for these lines. The upscale lines, to which Azamara aspires, do not do so because the higher per diems are suppose to partially offset the nickel & dime annoyances of the mass-market lines.

Oceania does not have this policy.

In Oceania's Terms & Conditions, it states, "Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel." Did you mean that it isn't enforced?

Susan-M-Most companies (I believe) "reserve" this right in order to limit/control possible abuse, if needed. Oceania does not "prohibit" bringing aboard liquor as a matter of general policy and practice. "Reserve" and "prohibit" are very different stances on this issue.

In Oceania's Terms & Conditions, it states, "Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel." Did you mean that it isn't enforced?

Oceania definitely currently allows you to bring the alcohol of your choice on board.

Putting the language of "reserving the right" in their documentation means they could at any time change their policy without having to re-write their contract.

We are going on the Journey and staying in the Royal Suite. I noticed on their web site a large bottle of liquor on the bar of the suite. Yet, they emphatically state that no liquor may be brought on board (and that they sell no bottles of liquor). We would rather have a cocktail in our room than go down to the bars, but hate paying the mini-bar prices. My question is....do they screen the luggage upon boarding the ship-not that I might try and sneak something on :).

We plan to send ourselves a gift pack (from Celebrity website). A bottle of alchohol with a six-pack of mixer with nuts is $60, and $80 for some premium brands. It's expensive, but we want to enjoy a cocktail in our room and this seems like the easiest way to do it.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. This policy is stated on Azamara, as well as most all of the major Cruise lines. This is nothing new. They all claim to enforce it, but at the end of the day, some passengers attempt to bring Liquor onboard.

Andy,

The alcohol policy IMO is simply meant to intimidate

pax into buying on board while keeping their drink

prices steep, not to mention the outrageous

corkage fee.

Laura

NCL-We know AZ has this policy. But the issue is whether such a policy is consistent with their aspirations to be "deluxe" or whatever. I don't think you'll find any Oceania, Crystal, Seabourn, etc. pax "sneaking" liquor onboard like high school kids at a prom. They don't have to. And Oceania and Crystal charge for drinks (Seabourn is inclusive).

To pretend that people who can afford and choose to cruise the super-premium lines are somehow above boorish and sophomoric behavior is to pretend that W is a conservative.

You missed the point. The super premium lines don't have a policy that would require their guests to resort to sneaking liquor on board. Azamara should get with the program here.

But Azamara is not even trying to be super-premium.

And, based on a survey of rates I did a couple of weeks ago for another post here, the per diems demonstrate that.

And, if you reread the post I was replying to, I don't think I misread it at all - although I certainly understand what you're saying too.

Archived