How to get to the Port from the Airport?

lumpkin

I posted this on the Disney board also...all advice is appreciated....

I am exploring a few options, and would like to know which is the best....cost and convenience are both a concern to us, altho I do know we may have to sacrafice one or another.

There are the choices for transportation (one way only, needed) for a Sunday Wonder cruise in late August 2008, to get from airport to Pt. Canaveral for the 4 of us:

Disney shuttle: $35 each, totals $140

Mears private sedan care: $120 total, plus tolls and tips

Mears metered taxi: approx. $100 on meter, plus tolls and tips

Rent a car for the morning at the airport, drop off at port, $$????

I am concerned with the conveneinece and running around and crowd factor with each choice....

Disney shuttle is most expensive, and probalby the most crowded choice,with most lines, but might involve no baggage handling. (we are staying overnight in the hyatt airport hotel, so could be very streamlined)

Mears flat fee sedan is almost the same rate, and we can arrive when we want.

Mears meter cab is cheaper, unless we get stuck in a traffic jam!!!!

Renting a car is probably the cheapest, but involves shuttles to pick up and return car, at airport and port.

Any thoughts from those that have done this already?

Thanks for your advice.......

I posted this on the Disney board also...all advice is appreciated....

I am exploring a few options, and would like to know which is the best....cost and convenience are both a concern to us, altho I do know we may have to sacrafice one or another.

There are the choices for transportation (one way only, needed) for a Sunday Wonder cruise in late August 2008, to get from airport to Pt. Canaveral for the 4 of us:

Disney shuttle: $35 each, totals $140

Mears private sedan care: $120 total, plus tolls and tips

Mears metered taxi: approx. $100 on meter, plus tolls and tips

Rent a car for the morning at the airport, drop off at port, $$????

I am concerned with the conveneinece and running around and crowd factor with each choice....

Disney shuttle is most expensive, and probalby the most crowded choice,with most lines, but might involve no baggage handling. (we are staying overnight in the hyatt airport hotel, so could be very streamlined)

Mears flat fee sedan is almost the same rate, and we can arrive when we want.

Mears meter cab is cheaper, unless we get stuck in a traffic jam!!!!

Renting a car is probably the cheapest, but involves shuttles to pick up and return car, at airport and port.

Any thoughts from those that have done this already?

Thanks for your advice.......

Rent the car. No traffic jams, one straight road 45 miles to Port Canaveral. Hertz, Avis, Thrifty, Budget, and Enterprise all have offices here.

We have done all three for different reasons. Renting a car sounded like a pain but here is what you do. When you get to PC you drop off the other three and the luggage at the ship while you take the car and drop it off (which is not too far) and get the car rental shuttle back to the ship to meet your family. Now if you have two little ones that might not work.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason you are staying overnight at the airport Hyatt (?Orlando) and not in PC? The rental agencies are right at the airport and it might save some time and shuffling to get a car right away and head to PC for the night. Just a thought.:D

Have a great cruise!!

Archived