Why I like to cruise Cunard!

fenreed

Well folks, below is an excerpt of what I placed on another thread about cruise dress.

After re-reading it, I thought it would be an excellent basis to test people's views, so I decided to open it up! I intend to do another post entitled 'Why I don't like to cruise Cunard!

So, below are my comments, (amended where necessary) but as concise as possible!

It is an absolute breath of fresh air to be able to dress to suit one's superior whim and to be a freely accepted part of a function that is applauded by those who wish to pay for that exact want.

To feel special!

To get away from the jeans and trainers at dinner!

To get far away from the type of folks who 'do not want to dress up.'

To get away from hearing the 'f' word that is in pretty current use in the UK, from BOTH sexes!

To feel very good, and to feel just as good amongst others who actually share that same feeling.

To know that you have not 'been lucky' as some would describe, but to enjoy that feeling that you actually adore what you are doing, why you are doing it, and that the experience is priceless.

It really does not matter that you have had to pay for it, let's face it.

It also does not matter if you are in QG or steerage.

You are there, the doubters are not.

Please feel free ......

Pete

Thanks - this is a great thread and v useful for those of us who haven't cruised with Cunard yet.

I'm guessing you would be a bit unhappy if Gordon Ramsey was sitting at your table on the cruise then!

I'd like to think Mr. Gordon Ramsay would have nothing to curse about !

I'd like to think Mr. Gordon Ramsay would have nothing to curse about !

I totally agree. However the unfortunate thing is that he wouldn't need anything to curse about. His swear word of choice is merely a verbal "tic" and he would use it with every bit as much fluency and frequency when being complementary as he would when being deprecatory.

Jimmy

Pete, your post is the type of thing that could get you KILLED (virtually) on the NCL board with all its freestyle fans. I hope you didn't put it there.

However, I'm making my first voyage on Cunard in 2008 for exactly all the reasons you cited. :)

Pete, your post is the type of thing that could get you KILLED (virtually) on the NCL board with all its freestyle fans. I hope you didn't put it there.

However, I'm making my first voyage on Cunard in 2008 for exactly all the reasons you cited. :)

Karen, If 'freestyle' cruising has a predominance of the type of person that I want to avoid, then best I never get around to trying that type of cruise then!

Pete

Well folks, below is an excerpt of what I placed on another thread about cruise dress.

After re-reading it, I thought it would be an excellent basis to test people's views, so I decided to open it up! I intend to do another post entitled 'Why I don't like to cruise Cunard!

So, below are my comments, (amended where necessary) but as concise as possible!

It is an absolute breath of fresh air to be able to dress to suit one's superior whim and to be a freely accepted part of a function that is applauded by those who wish to pay for that exact want.

To feel special!

To get away from the jeans and trainers at dinner!

To get far away from the type of folks who 'do not want to dress up.'

To get away from hearing the 'f' word that is in pretty current use in the UK, from BOTH sexes!

To feel very good, and to feel just as good amongst others who actually share that same feeling.

To know that you have not 'been lucky' as some would describe, but to enjoy that feeling that you actually adore what you are doing, why you are doing it, and that the experience is priceless.

It really does not matter that you have had to pay for it, let's face it.

It also does not matter if you are in QG or steerage.

You are there, the doubters are not.

Please feel free ......

Pete

Heartily concur. the main thing is being surrounded by people as thrilled as you to be aboard, who are looking forward to all the things you mention.:) Jane

OK, I'm not sure I am entitled to reply here since I have never been on a Cunard ship but since it's a dream of mine to go on a Cunard Transatlantic Cruise, I will tell you why I am sure I would love to cruise Cunard.

I have so many cute sundress or nautic outfits that match sun hats/shade hats/derby hats and I love wearing them but most of the time, I feel a little out of place since most girls my age will wear short shorts and t-shirt or camo capris with tank top or jeans. On Cunard, I feel my attire would be perfectly appropriate for a sea day. I just feel other people would not stare at me with the ''where does she come from'' look I get sometimes.

Can I ask you a question? from the ''BOTH'' written on capital letters from the above line, I wonder if you think it's more appropriate for one of the sexes to swear. IMHO, what is not appropriate for one of the sexes should not be appropriate for the other (ok, there are a couple of exception related to our different bodies and law related to that). JMHO

OOOps, I finished reading all posts and I realised I'm probably not welcome on this thread because all my cruises have been (or booked with) NCL and its Freestyle concept.

Personnally, I like the Freestyle concept (never tried a traditional cruise yet), more people can do whatever they feel like doing and all the people I talked to on my last cruise were very nice people. Cunard and NCL are definitely worlds apart but I think both offer a good product, just very different, and you have to choose what you want for a particular cruise (I know I will sail on Cunard one day and I know I will sail again with NCL. I won't be expecting the same experience but I know I will enjoy both).

OOOps, I finished reading all posts and I realised I'm probably not welcome on this thread because all my cruises have been (or booked with) NCL and its Freestyle concept.

You're joking, right? How else would we learn what to expect elsewhere without trolling on the other boards...:p

Thanks for you honest opinion--and here's hoping you make it onto Cunard real soon!

M-L

Personnally, I like the Freestyle concept (never tried a traditional cruise yet), more people can do whatever they feel like doing and all the people I talked to on my last cruise were very nice people. Cunard and NCL are definitely worlds apart but I think both offer a good product, just very different, and you have to choose what you want for a particular cruise (I know I will sail on Cunard one day and I know I will sail again with NCL. I won't be expecting the same experience but I know I will enjoy both).

Noone (except possibly HappyScot, when inebriated) could argue with any of that. I'm sure you will love Cunard when you do go.:)

Are "superior whims" available for hire on-board or does one cultivate one's own? Presumably in some form of heated and inflated ego.

OK, I'm not sure I am entitled to reply here since I have never been on a Cunard ship but since it's a dream of mine to go on a Cunard Transatlantic Cruise, I will tell you why I am sure I would love to cruise Cunard.

I have so many cute sundress or nautic outfits that match sun hats/shade hats/derby hats and I love wearing them but most of the time, I feel a little out of place since most girls my age will wear short shorts and t-shirt or camo capris with tank top or jeans. On Cunard, I feel my attire would be perfectly appropriate for a sea day. I just feel other people would not stare at me with the ''where does she come from'' look I get sometimes.

Can I ask you a question? from the ''BOTH'' written on capital letters from the above line, I wonder if you think it's more appropriate for one of the sexes to swear. IMHO, what is not appropriate for one of the sexes should not be appropriate for the other (ok, there are a couple of exception related to our different bodies and law related to that). JMHO

I agree. However, it is common to find firkins in the bars.

Noone (except possibly HappyScot, when inebriated) could argue with any of that. I'm sure you will love Cunard when you do go.:)

No, you don't understand. He doesn't need to be inebriated. It is a normal state of affairs. It's his way of coping with the BI.

David

BI???

Bidie-in - ye ken fine.

Noo dinnae be stupit. Yeve already got intae boather wi Maw 'n' Paw this week. Yeve hud yer Maw in tears an yer Paw's hud tae gie ye a guid skelp.

Noo ye think ye kin deny yer Bidie-in.

Watch oot. She's ahint ye.

David

I agree. However, it is common to find firkins in the bars.

HS,

Scroll back and have a look at #14. For god's sake try to remember to copy the "/quote" thing in at the end of the first bit when you're multi-quoting. I'm getting some of the most horrific mental images I've ever encountered here of you in cute little sundresses with matching sun hats.

I may never fully recover from the trauma this has induced.

Jimmy

happyscot, no mate, it's not egotistical at all, my wife and I were around the military all our lives and we just got used to being treated properly. There a very few restaurants in our locality where you do as you do on the Cunard line, and indeed on some other ships too, and it's nice to relive the experiences from yesteryear. Other than cruising, we have few places to go where we can dress up and enjoy fine dining, that's all, it's just a super treat to us!

Pete

happyscot, no mate, it's not egotistical at all, my wife and I were around the military all our lives and we just got used to being treated properly. There a very few restaurants in our locality where you do as you do on the Cunard line, and indeed on some other ships too, and it's nice to relive the experiences from yesteryear. Other than cruising, we have few places to go where we can dress up and enjoy fine dining, that's all, it's just a super treat to us!

Pete

Understood. But dress choices are an indication of dress choices, not of genetic superiority, that's all. But you didn't mean that.

Enjoy what you do, and Happy St Andrew's Day - Yipppeeeee!!!!!

JP2001 - I'm sure you're quite safe here. Mind you, I know how you feel. I visited the RCCL board and the first thread I found was really vicious. It scared me a lot, as my kids want to do RCCL.

As for the f word don't worry, I'm sure it will be perfectly fine for you to say it on the cruise. It is only the old people that think women shouldn't swear.

Hey jp2001,

why wouldn't you be welcome. Happyscot's never set foot on a Cunard ship either and he's welcome.

Well.... he's sort of welcome. At least he not unwelcome. Well not entirely unwelcome. OK..... if I were being honest there may be the odd occasion when he sort of get's just a tiny wee bit unwelcome.

But we love him just the same. Or rather, to be more accurate, we like him just the same. At any rate, we don't dislike him....

Ah, the hell with it. You're welcome.

Jimmy

Archived