insurance does it cover flights non ncl booked

honeydog714

when we had to cancel a disney cruise once our insurance also covered our flights even though we booked them independantly, we are going to have to cancel for medical reasons our christmas cruise and wonder if our independant air will be covered. Yes my TA is checking on it but I am impatient (and upset I won't be sailing in a few weeks:( )

we got it through NCL, their standard policy. It is for a covered reason but I am just wondering if our flights will be included.

yeah I am really dissapointed but boy I am glad we did take insurance, we have gambled way too many times, at least if I have to eat the air it is not as bad as the whole trip. good news is I already booked a new trip for when DH is recooperated from his surgery.

• Administrators
when we had to cancel a disney cruise once our insurance also covered our flights even though we booked them independantly, we are going to have to cancel for medical reasons our christmas cruise and wonder if our independant air will be covered. Yes my TA is checking on it but I am impatient (and upset I won't be sailing in a few weeks:( )

There's only one answer here -- read your insurance policy. It really doesn't matter where you booked it (through the cruiseline or independently) -- the only thing that's going to matter is what does the policy SAY it covers? Insurance is a contract... and it's the contract terms that apply and bind the insurer. I hope for your sake (and my best wishes to DH on his surgery for a speedy recovery!) that your airfare turns out to be covered. If not, at least you will know for next time to book a policy that does include all of the "incidentals" in a cruise vacation.

If you put the value of any non refundable air tickets, hotels, excursions in the total amount to be insured, they should be covered.

That being said....

if your TA purchased the insurance for you, it was up to them to make sure all parts of your trip were covered. If they tell you it is not, I would be upset with the TA for sure. I'd ask for the change costs when you hopefully rebook. That is why frequent travelers purchase their own insurance. You have more control of the coverage you need.

If you put the value of any non refundable air tickets, hotels, excursions in the total amount to be insured, they should be covered.

That being said....

if your TA purchased the insurance for you, it was up to them to make sure all parts of your trip were covered. If they tell you it is not, I would be upset with the TA for sure. I'd ask for the change costs when you hopefully rebook. That is why frequent travelers purchase their own insurance. You have more control of the coverage you need.

If the traveler bought insurance thru NCL and didn't buy air thru NCL - it won't be covered and why is that the TA's fault? NCL insurance will only cover what NCL sold the traveler.

To OP: even if your air is non-refundable - you'll still have a credit with the airline. The credit is usually good for 1 year from date of Purchase (not date of cancellation) -- so, if your re-booked trip is within that time frame -- re-book your air right away and use your credit. You will have to pay the change fee that the airline imposes. In the future - don't by cruise line insurance - go with an outside insurance vendor - your TA can help you find one that works for your situation -- make sure you purchase enough insurance to cover your airfare, cruise and any pre or post hotel nights -- and you'll never have this problem again.

I hope your DH is feeling better and back cruising real soon!:)

From NCL's insurance info:

"Air/Pre & Post Package - Protection Coverage

Coverage for air and Pre & Post Packages arranged by NCL are also included in Travel Protection or Travel Protection Platinum is purchased."

Looks like you're on your own for independently arranged air tickets.

Archived