The "Z"

mickeyfitz

Why a little z for Zaandam when she's senior to the Zuiderdam?

Candy, being the reigning ZuiderPrincess, just may have a bit of bias in that regard ;)

Why not just call these lovely vessels by their full names?

Greg, I do agree with you that these fine ships do deserve to be referred to by their given names.

Why a little z for Zaandam when she's senior to the Zuiderdam? Why not just call these lovely vessels by their full names?

True, but Zuiderdam is bigger than Zaandam, thus the big/little Zs. I refer to her as 'Zuidy' or 'Z' for the same reason my friends call me Candy instead of Candice.

C the ZP

You should take a trip over to the Princess boards - HAL's got it easy in comparison! So many posters refer to the "CP", leaving everyone to wonder if they're talking about the Crown, Coral or Caribbean Princess!

Princess has 2 charachter abbreviations for its ships:

AP - Grand Princess

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

CP - Sea Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

EP - Emerald Princess

GP - Regal Princess

IP - Island Princess

KP - Crown Princess

NP - Golden Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

SP - Sun Princess

TA - Tahitian Princess

TP - Star Princess

I usually refer to the Zuiderdam as the 'Big Z'...and would call the Zaandam the 'Little Z'. As Candy mentioned, based on size alone. After my first cruise on Zuiderdam in 2005, I called it 'Big Z' in my review, and I haven't been able to kick it ever since.

True, but Zuiderdam is bigger than Zaandam, thus the big/little Zs. I refer to her as 'Zuidy' or 'Z' for the same reason my friends call me Candy instead of Candice.

:)

It's one thing to orally reference a ship that way, and particularly so when the context makes it beyond-question WHICH "Z" you mean. But, on an internet board, and in a Thread Title, lacking any context it can be very confusing. As for differentiating between upper and lower case ... that's not always easy to do on some displays and with some fonts. I prefer to just write out the ship's name in full.

I usually refer to the Zuiderdam as the 'Big Z'...and would call the Zaandam the 'Little Z'. As Candy mentioned, based on size alone. After my first cruise on Zuiderdam in 2005, I called it 'Big Z' in my review, and I haven't been able to kick it ever since.

And, yet, aboard the Zaandam they often call her the "Big Z" ... so, can you see how confusion can reign with such shortenings.

The funniest (best) reference is for the Oosterdam. As James Deering once told me: "When things are going good, she's the Big-O, but when things are going bad she's the O-Dam."

And, yet, aboard the Zaandam they often call her the "Big Z" ... so, can you see how confusion can reign with such shortenings.

The funniest (best) reference is for the Oosterdam. As James Deering once told me: "When things are going good, she's the Big-O, but when things are going bad she's the O-Dam."

Wow Rev. I never looked at it that way................ya think they still gonna have pudding at the buffet I like pudding............

Archived