Anyone had luck getting a refund/credit from Hotwire?

travel07

We changed our cruise plans so that we are leaving a day earlier and switched cruise days. I had booked a room at the Hyatt in Miami through Hotwire for $260! (peak week)..I am going to lose the $ and the room unless anyone has ideas? Advice? They said i'm out of luck.

I tried immediately after receiving name/location of hotel. No luck. It was in a terrible location and far from the airport. Just wanted to change location not date. Oh well no more of that nonsense.. It also turned out to be next to a strip joint. No restaurant within walking except for Burger King that turned out to be disaterous (don't ask). Bottom line is you sometimes get you pay for lol.

I did it!!!:D :D I was able to get a refund from hotwire. Make sure you read all the fine print about the hotel. When the name of my hotel was shown I looked it up and found the hotel did not have a restaurant. I really didnt want the hotel that hotwire gave me so I called and told them they advertised the hotel to have a restaurant and that was one of the reasons I booked that hotel. Hotwire gladly gave me back my money!:p Check out all amenities and maybe you can find a way out. Good luck.;)

I was going to say... it might be worth giving them a call and asking for a supervisor. I haven't ever worked with Hotwire, but I was able to get a refund from Priceline one time. I got a whole "This is a one time only" speech, but they did refund me my money.

It's certainly worth a shot. Good luck.

I did!! With no hassle, either. We were booked on the Carnival Liberty, and I purchased a 4* at Ft. Lauderdale. Well, Carnival changed the itinerary on us, and we decided to do the Triumph instead. I needed a room for one day earlier, and in Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale. The guy I talked to told me to fax in the email I received about the itinerary change, and the confirmation showing I was now booked on the Triumph. I thought they would just give me a credit, and the guy also said there would be a $25 service fee deducted. Instead, they refunded my credit card, and for the exact amount I had paid. I guess we just got lucky; I couldn't believe my good fortune.

I say speak to a supervisor and explain the details. Beg, plead, do whatever!! IF you have any documents to prove why you need a room change, then fax those in along with your confirmation number. Best wishes!

I would even settle for a credit to use toward a rental car or something but the problem is we don't even need the room at all as we are now going to fly in the day of the cruise. The other cruise we booked left on Saturday, and this one leaves on Friday. I thought since we were paying $260 which is a high price they would negotiate. Also, its school vacation week in February and you know they can book the room again in a flash. They were rude when I called the first time and basically said tough luck.... I will try again today. Thanks for the advice!

As I see it, you originally had two choices. First being to book directly through the hotel at whatever their rate was for that day. The second was to go through one of the on-line services that get lower rates, and who make it quite clear that there are no changes, no refunds.

You opted for the second option with a lower rate. So, why do you feel they should change the rules for you? Do you think you are the only one who has ever run into a situation like this? You gambled, you lost. If these services made adjustments for everyone who lost out, they would not be around.

Sorry if this sounds callous, but people take their chances, and they don't always work out.

. I thought since we were paying $260 which is a high price they would negotiate. Also, its school vacation week in February and you know they can book the room again in a flash. They were rude when I called the first time and basically said tough luck.... I will try again today. Thanks for the advice!

It appears that you did not read the rules on using services like Hotwire and Priceline. There is no negotiating ... you pay a price and make a firm reservation. We learned this one time with Priceline. Fortunately, it was a one-night stay costing us only $55, but still ... we always read all of the fine print now before clicking "CONFIRM" on any website!

You can certainly call them and ask, but do not be surprised if they say no. Unfortunately this may be one of those expensive lessons!

Archived