Stinky Starfish...Help!

J's Gal

OK, ladies...I need a little help. We ordered our invitations early to take advantage of Michelle's Birthday Sale (mypersonalartist.com), they look fabulous by the way.:D But here is the problem, we ordered the starfish to tie around each bottle and boy, do they ever stink. The entire box they were in is just outrageous! I can only image the look on my guests face when they open the box and are completely overwhelmed with the smell! :eek: Any suggestions to help get rid of the awful smell?

I was in your shoes not long ago! I went through batches of starfish to get rid of the smell. Finally, a friend gave me the best idea - and it worked, and it's so easy!

Clear spraypaint. A few coats and you're good to go.

I sent mine in boxes along with my invitations. I added a few drops of coconut scented oil from Bath & Body Works and it worked miracles! Our invitees opened the invitation with a nice tropical smell!

Good luck! You can do it!

Kelly :)

I was looking at the bottle of invitations, but was worried that it was going to cost and arm and a leg to ship. Would you mind telling me what your shipping cost is on the average?

I have also used clear spray paint to get rid of the smell of shells and starfish.

Soaking them in bleach will get rid of the smell.

I tried the bleach thing, and the starfish actually made the bleach smell fishy! :eek:

Didn't work for me...I had to throw a couple dozen of them out and start over. I ordered my final batch of starfish from US shell dot com, and they say that theirs are "craft-ready", that might have made a difference too.

Isn't this stuff fun??? :rolleyes:

WOW! Thanks ladies, looks like I have a little work to do! :) Good thing we have plenty of time thanks to Michelle's sale. Thanks for all the fabulous ideas, although the thought of a mixture "pulling dead tissue out" does kind of creep me out!:o

For the poster who was inquiring about shipping costs, honestly, I have no idea. But we only have 30 to send out, so we said to heck with it and went all out on these!

My neighbor made starfish favors and she soaked them in a mix of bleach and water and then hung them outside on a drying rack for a few days. I like the spraypaint and coconut oil scent idea! I think that's what I'll do. Good luck, and please let me know what you do and it it works!

Archived