Crocodiles while cave tubing?

zachnlucy

I'm almost positive there wouldn't be any crocodiles in the river where the cave tubing is, but would like some assurances. :o

NCL has a few river boat excursions that offer possible viewing of crocodiles while going down the river. Surely it's a different river than the cave tubing river, right? I mean, I haven't read anything about cave tubing folks being eaten by crocs in Belize.

When one of the posters wrote in to ask if Crocs® were a good choice for cave tubing footwear, she just wrote, "What about crocs?" The rest is urban legend. Sorry! :o:rolleyes:

If you WANT to read the thread, it is entitled "Cave Tubing Footwear," posts number 24 and following.

There are a few crocodiles left in Florida, for that matter, but they haven't had much effect on tourism. This is the American crocodile, and the same species is available for your surprise and delight in Belize. According to the 2005 Travellers' Wildlife Guides' Belize & Northern Guatemala by Les Beletsky, these and the smaller Morelet's Crocodile are the only two crocodilians available in Belize--the beloved Spectacled Caiman is found on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, a rather far swim for attacking you.

As my wife and I will be at risk for a couple of weeks in the beginning of January 2008, I have been reading with some interest a number of books and articles and news stories from or about Belize, and crocodiles of any species do not seem to be high on anyone's fear agenda. Belize, after all, is not Logan International Airport, where a teenager with blinking lights on her sweatshirt can send thousands of lemmings over a cliff. Mosquitoes, with their potential as vectors of both malaria (from the Anopheles mosquito, an evening and night stalker--no imminent threat to cruise ship passengers on shore excursions) and dengue fever (from the Aedes spp., a day feeder), are the subjects of great public interest and copious use of insect repellent. And of course you have read elsewhere no doubt of the Belize fire ants, the tarantulas, and the fer-de-lance, a snake with no sense of humor. Just watch where you put your hands and feet! You may be at your safest while cave tubing! :D

Archived