Mr Barbados - Please help - Crane Beach

kitty1

We too just returned from Crane Beach, but we took a cab there, costing us $40 ship to Crane to Boatyard for two of us. We had lunch in the Hotel overlooking the beach. Wonderful! I had grilled mahi mahi, and DH had the Flying Fish. We simply walked on the beach after lunch, because we really wanted to spend the afternoon at the Boatyard. This was a wonderful meal with the most relaxing enjoyable view! Thanks, Islander!

So pleased that you had a great time at the Crane!

They told me that if I sent enough people there, that I would get a free lunch (just kidding!).

It's a very special place, indeed, yes? ...... :) :) :)

My pictures are now posted at the website below. I'm so proud of my Crane Beach pictures, they're almost as good as those posted by Mr. Barbados. This was absolutely the most beautiful beach we've ever seen! Not to be missed! I know we'll be back!

judyjbest, you’re much too modest! Your pictures are just terrific!

Actually, they are some of the best photos that I’ve seen of Crane Beach, I think you’re a professional, yes?

I’m so pleased you were able to enjoy our little slice of heaven and I hope you get the chance to return soon!

Best Regards,

-b- :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mr. Barbados,

We definitely plan to go to the Crane Beach on our cruise stop at Barbados, based on your recommedation and other people's raving about it. (I am even compiling my own "the Crane" Word document with images, suggestions, and even menus at the hotel.) I am just wondering if there is a need to go to any other beaches (thinking about Mullins and Paynes) after our visit to the Crane. We will only be taking in natural scenery during this visit (but no cave and flower this time for sure), so no historic sites in the plan. Being our time in port will be 9:30am-6pm (arr-dep), and the Crane beach will be our first stop, should we just take it easy at the Crane and go back to the ship, or any other relaxing/breathtaking spots we should do after we've "had enough" of the Crane? Thank you very much and look forward to hearing your expert suggestions as always.

Sophie

Hi, Sophie!

If you haven’t done so before, you have a wonderful opportunity to see some of our most beautiful scenery after you visit the Crane.

I would settle-up with your cab driver upon your arrival at Crane and stay to your heart’s content.

Should you find you still have a few hours left before you have to return to the ship, I would hire a cab at the Crane and go up the East Coast Road.

There is some wonderful scenery between Crane and Lakes Beach (about two miles above Bathsheba). Lakes Beach is where you’d turn west through the Scotland District of St. Andrew to arrive at our West Coast at Speightstown.

From Speightstown south you will pass by most of the West Coast beaches: Mullins, Paynes, Folkstown and Batts, then you’re at the ship.

Time from Lakes Beach back to the ship (without stopping for too long!) is about 75 minutes, or so.

You’ll get to see our breathtaking East Coast, some of the northern interior and most of our west, or gold coast with a little extra investment in time and cab fare.

By doing your return trip going NE, NW and then west, it will enable you to see : Sam Lord’s Castle; Bottom Bay; Ragged Point; Conset Bay; Congor Rocks; Tent Bay; Bathsheba; Chalky Mountain Potteries (stop if you have time!); our northern interior and all of the west coast except for 3 miles of it north of Speightstown. Extra cost? Perhaps and additional US$40 for up to four in the cab (above what you paid to get to Crane).

My best wishes for a wonderful time on the island! :)

Dear Mr. Barbados,

What a customized itinerary! Thank you so much for offering such a wonderful plan. We'll make sure to report back when we are back from our Jan. cruise stop. I am sure we will be more than satisfied. Thanks again.

Sophie

Sophie,

When the sky is deep blue, the air temperature is 85, the water temperature is 81 and you have a gentle E-NE trade wind blowing at 15 MPH……everything looks wonderful! Especially when you’ve left a place with 3’ of snow on the ground and 20 degrees is the high temperature for the day! LOL

I just know you’ll have a wonderful time; You’ve got a good plan that is simple and doesn’t try to encompass everything in eight hours. It can’t miss!

I’m looking forward to your report in January, however I may not be able to answer until April, as January is when we leave for the island and don’t return until the spring.

Again, best wishes for a safe and happy trip….Maybe I’ll see you at The Crane! :)

-b-

You keep making it easier and easier....I truly appreciate it.

(I'll just sit back and wait for someone else to ask the good questions (that I don't think of).

ALTHO....

I've found sites for the Atlantis Hotel and the Edgewater Inn. Are these sites for the same place (sometimes you can't tell which sites have been abandoned). They are both in Bathsheba...they sound alike, yet different...do you know?

You keep making it easier and easier....I truly appreciate it.

(I'll just sit back and wait for someone else to ask the good questions (that I don't think of).

ALTHO....

I've found sites for the Atlantis Hotel and the Edgewater Inn. Are these sites for the same place (sometimes you can't tell which sites have been abandoned). They are both in Bathsheba...they sound alike, yet different...do you know?

They’re different, believe me. They’re different.

They’re both in St. Joseph in the Bathsheba area, but The Atlantis is in Tent Bay and The Edgewater is in Bathsheba Beach. Less than a mile apart.

The Atlantis is well known for its wonderful daily and Sunday buffets and its generally well priced Barbadian fare. Rooms are modest, but clean. Staff is friendly and available.

The Edgewater looks good in their photos, but most visitors here are disappointed with the rooms, the grounds and the food. Reservations must be pre-paid in advance and are non-refundable .

We’ve seen no improvement with the last two owners. If you have a free hour to kill, go take a walk-around at the Edgewater and you’ll see what I mean.

Not all that appears to glitter in Barbados is gold. ;)

-b-

Hi Folks.... I started this post several months ago. We returned from the Serenade a week ago. We really wanted to go to Crane Beach, but we decided not to go because the water was rough the day we were there, and we decided that it would be too rough to go to Crane. We decided instead to go to Folkstone marine park because we were told it was a good place to go snorkeling, but that too was a disappointment. After paying $20 for a cab ride out there the water was too choppy and stirred up to go snorkeling and not a good beach because it's very rocky. We flagged down another cab driver and asked him to take us to the Boatyard. So basically for $40 we took a ride out to Folkstone and back, and drove past Sandy Lane were Tiger got married. Got the Tiger spiel from the cab driver. That was a waste of an hour and $40. Asked the driver to drop us off at the Boatyard. At the Boatyard we found someone to take us snorkeling for $10 to a shipwreck nearby. The snorkeling was good, but the water was not as crystal clear as it usually is in Barbados. We spent a relaxing day at the Boatyard then returned to the ship. We'd been to Barbados before, so we enjoyed just relaxing at the Boatyard.

• 2 months later...

Archived