Genesis ships to be based in FLL

jleq

Wow, the numbers are staggering. But $5.70 coming and going? When will they collect that? Will it be added to the cruisefare along with the taxes and port fees? So, we add $11.40 to use FLL, $35 per person in fuel surcharge for a 7 day, and then add taxes and port fees. And people hollared when Alaska added a $50 per cruiser user fee!

Well after last weeks fiasco coming and going, FLL had better do a heck of a lot more training and upgrading on taking care of ships that size as they cannot even handle the Navigator right now. I guess that means both Freedom class ships stay in Miami. Wonder where that leaves Pt. Canaveral?

Wow, the numbers are staggering. But $5.70 coming and going? When will they collect that? Will it be added to the cruisefare along with the taxes and port fees? So, we add $11.40 to use FLL, $35 per person in fuel surcharge for a 7 day, and then add taxes and port fees. And people hollared when Alaska added a $50 per cruiser user fee!

They will more than likely add it to the non commissionable fees that you pay now when booking a cruise.

Well after last weeks fiasco coming and going, FLL had better do a heck of a lot more training and upgrading on taking care of ships that size as they cannot even handle the Navigator right now. I guess that means both Freedom class ships stay in Miami. Wonder where that leaves Pt. Canaveral?

Were going on the NOS this monday, lets hope they are doing better then what happened with you. On the bright side of things, we live in Ft lauderdale so we have no flights to catch. But I fully understand the frustration of standing in lines when getting off the ship. We intend to be at the port at 11:30 hope they have their act together with getting on the ship.. If they don't I will follow up like you did with a letter.

wow...i don't have any intention of cruising on the genesis sized ships....way too big! and I hate the FLL airport (we stood in line there forever)....so, it looks like we will be sailing from Miami! But I wish Royal Caribbean well with this new venture!

Beverly

I posted this on a Navigator related thread but I feel that it fits on this thread too. I sent an email to the port about the embarkation/debarkation process and here is the reply sent to me. The port has a lot of work to do in two years to get ready for Genesis. The ones highlighted in red are going to have be completed before Genesis arrives to make it work.

Dear Mr. ........,

Thank you for alerting us to the problems that you experienced at Port Everglades during your recent cruise aboard Navigator of the Seas. I am copying this email to our Port Director Phillip C. Allen so he is aware of your concerns as well.

You are correct that many of the cruise terminals are outdated and in need of upgrades. If fact, the terminal where you disembarked was built in 1968 and has had only minor renovations over the years.

On Tuesday, December 4, we will be presenting the Port Everglades Master/Vision Plan to the Broward County Board of County Commissioners for their final approval. In the first five years of the plan, the following improvements will be made in the cruise areas of the Port:

Six of Port Everglades’ 12 cruise terminals would be renovated or expanded.

Terminal 18 will undergo two phases of renovations. The first phase will convert approximately 33,000 square feet of existing warehouse space into a cruise ship passenger baggage area capable of accommodating a Voyager-class cruise ship with 3,100 passengers. The second phase would accommodate a Genesis-class ship of 5,400 to 6,400 passengers and would provide an additional 72,000 square feet of interior space.

Terminal 4 in the Northport section of Port Everglades and Terminal 19 in Midport are slated to be redeveloped and expanded to accommodate larger cruise ships. Adjacent Terminals 21 and 22 would be combined so that there is more space for passengers and baggage sailing on mega-cruise ships. And Terminal 2 in Northport will be renovated with a new entrance lobby as part the separation of the Broward County Convention Center from the seaport.

A 1,200 parking space parking structure will be added to the Midport cruise area, which would provide for a total of 3,203 spaces in the Midport area.

We have asked U.S. Customs and Border Protection to investigate why there were not enough agents to efficiently handle the number of passengers on this ship. Hopefully this problem will be remedied for the sailing this weekend.

We are sorry that you have been disappointed when sailing through Port Everglades. Please stay tuned as we strive to improve our facilities.

Ellen Kennedy

Manager of Corporate & Community Relations

Port Everglades

1850 Eller Drive

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

954-468-3508 office phone

954-868-0220 mobile phone

954-765-5345 fax

ekennedy@broward.org

www.broward.org/port

Roadways leading to and from the cruise terminal areas would also be widened and improved to accommodate more taxis and for more efficient traffic flow.

Now they can get on with announcing what ship will replace the Mariner at PC.

Doesn't look like it will be the Freedom or Liberty since Miami was not affected by this. I wonder if RCI will just place a replacement ship in Pt. Canaveral part of the year when the Independence or Navigator returns from Europe like they did in Galveston? Unless Europe starts to slow down, I don't see RCI pulling a ship from across the pond to place in Pt. Canaveral year round. I guess time will tell.

As far as the fees. You can bet that this would not be the first time that a passenger has paid fees like this. RCI had to upgrade the Miami terminals in the late 90's to handle the Voyager class ships. Who do you think paid for those upgrades?

I didn't know you had problems with your last cruise. Now I need to go search out that thread.

jleq - Thank you for posting that link.

I didn't know you had problems with your last cruise. Now I need to go search out that thread.

jleq - Thank you for posting that link.

Michelle, it was just with the embarkation(which I found out the reason for later on in the cruise) and debarkation process. RCI and the port did not have their act together at all. The rest of the cruise was very nice and we had a great time. I love the Navigator as she still remains one of my all time favorite ships. :)

What you told us and posted was an article stating that Pt. Everglades was in the running and "might" get the Genesis class ships. It was a 50/50 bet which way RCI would go with the homeports. The same article that you read, so did many of the rest of us that have been following the stores printed in the local Florida newspapers.

Michelle, it was just with the embarkation(which I found out the reason for later on in the cruise) and debarkation process. RCI and the port did not have their act together at all. The rest of the cruise was very nice and we had a great time. I love the Navigator as she still remains one of my all time favorite ships. :)

I just went and read your Live thread. It honestly sounds like the way Freedom disembarks in Miami...4,500 passengers with 4 agents. :rolleyes: So if FLL is worse than Miami, I am almost afraid to be one of the first on Genesis. :(

I am really hoping they have it all worked out by the time Genesis arrives.

WOW. That is an interesting article. I really thought it would be Miami, but Port Everglades is better, because I always fly in FLL no matter what. I knew that Port Canaveral would be out of the question, because its probably too far north for the big ship to travel to the ports.

I posted this on a Navigator related thread but I feel that it fits on this thread too. I sent an email to the port about the embarkation/debarkation process and here is the reply sent to me. The port has a lot of work to do in two years to get ready for Genesis. The ones highlighted in red are going to have be completed before Genesis arrives to make it work.

Dear Mr. ........,

Thank you for alerting us to the problems that you experienced at Port Everglades during your recent cruise aboard Navigator of the Seas. I am copying this email to our Port Director Phillip C. Allen so he is aware of your concerns as well.

You are correct that many of the cruise terminals are outdated and in need of upgrades. If fact, the terminal where you disembarked was built in 1968 and has had only minor renovations over the years.

On Tuesday, December 4, we will be presenting the Port Everglades Master/Vision Plan to the Broward County Board of County Commissioners for their final approval. In the first five years of the plan, the following improvements will be made in the cruise areas of the Port:

Six of Port Everglades’ 12 cruise terminals would be renovated or expanded.

Terminal 18 will undergo two phases of renovations. The first phase will convert approximately 33,000 square feet of existing warehouse space into a cruise ship passenger baggage area capable of accommodating a Voyager-class cruise ship with 3,100 passengers. The second phase would accommodate a Genesis-class ship of 5,400 to 6,400 passengers and would provide an additional 72,000 square feet of interior space.

Terminal 4 in the Northport section of Port Everglades and Terminal 19 in Midport are slated to be redeveloped and expanded to accommodate larger cruise ships. Adjacent Terminals 21 and 22 would be combined so that there is more space for passengers and baggage sailing on mega-cruise ships. And Terminal 2 in Northport will be renovated with a new entrance lobby as part the separation of the Broward County Convention Center from the seaport.

A 1,200 parking space parking structure will be added to the Midport cruise area, which would provide for a total of 3,203 spaces in the Midport area.

We have asked U.S. Customs and Border Protection to investigate why there were not enough agents to efficiently handle the number of passengers on this ship. Hopefully this problem will be remedied for the sailing this weekend.

We are sorry that you have been disappointed when sailing through Port Everglades. Please stay tuned as we strive to improve our facilities.

Ellen Kennedy

Manager of Corporate & Community Relations

Port Everglades

1850 Eller Drive

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

954-468-3508 office phone

954-868-0220 mobile phone

954-765-5345 fax

ekennedy@broward.org

www.broward.org/port

Roadways leading to and from the cruise terminal areas would also be widened and improved to accommodate more taxis and for more efficient traffic flow.

After you posted your letter in the other thread I wrote her to. I stayed away from mentioning yours because I want to see if she spews that crap about 3,100 Voyager class again. The Independence will be in Ft Lauderdale in less than a year. It's 3700 passenger vessel.

Here is the letter I wrote

Dear Mrs Kennedy,

first of all I like to congratulate you for receiving the OK for the Genesis of the Seas and the Creation of the Seas. With those two vessels plus the Independence in 2008 my home port will be home to the 3 largest cruise ships in the world. But with this being said I like to give you a view of a cruiser. I just returned from a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas and I was tremendously disappointed in the general port operations. Computers and security equipment weren't working after the check-in which created a stand still at approx 11am. Usually at this time there should be no delays since most cruisers arrive and check-in after 12pm. At disembarkation it was nightmare. Lines everywhere, several stops and holds because of luggage back up. I have cruised out of Miami before and the Freedom Class has much less problems. Even sailing on the Enchantment out of Port Everglades we had very little or no problems. I surely hope that you will take a cruisers advice and improve the operations at Port Everglades.

The Navigator is currently the largest ship to dock in Port Everglades but it is nothing compared to the Independence and no match for the Genesis Class. Currently it is a disaster with the Navigator. I hope it will not become a mega disaster with the mega ship Independence and I hope we don't end up with a total meltdown with the Genesis Class. It wouldn't be fair to Royal Caribbean and its commitment to Port Everglades and it would be a dark spot on the reputation of my home port.

BTW, one improvement can be made on a home computer. When exiting the luggage terminal at berth 25 there is no signs directing cruisers to private shuttle pick up. The directions given are conflicting first leading towards 25, then directed towards 21 and then after being yelled at by a BSO employee back to 25. It was 10 minute Ft Lauderdale excursion in the blasting sun with heavy luggage I recommend to strike of the 'recommended tourist attractions' ;-)

Thank you very much and good luck.

xxxxx xxxxxx

People find the greates information to share with others! Thanks for posting and for sharing the problems with FLL That's good to know in advance to prepare for long lines and for being patient! Hubby and I have yet to cruise the Freedom Class because of the cost! We still have to sail on Freedom beofre we ever think about Genesis! there will be many people that will not care about the cost! I know we're not in that category! I would also like to sail on either the Navigator or the Mariner before we sail on Genesis! The only time Hubby and I sailed on brand new ships was on the Radiance, Adventure and Jewel of the Seas all just within a matter of days or weeks from their maiden cruise because that's when we got awesome deals on balcony staterooms! Not too many people were traveling back in the Fall and December of 2001 and 2002! Hubby and I have finally just cruised the Explorer for the 7 night Bermuda/Boston sailing! We want to sail on the Explorer before we even think about sailing on Genesis so I think it will be about 5 to 10 years before we set sail on Genesis! I'm hoping in 2009 we could get a deal on Freedom of the Seas either in May or early December! We're only 1 cruise away from Diamond and then we get to use the CL Lounge! Yipee!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

I was pretty much right on with the Genesis (though the Creation is a surprise). I was waiting for the announcement on the Genesis to see how reliable my source was before I say anything else.

Thoughts are that possibly the Navigator will be moved to Port Canaveral with the positioning of the Genesis. If the Navigator is moved another ship will be repositioned to replace her (Vision Class?).

Archived