Footwear for cave tubing

WM Cruiser

We leave on the Glory in 14 days we are planning to do cave tubing in Belize with 5 kids 4 to 9. What shoes? Will crocs shoes work?

I haven't gone yet (April:D ) but from what I have read they say watershoes are the best. I think crocs might fall off:confused:

We leave on the Glory in 14 days we are planning to do cave tubing in Belize with 5 kids 4 to 9. What shoes? Will crocs shoes work?

water shoes would be best or a pair of sneakers that you are willing to get dirty and wet ......it can get slippery when walking thru the rainforest and getting in and out of the water when entering the caves.

Five pairs of water shoes--or seven, if one assumes two adults will be along--could make the tour rather expensive. It is my understanding that water shoes are available for RENT on location, and the price that has been thrown around is $3 a pair--perhaps you could get a wholesale rate. :rolleyes:

Cave tubing in Belize has become a well-greased operation by now, and despite the desire of every United States citizen to reinvent the wheel at each port of call on each cruise, sometimes it is better to sit back and leave the driving to the locals. $21 to cover fourteen feet for a few hours is quite a bargain IMHO. Cheaper than popcorn at the movies.

Five pairs of water shoes--or seven, if one assumes two adults will be along--could make the tour rather expensive. It is my understanding that water shoes are available for RENT on location, and the price that has been thrown around is $3 a pair--perhaps you could get a wholesale rate. :rolleyes:

Cave tubing in Belize has become a well-greased operation by now, and despite the desire of every United States citizen to reinvent the wheel at each port of call on each cruise, sometimes it is better to sit back and leave the driving to the locals. $21 to cover fourteen feet for a few hours is quite a bargain IMHO. Cheaper than popcorn at the movies.

WHo in the heck said anything about a # of shoes ??? I have water shoes that I bought specific for cruise vacations and have lasted 5 years or more so your theory of making the tour expensive is really irrelative.

I guess I have NO CLUE what your next paragraph is referring to regarding the OP question.... care to enlighten, "oh philosopher of the boards" ?

I refer you to the original poster of this thread (see post 1), who seemed concerned that he or she was responsible for the well-being of five children for whom I incautiously and perhaps insensitively inferred ownership of ten feet collectively. If there were two parents along, they might have another four feet between them, adding up to fourteen for the excursion.

My observation was wholly subjective, as I personally would find it expensive (having already paid for cruises and perhaps airfare and ice cream) to add the expense of seven pairs of water shoes which for some of us, who are perhaps not so well traveled as others, have a limited use. Certainly there are many on the Boards for whom a hundred pairs of shoes for one excursion would be as nothing--but I certainly intended no reflection on your advice, which in fact I have followed on behalf of myself and my wife in the form of very nice Merrell water shoes at about eighty bucks a pop.

Perhaps the word you were seeking was "irrelevant" rather than "irrelative"?--although it is true that my post did not--nor was it intended to--"relate" to yours--in any case, it was only a suggestion . . . . :(

I refer you to the original poster of this thread (see post 1), who seemed concerned that he or she was responsible for the well-being of five children for whom I incautiously and perhaps insensitively inferred ownership of ten feet collectively. If there were two parents along, they might have another four feet between them, adding up to fourteen for the excursion.

My observation was wholly subjective, as I personally would find it expensive (having already paid for cruises and perhaps airfare and ice cream) to add the expense of seven pairs of water shoes which for some of us, who are perhaps not so well traveled as others, have a limited use. Certainly there are many on the Boards for whom a hundred pairs of shoes for one excursion would be as nothing--but I certainly intended no reflection on your advice, which in fact I have followed on behalf of myself and my wife in the form of very nice Merrell water shoes at about eighty bucks a pop.

Perhaps the word you were seeking was "irrelevant" rather than "irrelative"?--although it is true that my post did not--nor was it intended to--"relate" to yours--in any case, it was only a suggestion . . . . :(

As usual.... you are on top of spelling errors on my part.... and again, we have made up over a silly issue !

Your posts are always a wealth of knowledge, I just sometimes have a hard time grasping your comments and their meanings !

Some kind of water shoes or old tennies are needed. Either ones you already have, cheapies from Wal-mart, or rent at the site. I personally don't think crocs would work very well, but maybe someone has used them and can let you know. I used my Tevas, which (aside to Driftwood) I have had for at least ten years and take regularly on active vacations. They've been a good investment since I seldom use them otherwise.

I too would think twice or thrice about buying expensive water shoes like Keens for a family of 7. They do have cheap knock-offs at places like Pay-less.

As usual.... you are on top of spelling errors on my part.... and again, we have made up over a silly issue !

Your posts are always a wealth of knowledge, I just sometimes have a hard time grasping your comments and their meanings !

My translation of the message was.."Why buy a bunch of watershoes when you can rent them. You may not have the opportunity to use them again so save your money and spend it elsewhere". I would imagine that anybody else that read it walked away with the same thoughts. It was a very constructive idea and I think that is what my wife and I may opt to do.

It is possible that Travel Angel politely was trying to tell me to shut up, and honestly I cannot be told often enough: BECAUSE DRIFTWOOD HAS NOT YET BEEN TO BELIZE AND HE WILL NOT BE THERE UNTIL JANUARY FIFTH 2008 (for a two-week stay). HE DOES NOT KNOW FOR A FACT THAT WATER SHOES ARE AVAILABLE FOR RENT OR SALE ANYWHERE IN BELIZE, although he has heard representations to the effect that rentals are available and at the time reported were available at $3 US or $6 BZ per pair. As with bowling shoe rentals, it is also unknown whether various specific sizes are or will be available. ANY OBSERVATIONS BY DRIFTWOOD MUST BE TAKEN CUM GRANO SALIS, AS HE IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE OR EVEN A SHILL OF THE CRUISE CRITIC OPERATION, NOR DOES HE REPRESENT ANYONE OTHER THAN HIMSELF AND HIS OWN INFLATED EGO and perhaps two cats, a calico and an almost-black; NOR IS HE BONDED, INSURED, OR OTHERWISE PROFITABLE TO MEMBERS OF THE LEGAL PROFESSION OR THEIR PROCESSES. So please be advised and govern your travel decisions accordingly. BEST WISHES AND SAFE TRAVEL TO ALL! :D

The observation is that you will be hiking for a bit, and then stepping into the river. You will need something securely on your feet. With that many children, you probably have some old sneaks laying around. Take them along. For the children that you don't have a pair for, get cheap water shoes or rent.

You may want to bring the crocs along with the change of clothes for a dry trip back to port.

You might check with the tour guide about finding a way to donate your old sneaks. There is a need in some places.

My daughter wears her crocs all the time. They have a strap that goes across the back, or she can snap it to the top of the shoe to make them slide-ins. Maybe the op's kids have these type?

I wore my Crocs as well and they were comfortable and fit snuggly. They were very comfortable for the hikes and all I had to do was rinse the mud off when we were done.

Archived