Unreliable NCL Food Reviews

ctdahlquist

In our one and only cruise on Carnival, this past June, we had serious problems with the food. Bad shellfish, cold food (sitting too long), and, worst of all, food that disagreed with us.

That's the worst sin a ship can commit: Food not kept properly hot. First off, hot food that isn't hot is unpleasant. Second, it's a health hazard.

Frequently food can be very, very rich. That can be hard on digestions. Or on certain nights the selection gets very thin if you don't eat meat, or don't eat, say, garlic.

One of the things I LOVE that I don't get ashore are the cold soups that they serve--fruit-based--I love 'em! My family thinks I'm nuts but since I'm happy, they are happy.

But the desserts are usually, to my taste: Soggy or grainy or flavorless. I find ALL the desserts in the cafeteria taste like nothing. I inevitably take one bite, and push it away.

We were in Cagney's, on the Jewel, and tried the New England Clam Chowder. Having had NE Chowder all over America (including NE), I can say that not only was it NOT New England Clam Chowder, it was inedible.

But still, the MOST amazing thing has been sailing SO many times on the Dawn (out of New York for years) and going on the Star last summer, and the Star's food being FAR better than the Dawn--when they should be the same.

How is that?

Yes, there is no excuse when food is uncooked, and those types of observations are very helpful, as are the observations that describe personal tastes in relation to food impressions.

Regarding your observations of the desserts on Carnival, I would have to agree with your thoughts. It seems that some of the pies/desserts I sammpled on the Carnival Spirit were made with some type of artificial foamy material that tasted very bland. I've not found this on any of the other lines I've sailed on, so perhaps it is characteristic of Carnival?

LOL, another person here who agrees w/ as long as I don't have to cook it, it's fine;)

Everyone has a different opinion:) Heck, my kids would eat mac n cheese every night if I let them:)

I personally enjoy reading ALL the reviews:)

Taste of food is so subjective. You can send food back if over or under cooked and/or brought to the table cold instead of hot. That is a service problem. Taste of food, either eat it, put salt/pepper on it, then eat it, or order a different selection and tell your waiter that it didn't taste good. Leave a detailed comment card on what the dish needed to make it more palatable and turn it in to the chef.

Eat, drink, and be merry.... for when the cruise is over, we shall diet.....

As long as the food don't come up after its gone down I will be happy. Its eatible. My doctor has placed me on a no salt diet. My wife has thrown the salt shaker away. While I hate no salt food I don't have a choice anymore.

I hope I never see another post like this again. If everyone felt like you they would be feeding us the Hometown Buffet. And please, don't ever invite me to your home for dinner!

I hope I never see another post like this again. If everyone felt like you they would be feeding us the Hometown Buffet. And please, don't ever invite me to your home for dinner!

Ummmm... do you just not like the 'picture' he painted? Like food, humour is subjective; I thought making a joke about liking all food unless it makes you sick was actually quite appropriate for the thread. I disagree that if everyone were less picky there would be less variety of food, and I can't think of a reason that the poster would not be a good host or eating companion. I can understand not finding humour in his joke, but it's no reason to be rude. :cool:

I find it really funny that in this thread, the point is basically that regardless of how much experience you have with food, where you've eaten, or where you come from, opinions about food are still absolutely personal and cannot be expected to apply to everyone's taste - and yet there are still posters who feel they have to point out that although that is true, for some reason, they are somehow suited to make more credible reviews. :p

Even the most respected food critics have different personal tastes compared to others. One of the posters made a comparison between a food critic and a movie critic. I couldn't agree more that this is a perfect comparison. Some people like dramas; I hate dramas - especially the ones commonly referred to as 'chick flicks'. I hate stereotypes to start with, and having an entire, weepy genre of movies attributed to my gender is totally offensive to me - especially since the person I know who loves them the most is a man - and a straight man! ha ha ha My sister loves them as well. I doubt we could find a movie to go see together, in fact. I've never seen Titanic, but at the same time, I can guarantee she's never seen The Mummy.

Similarly, I like juicy red meat, cooked rare; I love brussels sprouts and asparagus; I think just about any non-sweet food can be improved with mushrooms... My sister dislikes red meat and if she has no choice prefers it charred to almost crispy; she would much rather eat fruit than any vegetable; she hates mushrooms. I like cream sauces, she likes tomato sauces. I like mashed, she likes baked. So... here we are, two people who grew up in the same home, with the same great cooking, and yet our tastes are completely different. She became a pastry chef and I developed an interest in appetizers and entrees. (my mushroom rolls are to die for!! **if you like mushrooms**) We've had similar travels, including cruises, and have been exposed to fine dining and buffet lines and everything in between.

Could we both find food we enjoy on a cruise? I have to say unequivocally 'yes'. For me, I just tend to like a lot more flavours and textures than she does, and my past experience supports my belief that I will never go hungry on a cruise. (and as has been noted, any food that is prepared for me, served to me, and cleaned up for me is always going to be good!) For my sister, knowing that she can order a chicken breast at any time leads me to believe that she would be fine as well. Chances are that's not what she'd do, but what I'm trying to illustrate is that even the pickiest person I can think of could find food I know she'd be happy with on a cruise.

My mom made a comment the other day about someone we know who has recently moved into an assisted living apartment. She complains about the food constantly. What my mom noted was that this is the first time in her life (of 77 years) she's ever eaten 'dorm food'. She had never lived in residence or in any situation where her meals were served in a cafeteria or other industrial setting. Talk about a rude awakening!! ha ha ha So maybe the people who complain are just spoiled - and I don't mean that in a nasty way - I just mean perhaps they've somehow gone through life having their tastes catered to perfectly and this is the first time they're experiencing mass produced fare... Compared to some of the residence food I've had in my life, though, cruises ARE gourmet!!! It's all about perspective!! :p

Archived