Has anyone ever had to use trip insurance

sandestination

:( My husband has come down with Bell's Palsy a paralysis of 1 side of the face...They say caused from a virus cuases the ear canal to swell pinching the nerves that run through it or something to that affect. He unfortunately has had this before and this is the 3rd time. It always clears up but can take as much as 3 weeks and usually left with some sort of loss, no tears, droopy eyelid.... Anyway if it doesn't start to improve before we leave Friday and he can't eat or is in pain we will have to cancel. My TA said we are out of luck with the cruise Line of which I understand. She said we would have to call the insurance company and send them a letter from the doctor or whatever else in the way of documentation.....and they should cut us a check. has anyone ever had to do this? At least we could re book if worse came to worse but not without a refund. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

:( My husband has come down with Bell's Palsy a paralysis of 1 side of the face...They say caused from a virus cuases the ear canal to swell pinching the nerves that run through it or something to that affect. He unfortunately has had this before and this is the 3rd time. It always clears up but can take as much as 3 weeks and usually left with some sort of loss, no tears, droopy eyelid.... Anyway if it doesn't start to improve before we leave Friday and he can't eat or is in pain we will have to cancel. My TA said we are out of luck with the cruise Line of which I understand. She said we would have to call the insurance company and send them a letter from the doctor or whatever else in the way of documentation.....and they should cut us a check. has anyone ever had to do this? At least we could re book if worse came to worse but not without a refund. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

I have never had to use it.. but this seems like a pre-existing condition.. do you have that covered with your insurance company.. if so.. there shouldn't be a problem

My Mother used the insurance once. She contacted them and they sent her papers for the Dr. to fill out. He faxed them to the insurance company. It was a fairly easy process and they sent her a check. They also paid for my sisters part of the room when the cost went up because she was considered a single traveler when my Mom had to cancel.

I have never had to use it.. but this seems like a pre-existing condition.. do you have that covered with your insurance company.. if so.. there shouldn't be a problem

well they can't call it pre existing since the last time was in 1983 and this just happened and we booked back in june and paid in full in august. our medical covers so I assume all I need is a letter from the doctor stating unable to travel at this time

Call the insurance people. They will send you a form to fill out, then you take it to the doctor to fill out another part, then send it in.

I had my check in about 3 weeks.

Great THANK YOU. I will call Monday just in case. I sure need to take him on a vacation

Lynda

well they can't call it pre existing since the last time was in 1983 and this just happened and we booked back in june and paid in full in august. our medical covers so I assume all I need is a letter from the doctor stating unable to travel at this time

I do not know what pre existing conditions are regarding insurance..your insurance company will know.. I hope all works out for you.. and you can enjoy a cruise in the future:)

My Mother used the insurance once. She contacted them and they sent her papers for the Dr. to fill out. He faxed them to the insurance company. It was a fairly easy process and they sent her a check. They also paid for my sisters part of the room when the cost went up because she was considered a single traveler when my Mom had to cancel.

Not quite sure I understand. Won't the check be re issued for both of us so we can go together. Surely they wouldn't make me travel alone especially if I have to stay with him. God I hope Not.

When you cancel with insurance, they reimburse both people in the cabin. I had to use it twice. Once prior to knee surgery and when my Mom died last year 6 days before the cruise. Sooo glad I hadn't left for the cruise already.

You have just taken a big load off of my mind. Already nervous and having to wait until Monday to ask that question was driving me crazy. Sorry to hear about your Mother. We lost my husbands Mother a yr ago. We were suppose to take a 2 week vacation and ended up using it while she was ill. So I know how you feel. We had hospice here at the house. She was in nursing home until I brought her home and I would do it again in a heartbeat before I would leave her in a Nursing home. It was difficult but alos makes you feel good to know you were there for them and the Hospice people were wonderful. I hope you will treasure her memories which will always keep her alive in your heart and in your familys when you can talk about all the fun things you did or the funny stories.

Knee surgery....that's a bummer. I had some torn cartilage removed and it can be painful. My physical therapist had me walk on the treadmill backwards. I know that sounds crazy and you have to do it slowly but it really strengthens the knees.

Hope you finally got to go on a cruise or will get to soon. Sounds like you are in my boat and really could do with a vacation. Have a great weekend and take care

Lynda

This is all good, helpful information-one question I have about insurance is: what about after starting the cruise, and ie: needing a medical evacuation, which I think might be reason in itself for having the insurance?(or not)... :confused: Thanks.

Not quite sure I understand. Won't the check be re issued for both of us so we can go together. Surely they wouldn't make me travel alone especially if I have to stay with him. God I hope Not.

Yes it will definately cover both of you. We had to use it after my brother was diagnosed with cancer 3 months before we were to sail. We all got our full money amount back (brother, wife and myself and hubby). We ended up going on a shorter cruise 6 months later after my brother ended treatment.

This is all good, helpful information-one question I have about insurance is: what about after starting the cruise, and ie: needing a medical evacuation, which I think might be reason in itself for having the insurance?(or not)... :confused: Thanks.

It definately covers medical while at Sea

I had insurance through my TA for a cruise that I was to take last April. I have a bad back and it started to act up in December. My doctor said "don't worry you will be fine". Well I was not and had to cancel the cruise. I had booked the cruise through my TA and the flights on my own. I thought I was going to lose the money for the flights because I had one year from the date that I puchased the original flight tickets and that would mean that I had about three months to use them:eek: I called my TA and she told me that she had included the flights in my insurance coverage:D I could have kissed her on the spot. The flights total cost was $1100.00. Anyway, she called the insurance company and they sent me the paperwork. The problem was getting both my doctors to fill out their part and fax it to the insurance company. See I was not paying the doctors so they took their time:rolleyes: Once everything was submitted it took a few weeks to get the money back, I got all but 34 cents:D I had insurance for my other cruise but didn't need it. As you can see by my ticker....I have rebooked for this April....and yes, I have insurance:p

Good Luck!

I thought I had Bell's Palsy too, but an MRI showed that I have a good size tumor instead. I'm having surgery on Thursday & I phoned my TA up as to whether I could get a refund on my cruise if I decided to cancel. She told me that I could cancel the day before the cruise & get a full refund since I had their insurance. That's a relief. My doctors, on the other hand, say that there's no reason why I can't go. I hope your husband feels better.

I thought I had Bell's Palsy too, but an MRI showed that I have a good size tumor instead. I'm having surgery on Thursday & I phoned my TA up as to whether I could get a refund on my cruise if I decided to cancel. She told me that I could cancel the day before the cruise & get a full refund since I had their insurance. That's a relief. My doctors, on the other hand, say that there's no reason why I can't go. I hope your husband feels better.

I am sorry to hear about your Tumor. I will pray for you. tell me what your name is and what time your surgery is and I will put in

My call to 1-800-God Help.

It's a free line and it's 24/7 I can reach him anytime. I always Thank Him for being there for me and then we talk about the need for the day. So if I have that time and your name he and I will have our conversation then.

Don had a CT scan today and it is Bells Palsy. This is the tird time in 30 years.

Do you have much paralysis? As you can see I am usually on these boards when everyone else is sleeping. Take care and I am thinking of you now not just thursday if you need someone to talk to let me know and I will give you my email address.

Lynda

Thanks

Lynda

I had this happen last December. Was getting ready to take a cruise on HAL's Veendam when the day before I had an allergic reaction to something. The effects of this was sever hives this size of dimes to dollar bills. I called the insurance company the morning of the cruise. They told me "make sure you call Carnival so you are not listed as a no show".

What they (insurance company) told me to do was get a diagnosis from the Doctor and mail it to them. The Doctor confirmed that it would not have been wise to travel. 4 or 5 weeks later I had a check for the full amount of the cruise.....:)

It cost me $79.00 for the insurance and I got back all $903.00 for the cruise.....:cool:

Archived