If you ask RC if there are LARGE groups on the ship...

EchoSix

Will they tell you?

Will they answer you honestly?

Would they have the ability to know, if they looked in their computers, when you call?

How does Royal Caribbean keep track of and list the MASSIVE groups of people, who are cruising together under a group name?

If they can't step forward and warn people who attempt to book passage on a ship, where a MASSIVE group name has blocked off a large portion of the ship (due to it being "labeled" as discrimination), then can they tell you if you ask them about it?

Because, unless you go crazy, Googling every affiliated group, name by name, how else would you know if your comfort on your cruise was in jeopardy?

And yes. These questions are directly based on what recently happened on The Jewel.

No EchoSix, they will not. It is a privacy issue, just as we would not want our sailing information passed onto anyone else sailing. Google is the only way for now to find out, in my opinion. Or...you could try booking a meeting room, etc., and have them tell you..."no all our meeting space is booked..."

They usually won't and often can't tell you. It doesn't appear in their computer system and even if it did, it would violate the privacy rights of those groups to tell you anything about them.

If you don't like the fact that there may be groups on your cruise, I suggest that you travel with a much smaller cruise company, like Oceania. Otherwise, I can guarantee that there will be groups on your next cruise. RCL needs to run the ships at a profit and groups offer a large amount of bookings at off peak periods.

They usually won't and often can't tell you. It doesn't appear in their computer system and even if it did, it would violate the privacy rights of those groups to tell you anything about them.

If you don't like the fact that there may be groups on your cruise, I suggest that you travel with a much smaller cruise company, like Oceania. Otherwise, I can guarantee that there will be groups on your next cruise. RCL needs to run the ships at a profit and groups offer a large amount of bookings at off peak periods.

If some of these groups list their cruises online how would it be a violation of privacy?

Any group I've ever seen on a cruise have had matching t-shirts..hats...sweatshirts...you name it. I guess they only want "privacy" until they get on the ship?

If some of these groups list their cruises online how would it be a violation of privacy?

I would think the difference would be the group advertising themselves vs the cruise line posting or giving out the information. There are always groups or individuals out there looking for a reason to sue a large company over discrimination or privacy rights.

Some groups list, but some groups DO NOT. - How would RCI desigate which ones to tell and which ones to NOT??

To answer the OP, I would talk to RCI Booking Agent and tell them I need the arrangements for "XXX Cruise" and will need the meeting rooms, Solarium for a day, etc. and then see if they say "Sorry, that's already booked".

That may or may not work, but the other solution is to GOOGLE "Group Cruises" and see if yours shows up.

Hope This Helps.

Wow. Thanks everyone.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I hope they help others as well.

There's a significant difference in assistence here, as opposed to the other thread that Sue L pointed out to me.

Thanks again.

If I would cruise with a group I would definitely NOT wanting RCCL to give out this information, it´s non of their business regardless if I´m advertising this group and making it well known through the www.

If they (RCCL) are not organizing this group thing they have to keep my cruise information privat and are not to give it out to anyone.

If I would cruise with a group I would definitely NOT wanting RCCL to give out this information, it´s non of their business regardless if I´m advertising this group and making it well known through the www.

If they (RCCL) are not organizing this group thing they have to keep my cruise information privat and are not to give it out to anyone.

For those that are concerned that venues will be closed to groups RCI could certainly inform potential pax that there will be large groups on board without saying who they are.:)

And of course it is RCIs "business" who cruises with them...others should have the right to know if large groups will be on board, regardless of who they are.

Pax are paying to enjoy the entire ship. If certain areas will be closed off to them in order to accomodate groups it is their business. They won't be getting what they paid for and should know ahead of time that certain venues may be unavailable.

For those that are concerned that venues will be closed to groups RCI could certainly inform potential pax that there will be large groups on board without saying who they are.:)

And of course it is RCIs "business" who cruises with them...others should have the right to know if large groups will be on board, regardless of who they are.

Pax are paying to enjoy the entire ship. If certain areas will be closed off to them in order to accomodate groups it is their business. They won't be getting what they paid for and should know ahead of time that certain venues may be unavailable.

I did not say it´s non of their business to know who cruises with them, I said it´s non of their business to tell others about me and my group I´m with. That´s an issue of my privacy. Sure they can tell everybody there will be a group onboard without telling what group.

I agree that would be OK, however I guess it would bring you nowhere, as there are groups on probably 98% -100% of all sailing.:rolleyes:

I think your suggestion is the best compromise - however, I think the issue for some cruisers may be the group itself rather than the numbers.

I did not say it´s non of their business to know who cruises with them, I said it´s non of their business to tell others about me and my group I´m with. That´s an issue of my privacy. Sure they can tell everybody there will be a group onboard without telling what group.

I agree that would be OK, however I guess it would bring you nowhere, as there are groups on probably 98% -100% of all sailing.:rolleyes:

I guess I must have missed most groups or they were small and didn't compromise much space or venues.:rolleyes:

If RCI tells a potential pax that there is a group of 500 on a sailing ,I wouldn't book it...I don't want to be on a ship with 500 of any group.:eek:

And usually large groups advertise their sailing dates...Google is the key and RCI needs to admit there is a large group on a particular date so a pax can search.

I do laugh about the "privacy" issue...no one can know that a certain group is sailing..but that group can then impact someones trip with their antics.

Amazing...

I think your suggestion is the best compromise - however, I think the issue for some cruisers may be the group itself rather than the numbers.

I agree...but at least knowing that certain areas may be off limits because of private parties may help a pax make a decision whether to cruise or not or will alert them that they should do a search to see if they can find which group may have booked that sailing.

I guess I must have missed most groups or they were small and didn't compromise much space or venues.:rolleyes:

If RCI tells a potential pax that there is a group of 500 on a sailing ,I wouldn't book it...I don't want to be on a ship with 500 of any group.:eek:

And usually large groups advertise their sailing dates...Google is the key and RCI needs to admit there is a large group on a particular date so a pax can search.

I do laugh about the "privacy" issue...no one can know that a certain group is sailing..but that group can then impact someones trip with their antics.

Amazing...

Well you can laugh about it all that you want, obviously RCCL and other cruise lines do not laugh about it and take those privacy issues you laugh about seriously.

And with this I´m out of here wishing everybody a good night or good rest of your day.

I do not understand why this would be a privacy issue the cruise line would give out no information other then the fact there is a large group booked and the name of the group.

Nor do I see it as an discrimination issue it isn't as if the cruise line is saying the group can not cruise. It would just be for other passengers to decide if the group would impact their cruise and making their own personal choice as to when they want to cruise.

Not for me. I just want full access to a boat I paid for passage on and don't want to feel like I am not included in events or activities. And I feel this way about ANY group - I have no real issues with any groups of their activities and members if they aren't all-inclusive of the others in the group. For example, if it is a rock group cruise and there will be concerts I didn't know about, I'd at least like the opportunity to join in and watch if I hadn't known about the band in advance. Same with some of the chef cruises or other specialty group cruises - I would like to know that even if I had to pay a premium for a ticket on board the group/event wouldn't be closed to me simply because I hadn't known about the group/event prior to cruising. And if it is a group that doesn't want outsiders then I'm sorry but my opinion is that they should charter a ship or go to a conference center/hotel on land where they do not have a direct impact on paying passengers that have no choice but to sail with them. Also it really depends on what people are looking for in a vaction - I want to just relax and have a good time, I'd be less then thrilled if I got on board and discovered things might hamper that. I have had it happen to me on my first cruise - there were 2 large groups and I felt like filler on the boat - and while I had a great time and still enjoyed myself, it was not what I felt I had paid for and I felt let down by not knowing. It just taught me to do my research before the next cruise - for most first timers they have no idea groups could affect a sailing and there should be some way to do so - this would likely help the cruise industry as well with happier passengers that would talk highly of cruise vacations.

This happens on land too - Vegas is not the same when the rodeo is in town - it is still a great town and lots of fun but it is not the same town as when no huge events are taking over. Now I check all future vacation venues, even for small weekend trips - sometimes I find events I didn't know about and change my plans to join in them, other times I find groups or events that don't interest me and look elsewhere. The problem is on a boat you are captive and getting off in port and changing your plans is a lot more complicated and expensive then on land!

Well you can laugh about it all that you want, obviously RCCL and other cruise lines do not laugh about it and take those privacy issues you laugh about seriously.

That's only because this country has gotten pathetically Politically Correct, to the point of sickness.

The threat of lawyers, is all that stops them from doing what's right.

The threat of some "insulted" softy, who feels they've been unjustly treated, and the possibility of them suing the ever living crap out of the corporations, is what it all comes down to.

Wow, is it political correctness or respect..

Dear Traveler,

In order to be a profitable company, we have allowed groups on your cruise. We have defined a group as 8 or more cabins. Groups have chosen a name, and from those names, we have characterized the type of people. They may or may not be to your liking. They may or may not be from the same religious background. They may or may not be a corporation, simply rewarding their employees. They may or may not be rowdy. They may or may not get drunk. Please see below all the groups traveling on your cruise. If YOUR NAME is there, it is because you are likely traveling with your family and friends of more than 8 cabins. If you do not want any information about yourself sent to all your fellow passengers, kindly ask people in your group to drop from the group, and book under 8 cabins. You will be receiving an email similar to this one, each and every time the sailing receives a new group. If, by viewing the names, you determine that you are judgmental about the group, please cancel at your earliest convenience...

Is this really what people expect? Large groups are never much fun, unless you are a part of it. Thankfully most of us are internet-savvy enough to find out information. However, to expect a corporation to violate groups' privacies, is more scary than any group I can imagine...

That's only because this country has gotten pathetically Politically Correct, to the point of sickness.

The threat of lawyers, is all that stops them from doing what's right.

and who is to judge what is 'right' ?? You?

Wow, is it political correctness or respect..

Dear Traveler,

In order to be a profitable company, we have allowed groups on your cruise. We have defined a group as 8 or more cabins. Groups have chosen a name, and from those names, we have characterized the type of people. They may or may not be to your liking. They may or may not be from the same religious background. They may or may not be a corporation, simply rewarding their employees. They may or may not be rowdy. They may or may not get drunk. Please see below all the groups traveling on your cruise. If YOUR NAME is there, it is because you are likely traveling with your family and friends of more than 8 cabins. If you do not want any information about yourself sent to all your fellow passengers, kindly ask people in your group to drop from the group, and book under 8 cabins. You will be receiving an email similar to this one, each and every time the sailing receives a new group. If, by viewing the names, you determine that you are judgmental about the group, please cancel at your earliest convenience...

Is this really what people expect? Large groups are never much fun, unless you are a part of it. Thankfully most of us are internet-savvy enough to find out information. However, to expect a corporation to violate groups' privacies, is more scary than any group I can imagine...

Love your letter, very funny....but oh so true!:D

and who is to judge what is 'right' ?? You?

What I mean by "doing what's right", is everyone working together, for the benefit of others and not giving in to the people who hide behind the sheild of an attorney and use them like a gun, when their feelings get hurt.

Look, I'm not the enemy here. I'm justconcerned about making sure my vacation, as well asn anyone else with the same concerns, isn't totally ruined like the recent Jewel of the Seas cruise.

It doesn't matter what group or association it is... Any large group CAN bedisruptive on a cruise ship.

We ALL should have the right to know if our cruise is threatened by ANY collection of unruly guests that have a history of being disruptive.

Archived