Can you swim from The Baths to Devil's Bay?

murphyis1

Yes, you can. People do it all the time. To try and get some scale in your photo, the sail boat directly under the word "the" in the Baths with the double masts I would guess is somewhere in the 50 foot range. Just a guess.

Watch out for sea conditions! The currents around that area can be very strong- and you could eaily find yourself tiring before you made it around that rocky area- and you could then be pushed into the rocks. We attempted to swim around a few years ago. If you get out far enough to avoid the "wave against rock" activity, you might find yourself in an area populated by boats- so now you have to watch for their anchor lines! My DD was fine (and probably would have had a successful and enjoyable swim), but I tired very quickly, so we turned around. There aren't lifeguards here, so you are on your own! (Which upset DD- who, in addition to being a former competitive swimmer & lifeguard, is a Red Cross lifeguarding instructor.) We did see a few people with very bad scrapes & cuts from being pushed into the rocks.

We had snorkels and fins- but the snorkel was useless with the spray breaking over us, and I usually do the breaststroke when I start tiring- which you can't do with fins! And forget about just stopping and resting- if the current is strong, you will need to be active just to stay in one spot.

On the good side- this could be a fantastic swim!

I agree. We just returned from doing the Baths on November 26 and the weather conditions were quite windy that day and the waves were crashing into the beaches on either side of the Baths. We swam from shore on Devil's Bay Beach to snorkel and it was quite tiring just getting back into shore after snorkeling a ways out into the cove. Also, there were signs posted to watch out for jelly fish - there had been recent sightings apparently - though we didn't see any during our stay.

I guess the answer depends on the conditions on the day you are there, and don't be disappointed if you aren't able to swim around and don't be foolish to try it in not so great conditions.

Archived