A bit of an introduction...

*Mach*

Tell you what. We'll try to make his sales expertise useful for once.

Now that your electoral process is starting with the Iowa caucus, perhaps Sir M could take a load of "How to run a democratic (with a small d) Election" books across the pond. I would imagine that he will spend quite some time in Florida.

However, before he goes, his bookseller's stall will be in London and Edinburgh selling his new bestseller, "Financing Political Parties, for Beginners".

David

Now I don't want to start a discussion of politics, but tonight I heard the nominees for spoken word Grammies. (I assume audio books)

They were:

Barack Obama

Maja Angelou

Jimmy Carter

Alan Alda

Bill Clinton

talk about strange bedfellows!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003681960

congratulations, mach. it seems this occurred while i was sailing. i wish you good luck and little aggravation, as it was apparent upon reading this thread that there are a few members here who cld not help but be rude to you.

best wishes, and pls continue to visit us less than intelligent, classless members who reside, for the most part, in that "other" forum.:p

Good day to all you wonderful Cunarders!

I'm Host Mach, the new co-host here, sharing the honor with Host Andy.

Dear Machthing

Hello, I'm happyscot. I'm from Scotland, and I'm Happy. This condition is derived in part from my love of the primary product of Scotland, and in part from the joy of communing with the fab folk here on CC.

I have recently been unable to commune, here at least, with said pals because of a distressing case of Avian flu. I have however through the wonders of technology been able to monitor events. It seems that you are: a) An effective moderator and b) A bloody nice bloke. This is obviously quite difficult information to assimilate, but I believe most here have succeeded. You are, sir, the talk of the steamie, a Scottish phrase that would take too long to explain, but is a compliment oft sought but rarely garnered.

During my illness, I was advised at length (very generous length indeed) by Dr Sterling, an esteemed medical authority in these parts, of the appropriate rehabilitation regime I must adopt. One will attempt to adhere to it.

However, Machthing, there is a problem which is not entirely disassociated with the previously-referred to primary product consumption, that leads me to believe that I am the funniest person on earth. Of course this is true (hic), but can lead to inter-continental issues of a humour non-appreciation nature, leading inexorably to my joining the band again.

May I, sire, propose that you tolerate the occasional irrelevance in the name of barley by-product fuelled exuberance, if I in turn promise not to go too far and attempt to contain my thoughts within, say, a country mile of the topic under discussion? And further, your wonderfulness (hic), may I request, beseech and implore that you proffer a yellow card (UK speak for warning) if you feel my contributions are, shall we say, of an irritational nature?

I remain, sir, your humble servant.

Lord Happyscot of that ilk.

Hello, I'm happyscot. I'm from Scotland, and I'm Happy.

Host Mach,

if you're out there, this is just a quick comment on the subject of Happyscot. He is the board mascot and and jester-in-residence, and, as such, should not be taken too seriously. Nomdeplume and I are his cyber-step-parents and we do our best to keep him in order with the occasional SLAP!!

He is mostly harmless but, on occasions, can lapse into near incomprehensibility. Should you require any translations of his contributions please feel free to contact me off list. You can reach me via my website the url for which is in my signature.

Jimmy

Host Mach,

if you're out there, this is just a quick comment on the subject of Happyscot. He is the board mascot and and jester-in-residence, and, as such, should not be taken too seriously. Nomdeplume and I are his cyber-step-parents and we do our best to keep him in order with the occasional SLAP!!

He is mostly harmless but, on occasions, can lapse into near incomprehensibility. Should you require any translations of his contributions please feel free to contact me off list. You can reach me via my website the url for which is in my signature.

Jimmy

I agree. Quite.

hic, Sir Martin

Dear Machthing

Hello, I'm happyscot. I'm from Scotland, and I'm Happy. This condition is derived in part from my love of the primary product of Scotland, and in part from the joy of communing with the fab folk here on CC.

I have recently been unable to commune, here at least, with said pals because of a distressing case of Avian flu. I have however through the wonders of technology been able to monitor events. It seems that you are: a) An effective moderator and b) A bloody nice bloke. This is obviously quite difficult information to assimilate, but I believe most here have succeeded. You are, sir, the talk of the steamie, a Scottish phrase that would take too long to explain, but is a compliment oft sought but rarely garnered.

During my illness, I was advised at length (very generous length indeed) by Dr Sterling, an esteemed medical authority in these parts, of the appropriate rehabilitation regime I must adopt. One will attempt to adhere to it.

However, Machthing, there is a problem which is not entirely disassociated with the previously-referred to primary product consumption, that leads me to believe that I am the funniest person on earth. Of course this is true (hic), but can lead to inter-continental issues of a humour non-appreciation nature, leading inexorably to my joining the band again.

May I, sire, propose that you tolerate the occasional irrelevance in the name of barley by-product fuelled exuberance, if I in turn promise not to go too far and attempt to contain my thoughts within, say, a country mile of the topic under discussion? And further, your wonderfulness (hic), may I request, beseech and implore that you proffer a yellow card (UK speak for warning) if you feel my contributions are, shall we say, of an irritational nature?

Does this represent part of your required community service?

Dear Machthing

Happyscot,

I can understand your situation completely. I am a very tolerant person with an appreciation of humour in numerous forms. I am quite accomplished at drifting a thread myself and am not adverse to providing the occasional nudge back in the proper direction if necessary.

I'm happy to see you on the board and I'm looking forward to reading your meanderings. Be assured that I'll provide a heads up (US speak for warning..) should the need arise.

I'm glad to see that the Avians didn't take you down for the count. Please feel free to do what it is that you do and we'll sort out the rest by and by.

Mach

Host Mach,

Jimmy

Thank you, Jimmy. I'll leave keeping Happyscot in line to you two and stand back to await the fun.

I'll be sure to contact you for interpretation when things go beyond my ability to ken.

Happyscot,

I can understand your situation completely. I am a very tolerant person with an appreciation of humour in numerous forms. I am quite accomplished at drifting a thread myself and am not adverse to providing the occasional nudge back in the proper direction if necessary.

I'm happy to see you on the board and I'm looking forward to reading your meanderings. Be assured that I'll provide a heads up (US speak for warning..) should the need arise.

I'm glad to see that the Avians didn't take you down for the count. Please feel free to do what it is that you do and we'll sort out the rest by and by.

Mach

There was a young mod called Mach

Equipped with incredible tact

No one's this nice

He'll be gone in a trice

Is he more myth than fact?

Man hug.

Oh, GReg

You don't know what you're in for!

I'll just warn you that Happyscot is a prolific poet, even Haikus and limericks are in his folio!

You have been warned, sir!

<G>

Welcome back HS, Hope your "convalescence" was not too difficult to endure. You didn't miss anything! (HA!)

Karie

Thank you, Jimmy. I'll leave keeping Happyscot in line to you two and stand back to await the fun.

I'll be sure to contact you for interpretation when things go beyond my ability to ken.

HM, if I were Happyscot I'd hug the stuffing out of you. Your continued kindness, tolerance, and, dare I say it?!, humour in the face of lunacy, has warmed my heart to the point of, um, warm-heartedness.

IOW, we like you very much and are glad you're here.

Hic.

HM, if I were Happyscot I'd hug the stuffing out of you. Your continued kindness, tolerance, and, dare I say it?!, humour in the face of lunacy, has warmed my heart to the point of, um, warm-heartedness.

IOW, we like you very much and are glad you're here.

Hic.

You wonderful folks honour me greatly.

I am humbled and thrilled that I am at least tolerated here.

I've come to understand the sense of what makes up this board. If you'll continue to have me I'll stick around as long as the folks at Cruise Critic will allow.

Thanks.

I've come to understand the sense of what makes up this board. If you'll continue to have me I'll stick around as long as the folks at Cruise Critic will allow.

Thanks.

Cunard tickets on the way!

Taking up a collection here folks: give 'till it hurts...

Hic

Something is wrong with the "quote" button.

I was, of course, quoting M L, but it makes it look like Host Mach made the post.

I'm sure all of you know "who said what"!!!! but it is a little confusing.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Beth

The quote button is fine, Beth. Somewhere up the line Happyscot was quoting, edited the quote, and cut off a bit of the code. So that's why all of our messages that quoted from there are a bet screwy.

But HS is better and well enough to post again. It's a wonderful thing. ;)

The quote button is fine, Beth. Somewhere up the line Happyscot was quoting, edited the quote, and cut off a bit of the code. So that's why all of our messages that quoted from there are a bet screwy.

But HS is better and well enough to post again. It's a wonderful thing. ;)

That's right--blame the kid. Again. :(

Something is wrong with the "quote" button.

I was, of course, quoting M L, but it makes it look like Host Mach made the post.

I'm sure all of you know "who said what"!!!! but it is a little confusing.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Beth

I knew what was what and if I can follow it I'm sure the rest of the folks are up to speed!

Thanks.

Hey! Tolerance is our middle name!

(I'm in M-L!)

(or was that temperance... NAH!)

KP

Hello HS. Nice to have you back (did that sound sufficiently sincere?).

Unfortunately, I missed your somewhat benign re-entry following your convalescence.

I was forced by She Who Must Be Obeyed to visit the purveyors of allthings and, as such, was in the state of "offty Embra". A rather unfortunate by-product of this condition was my failure to withess said Embra's demolition of Leinster by 26 pts to 10 in the Heineken Cup.

Apparently my missing this event is down to some failure on my part and has nothing to do with blind obedience of her wishes!:(

David

Apparently my missing this event is down to some failure on my part and has nothing to do with blind obedience of her wishes!:(

David

It seems to have taken you rather a long time to realise how these things work if you are surprised by this.:) :) Jane

Archived