NZ Bride killed while snorkeling

mipps

Poor lass was run over by a boat :(

A young New Zealand couple's honeymoon in Fiji turned to tragedy when the new bride was killed in a boating accident.

The couple had arrived on the idyllic Matamanoa Island Resort just a day before the tragedy.

They were out snorkelling when the 26-year-old woman was hit in the head by a boat propeller.

She was rushed to the hotel and airlifted off the island, but died of her injuries.

The couple, who have not been named, had married a week earlier.

The woman and her 29-year-old husband landed on the island last Thursday.

The resort - nestled among the Mamanuca Islands 30km west of Nadi - is a popular honeymoon location.

The resort boasts beachfront rooms from about $400 a night for two, with honeymoon specials up to $650 a night.

The couple were snorkelling on Friday morning when the woman was hit by a boat operated by a 27-year-old casual hotel worker.

The 6m aluminium boat, powered by a 20-horsepower engine, took the couple back to the hotel, from where they were airlifted to Lautoka Hospital. The woman was pronounced dead on arrival. An autopsy concluded she died from head injuries.

Arrangements are under way to bring her body back to New Zealand.A Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokeswoman said last night that the New Zealand High Commission in Suva was providing support to the couple's families, who had travelled to Fiji after the tragedy.

Matamanoa Island is an unspoilt haven clad with dense bush and palm trees.

It has white, sandy beaches and pristine coral reefs, ideal for diving and snorkelling.

story from

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10480144

:(

Terrible...

That's *one* story that I'll not be sharing with my wife before her first snorkelling excursion...

Same with my wife. I cant tell/show her anything about ship wreaks and plane crashes .... now I can add snorkeling to the list

Archived