Give me your best and worst - Voyager

I have a review in my sig for our 2002 cruise on Voyager, but since some of it is going to be outdated, I'll just excerpt some of the bits that answer your question. Note that the review includes a bunch more stuff as well as pictures. And, as Explorer is Voyager's sister ship, that review may also be helpful and it is more recent.

• Crowds - We had a full house (3698 with a reported 1200-1300 being kids). Honest to goodness, I never felt like there were that many. At no time. There were, of course, lines for the usual suspects...formal portraits, meeting the captain...but it didn't feel like they were that much bigger than similar events on other ships. The biggest crowds I saw were for the parades (not unexpectedly) and at the sports bar on Final Four night (mind you, they could have watched the same game from their cabins, but I guess it was the herd mentality at work). And as for the kids..there was an occasional rash of all the elevator buttons being pushed, but they all seemed very well behaved (Unlike on Princess, apparently. One of my daughter's cruise buddies was IMing with one of her friends on a Princess ship and was being told that all the teens over there were getting wasted.)

• Dining Room - I have very mixed feelings about our dining room experience. because of (I am guessing) the high occupancy of this trip, the little side dining rooms were brought into play and we were assigned seating in the Seville. There were a grand total of maybe 10-12 tables in here, a quarter of which never seemed to have their occupants turn up. My feelings see-sawed between deep regret and appreciation for this for the entire trip. One felt incredibly segregated from the rest of the world in these rooms. My two guys actually had tuxes and we felt left out from the finery in the main dining rooms. On the other hand, the main dining room always seemed busier and noisier and it was always much calmer feeling in the Seville and our waiter (Brent) and assistant waiter (Cecil) were wonderful. I also made friends with another table's assistant waiter which probably wouldn't have happened in the main dining room
  • Breakfast - actually preferred breakfast in Windjammer/Island Grill (if Island Grill is open, go back there...same food, shorter lines. If it's not open, go on the left side in the Windjammer...same reasons) to the dining room (the one morning I was up to try it). There was a good variety and I love to just have a little of whatever strikes my fancy.

• ship movement - let's not kid ourselves. This is a ship and you do feel movement. However, you don't feel a lot, mostly you notice it if you are sitting still watching a show or something. Also felt it a little more on the final sea day when we were heading back to Miami. Note that we had perfect weather this entire time.

• There is good handicapped access. Two large wheel chairs can fit with room to spare in the centrum elevators. The corridors are plenty wide enough and all the bathrooms have good-sized stalls.

• Speaking of which, the bathrooms on deck 4 across from LaScala are singles. This caused much confusion several times.

I love the Royal Promonade on the Voyager. I sit in the cafe drinking coffee (or anything stronger) and just watch the people.

Don't even feel like you are on a ship more like a street Europe

Never been to Europe but at least I can pretend to be there while drinking my coffee. I'll be sure and drink a cup for you while I'm on the cruise.

hey cruise lover, I will be on this sailing as well.

I know - can't wait to me you and nomoreknothead at M&M. I am finished with our name badges. Unless someone asks Happy2Fly to add their name to her list. Hope everyone who registered shows up.

Archived