Must watch video!

bdruzin

In all cases, on board a ship or on shore, the victim of a rape must confront a number of different factors. First, the individual may be warned not to report the incident for fear that person and/or their families may be physically hurt. Of course, there is the concern about being embarrassed as should they in fact come forward and report such an incident, they may have to testify and be seen not only in court but also before millions after being seen, and their story being told in the newspapers, on television,etc. In fact, many defense attorneys and the accused as well may hope that the victim will not testify and give incriminating information for this reason.

Most of all, it is up to the parents to warn their young people about being with someone they do not know. If they had met this person previously, perhaps they should introduce this individual to the parents

in advance, and inform them where he/she plans to go. In the light of so many rape incidents, and speaking as a father myself, he/she should not meet this individual alone or such meetings have to stop completely. Finally, any potential victim should be taught by their parents to report an unfortunate incident as soon as possible, although we cannot ignore the fact that the victim may feel for the lives of his/her family, or the anger they may exhibit. Perhaps the answer may be for the victim to report the incident first to a third party being assured of complete confidentiality until the incident is reported further.

I also look to the cruise line company to follow on any such indicent which is reported, as this is their responsibility when they offer cruises where rapes, etc. could be done by crew members, or other passengers as well., to individuals of any age.

Finally, it is up to the law enforcement agencies and the courts, to handle these situations so as to cause a minimum of embarrassment to the victim(s) and their families. I have read about incidents such as these being handled in a very sensitive manner by certain agencies, including the police, and courts, and this shold be policy wherever such incidents occur.

Perehaps this was discussed earlier, but there are many of us who may not have been there to participate (I remember I was on a cruise until November 3) or had not yet become a member of CC.

Archived