Would you take a 11:40 flight out of SAN

flagger

We are looking at booking our flights to and from SAN for our Hawaii cruise next year. There is an 11:40AM which gets us to our home airport at 6:50. Would you take that?

The next options are 1:35 with and 8:40pm arrival and then 10:35 which is a red eye getting us in at 5:30AM the next day.

Would you chance a 11:40 flight from SAN?

The San Diego Airport is very close to the port. They are pretty much right on top of each other. What time are you scheduled to be back to San Diego? If it is early morning like Caribbean cruises then I don't see why it would be a problem to get an 11:40 am flight. The San Diego airport is not huge. What day of the week do you return to San Diego? In my experience, the early morning flights (6:30 AM to head east) can be busy and that is the only time I have experienced a long line getting through security. Hope this helps.

Normally I would say yes, but how many ships are going to be in port with you? If you are the only ship, then you shouldn't have a problem, but if there are 2 or more the San Diego pier can become a mess and can really cause delays and I would recommend a later flight.

San Diego only shows one ship in port on Sunday 26 October 2008. Our arrival is shown to be 0700. There was a cruise to Hawaii this year that had to turn back due to a medical emergency http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2232 but it looks like it did not arrive until after 1400 so EVERYONE on flights before that missed them.

Thanks for your input. I also have to remember that any flight I book now will change its flight time and equipment type at least three times before our cruise.

In 2006, we made it to the airport and our gate in FLL before 9AM and it is only 10 minutes from the port, so I think we will go for the earlier flight.

The airport is really close and relitivally small, however, like a few have said you could easilly get in trouble if the ship is late or debarkation is delayed for some odd reason.

Personally I would go for the 2nd flight out (130 was it?), but again thats just me, I'm one to error on the side of caution.

Archived