Question: WindSpirit St. Thomas debarkation

dave22

We are on the 8 Dec WindSpirt cruise that returns to St. Thomas on 15 Dec at 6:30 AM. I understand that we need to debark the ship very early. Our flight back to the States is not until late afternoon. Question: is there somewhere to leave luggage and any suggestions for activities for non-shoppers early morning, early-mid afternoon in St. Thomas?

I'm interested in the same information for the January 5 cruise. Windstar's list of excursions suggest that the excursion for that day is the best option because there is no place to store luggage at the port or at the airport. For $89 per person it seems way excessive since they show you a couple of sites and then drop you off for lunch and shopping on your own, then take you to the airport. Would like to find an alternative. Kathy

After this cruise a couple of years ago, about 6 of us hoped in a taxi-minivan and asked the driver for his price for a full 'tour' around the island for the morning. The price was MUCH less than $89 per person and we had a nice time... with our luggage in the back.

Might be a good option. The driver will be more than happy to spend a couple hours getting paid.

I agree with inaflash! There are taxi drivers all over the place trying to get you to take their tour. Just hook up with one of them, MAKE A DEAL for exactly what you want to do. They often want to take a large group for a 2 hr tour, so you may want to see if you can't do something better They will normally give you a good tour of the island and take your luggage too. You might even get them to take you to the airport, but I'm not sure about that. Make sure you go to Magen's Bay. It is gorgeous!

You can take a taxi Magen's Bay and spend time but I don't know what you would do with your luggage. Also there is a public beach next to the Marriott Morningstar, (that poses the same luggage problem!)which is nice but not like Magen's Bay. It is much closer to both of the cruise ship terminals and the airport than Magen's Bay.

I'll try to answer any other questions if possible!

We took this cruise two years in a row in Jan. 2003 & 2004, and both times Windstar had reserved a room at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort where our luggage was stored until time for our flights. Not sure if this is offered any longer, and I can't remember if it required us to have purchased our air transportation/transfers through Windstar (which we did) or if everyone was entitled to this service or not... But we were taken there in vans after debarkation, left our luggage in a room, and told what time to be back to be taken over to the airport, which is essentially just across the street. There were taxis available from the hotel and we were able to go downtown, or to the beaches, etc., or we could simply use the beach and facilities of the Best Western until time to go to the airport. It was very well organized and convenient. You might check to see if this is still available. Otherwise, the suggestion inaflash and whatnot made is a good one. We have also been to STT/STJ for land vacations and just asked the taxi driver to hold our luggage until time to pick us up and take us to the airport. And if you don't feel comfortable doing that, there is a service that will lock your luggage into a room for a small fee in the building where the Fast Ferry leaves, which is on the water side about the middle of town. I'm not sure that's any safer than allowing the taxi driver to keep it, but its an alternative.

Either way, don't sweat it... You're going to have a great time, and hopefully you'll be able to drag out your last remaining hours on the island as long as possible. Have fun!!

After a wonderful week on board, I like to stay very mellow on the last day before the hassle of the flight begins. Touring is not my idea of a good time, therefore. We stayed on board until 10ish I believe, and just took a short taxi ride to Emerald Beach. It is fine for the day and you are practically at the airport. You do not need to buy a package from Windstar to go to the hotel as a day guest.

Better however is to go to the beach at the Marriott Morningstar. Tip the staff well for the service(in advance) and leave your luggage at the front desk. The beach and services are certainly better.

The airport process in STT is long and unpleasant, and a jarring welcome to reality again, so leave enough time.

Archived