Casa De Campo-snorkeling excursion

jackdiamond

We will be in Casa De Campo on April 10, 2008; and, I have noticed a snorkeling excursion on a 82 ft. catamaran offered by Celebrity Millennium. I would be most appreciative of the comments of anyone who has sailed on this excursion.

Thank you-Jack Diamond

we will be there on the Millie in jan. and we were looking at the sunspree day pass for 50.00 pp that includes, lunch, drinks and supposed to have good snorkeling from their beach.. we might be interested in the cat. snorkeling but some in our party are not snosrkelers:( but if i find out anything about it on our jan. 6 cruise I will report back here

I too would love some feedback on this. I asked back in October and my post is still 2 pages back with no responses. I wonder what the reef would be like. The island of Hispanola has been struck by hurricanes over the last few years which tend to be pretty destructive to some of the reefs. We have done the Bayahibi Beach Break which was fine, but on the Millie we will have another beach day at Labadee so I would definitely be interested in another option.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Casa De Campo on April 10, 2008; and, I have noticed a snorkeling excursion on a 82 ft. catamaran offered by Celebrity Millennium. I would be most appreciative of the comments of anyone who has sailed on this excursion.

Thank you-Jack Diamond

Also Interested in this info for early Feb/08 :)

• 1 month later...

We couldn't find much on this for our sailing on 1/27/08, so am posting about our experience.

We were a bit disappointed that our catamaran did not have the netting up front but rather a full flat deck. Apparently they run two cats, one with and one without. There are several seating areas, but some people end up on a flat, hard deck. They took us to within easy swimming distance of Catlina Island. Snorkeling there was fine, not outstanding, but there was a variety of fish. You need to stay in deep water over the reef, right near the boat to see the fish, but you can also make a trip to the rather plain beach. They make *everyone* wear the orange lifejackets like the cruise ship has. There was a shortage of fins for people with large feet on our trip, but they're sister ship was nearby and sent a small boat over with the extras they had.

Crew were great hosts - the all-male crew were great, including the best tour host Harold (who met us near the ship at the bus) I have ever had on an excursion. He was always smiling and spoke excellent unaccented English. They served all the rum Cokes, rum punch or non-alcoholic stuff you wanted on the way back. No food. There was some dancing, some no-pressure selling of Dominican do-rags. A good time.

Oh, and if you are Red Sox fans, be sure to wear your t-shirt or cap. These guys are definitely part of Red Sox Nation. Yankee fans were tolerated after a short "joke" that they would have to get off the boat.

We did this excursion through Celebrity a little over a year ago. We had a new catamaran with the nets. The boat and crew were wonderful. We had a long line to get off the boat and the bus to the cat left without a lot of people. Many of us walked from bus to bus looking for ours, not knowing it had left. Another bus then took more than 20 of us. This port seemed very disorganized in directing people to their bus. The reef was not colorful. The fish were so-so. It was probably less than you would see most places. After the snorkeling we cruised through the marina at Casa de Campo to see how the other half live. It was amazing! The sailing made up for the disappointing snorkeling, and I love snorkeling.

We enjoyed our day and would do this again given the limited choices in La Romana. I really would suggest getting off the ship and trying this or something else.

Archived