Freedom overcrowded at Christmas?

38anchor

Me and my boyfriend are taking our first ever cruise on Freedom of the Seas this Christmas (dep. Dec 23). :D :D

Whilst I am soooooo excited and can't wait, my boyfriend seems to think that the ship will be soo full of people (and kids) that it will be a nightmare. :(

Whilst I want to try as much as the ship has to offer (eating in Chops, Portofino's J.Rockets etc) and trying out the pitch n put, climbing wall, ice skating etc, he thinks that is will be so chocka with people that we will be lucky to get in at the alternative dining places, or even get onto any of the activities. :eek:

Already planning to book Chops/Portofinos the minute we get on board, but again, as its limited and we don't want to go formal nights/Christmas day or Christmas Eve, just wondering if it may already be booked up with Suite guests pre booking via the concierge.........

Now I know Christmas week is probably the fullest the ship will ever be (even though there are a few cabins still available), but will it really be that bad.

I'm starting to think he may be right, and it will just be a nightmare.

What do you guys think?

and was on a christmas cruise on mariner 2 years ago. YES the ship is FULL of people (3300+ on mariner) and tons of kids - it is holiday season after all. Having said that, on the Mariner, my ex-wife and I ate at chops twice and portofinos once with NO trouble at all. we did book 2 of those the minute we could once we boarded but the third night was a last minute thing. There are also cancellations all the time as people change their minds during the course of the cruise (last Xmas cruise was 10 days so the novelty wore off!!)

it is a huge ship and (I am going to get flamed here but..) it seemed to me most people were turned off by having to pay extra $$ for the experience of chops/portofinos etc. the food was awesome at both places and the service was great too.

I was more than happy to pay the $$ for a better meal than the dining room could possibly offer.

peace and happy cruising - i will be racing you to the reservations desk on the 23rd!!!

We were on the Liberty over Thanksgiving and it was full to capacity and a lot of kids BUT it really never felt overrun or crowded anywhere except the promenade during a parade or event. These class ships have so much to entertain everyone, especially kids: the H2O zone, the flowrider, etc that I didn't feel I noticed them as much as I did on Navigator in the summer. Also security was enforcing the curfew and curtailing the elevator riding all night long but I wouldn't worry too much! :)

Archived