Upcoming Mariner And Sovereign Cruises

Host Mike

I am watching CNN at the moment and it looks like (knock wood) Hurricane Ivan is going to miss Southern Florida and hit the Panama City area (changes possible at any moment) where I used to live..

As for cruising in hurricane season this season is just an odd one.. most of the time the odds are more than with you. How often do ports close?? Rarely..

OK, so I live in Panama City Beach... and Ivan seems to be headed right for me! Do I head out tomorrow for my Orlando hotel (and on to Port Canaveral on Monday morning to be bussed to Port Everglades) when this sucker is headed to my house? The anxiety is really getting to me...

My cruise insurance package from CSA says that coverage includes when your home is damaged from adverse weather... but what about IMMINENT adverse weather and the associated prep?

I've got my kitties to worry about... :confused: I have someone coming to make sure they are all OK while we are gone, but don't know if we should board up the windows before we go...???

We're in NE Florida, and it's already a mess here. DH got the few panels back up tonight that we took down earlier this week to lessen the 'cave ambience.'

This season, so far, we have had glancing blows from TS Bonnie and Hurricane Charley, then took a hit from the NE quadrant of Hurricane Frances: 50-60 mph wind, a downburst/tornado through our neighborhood, 3 oak trees and tons of branches down, capped off with 5 days without power or water.

We are READY for Monday's Sovereign cruise! Yesterday, the web site said Port Canaveral, but today it says Port Everglades. I don't care - I'll jump in the water and swim offshore to get on the ship if I have to.

The ship will have water, electricity, real meals, booze, family, old friends, and the new friends we will meet during the trip.

Why stay home? The house may be flat when we get back, but the Sovereign is my idea of a great evacuation!

Be safe everyone!!

Wendy

OK, so I live in Panama City Beach... and Ivan seems to be headed right for me! Do I head out tomorrow for my Orlando hotel (and on to Port Canaveral on Monday morning to be bussed to Port Everglades) when this sucker is headed to my house? The anxiety is really getting to me...

My cruise insurance package from CSA says that coverage includes when your home is damaged from adverse weather... but what about IMMINENT adverse weather and the associated prep?

I've got my kitties to worry about... :confused: I have someone coming to make sure they are all OK while we are gone, but don't know if we should board up the windows before we go...???

Yes - Do BOARD UP!

We were very wishy-washy about boarding up for Frances. Grew up in FL. Mom was born in coastal FL in 1913. No one in our family has ever boarded in 91 years.

Finally, we decided to break with tradition. I boarded my house, and my brother boarded his as well. I can't tell you how glad we both were... it was such a relief knowing we had done what we could as we watched the coverage from our evacuation haven in Tampa.

We are both leaving the plywood up until we know - with an absolute centainty - what Ivan is going to do. (Until he is inland and has become a tropical depression)

Port Canaveral Update

PORT CANAVERAL— 3:00 p.m., September 12, 2004 – Port Canaveral continues to move toward full operational status with both cruise and cargo vessels this weekend returning to the harbor, which was shut down after Hurricane Frances because of navigational safety concerns.

Four large cruise ships, two gaming vessels, and several cargo ships utilized Canaveral this weekend. By tomorrow, a dredge under contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be in place to begin work on restoring the channel.

"I commend our staff for the resolve and diligence it took to get Port Canaveral up and running quickly and safely after an unprecedented shutdown stemming from the effects of a storm," says Joe Matheny, Chairman of the Canaveral Port Authority Commission. "Because of strong leadership, dedication, and coordination, Central Florida’s economic engine is back on course."

Today, the Disney Wonder and the Carnival Fantasy returned to its homeport at Canaveral. Yesterday, the Disney Magic and Carnival Glory returned. Royal Caribbean International’s Mariner of the Seas will return as dredging progresses. High winds expected tomorrow will prevent Royal Caribbean’s Sovereign of the Seas from its scheduled return to Canaveral.

Cargo operations continue to progress with off-loading today of lumber, cement, and salt.

"Returning to normal operations would not have been possible without the tireless efforts of the U.S. Coast Guard, under the leadership of Capt. David Lersch, and especially Lt. Pat Eiland; the Canaveral Pilots Association, especially Capt. Dave Callan; and the cooperation of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers," says Stan Payne, Chief Executive Officer of the Canaveral Port Authority.

Does anyone have the latest on the port dredging situation? We sail on Mariner on Sunday, and RCI has stated that they are waiting to see what happens with the port this week. We've heard that dredging has begun, and then we've heard that it hasn't, can anyone accruately confirm either?

If anyone has info on the port situation, could you please keep us posted??

Thanks

Experienced cruisers please help me out with this question. With this new TS that is expected to turn into a hurricane and reach the Bahamas. What will they do with our cruise on SOS Sept 20th, will they send us to another area or will we be stuck at sea?

Myke729,

They will probably do the same thing they have been doing with their ships.

Go back and read the other reports. They cannot yet go to Coco Cay, so that may mean an extra day at sea, or they may change ports - it is up to them. Also, IF Jeanne comes up and hits the Bahamas again, Nassau may be affected. You just have to keep reading the weather report and the RCCL reports, and try to keep an open mind.

I just got a call today from Ron Jon's Cape Caribe Resort in Cape Canaveral. They have cancelled my reservation for Sept 26 when we were going to spend the night there prior to boarding the Sovereign on the 27th. Now I need to find another hotel and they are scarce with several Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral hotels already closed. Now with Jeanne coming, there may be more casualties of this hurricane season. We all just have to roll with the punches (or maybe roll with the tides) and thank goodness for TRAVEL INSURANCE !!

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Sovereign Sept 20th!!. This is our first cruise and I found out after booking during the worst hurricane season in resent memory it wasn't the smartest ithing I've ever done!! After hearing the stop at Coco Cay have been canceled and now another hurricane is due to hit the Bahamas just as we sail I have decided to throw in the towel. I'm a little bit surprised as to just how very little information the cruise line is willing to share when I call. When I ask about the itinery change I get little info except its is up to the captains discretion. I'm assuming because of the Coco Cay washout and the arrival of a new hurricane/tropical storm which would make crusing to the Bahamas at the very least nothing I would concider fun a legitmate reason to cancel. I'm not sure if this will be covered under the insurance I purchased or not. I think I'll reschedule AFTER the Hurricane season for now on....

toolongnocruise did they give you a reason for cancelling your reservation? We are sailing on the 20th on the SOS. We have reservations on the 19th at the Raddison. I hope they don't cancel us. I just am keeping my fingers crossed that we get on the boat. Then I don't care if we go out and sail in circles.

burnsie

Ron Jon cancelled due to damage. One of the Holiday Inns closed also and one other one that I know of but I forgot which one -- you can go back and read some of the postings and probably find it. They were the ones right along the beach. Radisson however is on A1A right after you come off the Beeline (528). It is open and they did not indicate any problems. Hope that helps.

From Florida Today Thurs, Sept 16.

(Fla Today is newspaper for local area including Port Canaveral)

"Royal Caribbean's cruise ships, the Sovereign of the Seas and the Mariner of the Seas, will return to Port Canaveral on Friday and Sunday, respectively, a port executive said Wednesday."

Yeah, but they still aren't being clear on what's happening with SOS on Monday. Jeanne is supposed to be headed right through that area about that time. I'd really like to know if I even need to bother driving to Canaveral on Monday.

Does anyone know if the Mariner docked in Ocho Rios this week? I know they skipped GC. I have seen conflicting info on this and when I call RCCl I get a different answer every time. One person said they skipped only GC for an xtra sea day-I called again and different person said they skipped both GC AND Jamaica and did xtra sea day and Costa Maya. I am going in two weeks and just want to get an idea of where I might be going.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived