Upcoming Mariner And Sovereign Cruises

Host Mike

i know i shouldn't worry about anything until after ivan passes, but we're sailing on the mariner Oct 3. If this storm were to put the port in Miami out of comission, where do you think the mariner would be moved to? Could she sail out of Ft Lauderdale, or Jacksonville, or is she to large? I'm freaking out because we have nonrefundable hotel rooms, theme park tickets, and flights, so if the ship is redirected to another state, i'm in big trouble.

The 9/10 3 pm advisory has the 9/13 sailing of Sovereign back at Port Canaveral! Good thing I didn't make plans to drive to Port Everglades. And, with Ivan on it's way, Port Canaveral looks like a better bet than Fort. Lauderdale for Monday. Looks like I might actually get a vacation after all.

Yay!

the ship is leaving at 8.00pm not 5.00pm,the buses are'nt leaving till 12.30pm it will take them approx 4.5 hours to get to maimi,you do the math ,and you will come to the conclusion that the ship can not sail at 5.00pm

Hi all! I was just on the Mariner sailing for 8/29 - 9/5! We got an unexpected 9 day cruise out of our 7 day cruise! For all of you wanting to go ahead and change your plans, don't! Keep your original plans and utilize the buses that they are providing. The reason I say this is because while we were on the ship, the plans changed at least 3 times due to the Hurricane. On Wed nite at the Crown and Anchor party, Captain Olsen told us that he was keeping in close contact and that we would most likely not be able to dock in Port Canaveral until Sunday night. He said he would have definitive word by Thursday evening. Then, the storm changed and by Friday night, they were telling us we probably would not dock until Monday morning. They set up complimentary phone stations and free internet service all day from Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. People were changing their flights, etc. Saturday night, we were told that we were going to stay down by Key West on Sunday so we could have cell phone service. But, Sunday am when we got to Key West, storms were brewing and it was pouring down rain, so, we turned around and sailed back the way we had come to have better weather all day. Sunday afternoon, we were told we would slowly sail up to Miami and hang out and wait in line for our turn to dock in Miami. About Midnight Sunday, I looked at the tracking channel and we were already past Miami heading to Port Canaveral. The seas had settled down somewhat. Monday morning, we are waiting in the ocean near Port Canaveral. At 2:00, the Captain says they finished inspecting the Port and had to close it, so we now had to head back to Miami!!! It would be about midnight when we docked and we would be able to begin debarkation at 6 am! When we finally got into port and stopped at the dock it was about 1:30 am.

Now, for those of you that don't want to "suffer" through a 4 hour bus ride -- it was painless!! I, for one, was glad to have it as I was so tired from lack of sleep -- It was nice to be able to sit back and let someone else drive! The busses were comfortable. The bus we were on left Miami at 9:05 and arrived at Port Canaveral at 1:15. We stopped once half-way for a restroom/food break. (I don't know about the ones that went to Orlando airport, but it shouldn't have been much different) The one thing that I would have liked to have known in advance, but wasn't told, was that there were numerous busses leaving at different times, so I didn't have to worry about hurrying to get off and get my luggage. (I thought that if I didn't get off when my color was called, I would miss the transportation -- Not so!) Also, if you are not planning on parking your car at the Port, but instead, using a hotel shuttle service, I would suggest the Radisson. We had been trying to contact them for hours but the phone service was out. We had no clue when we arrived at the Port how we were going to get to our car. The RCI reps weren't much help either. Just as one lady was going to go into the office to try to find out, a shuttle pulled up from the Radisson. Our driver told us they had been in constant contact with the cruise line and knew approximately when the first busses were due to arrive, and therefore, were there to pick us up! NOW, that is service!!!!

I apologize for the lengthiness of this diatribe, but I wanted to make sure you all knew why I feel you should keep your plans in place. You just don't know where you will end up at this time of the year; but, you can rest assured the cruise line will make sure you get back to where you need to be!

Hope all of you have a wonderful time on your cruise! I did not want to come home!! :D If you have never been on the Mariner, you are in for a real treat! Everyone says not to miss the ice show, but I say, don't miss the shows by the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers -- especially, Sandra and Evan!!!! They are awesome! Can I stow away in someone's luggage???!! :D

Tropical Weather Update

September 10, 2004 - 3 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Ivan to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The company also continues to monitor its operations resulting from Hurricane Frances.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Due to damage caused by Hurricane Frances, Royal Caribbean is currently unable to bring its ships to Port Canaveral, Florida; Freeport, Bahamas; and Coco Cay, Bahamas, Royal Caribbean's private island.

In the case of Port Canaveral, a sand bar, 50 feet wide, was created by Hurricane Frances in the channel leading to the port. This has reduced the depth of the water in that area to approximately 30 feet. Mariner of the Seas, which normally sails from Port Canaveral, is one of the largest cruise ships in the world and requires a minimum water depth of 35 feet to safely sail. As a result, Mariner of the Seas is not currently able to sail from Port Canaveral.

NEWS ABOUT PORT CANAVERAL from the PC website: (Emphasis mine)

HURRICANE FRANCES AFFECTS PORT CANAVERAL OPERATIONS

Businesses, including restaurants and other companies, continue to return to full operation at Port Canaveral. In accordance with U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Information Bulletin 35-04, The U.S. Coast Guard has re-opened Port Canaveral bar to shallow draft marine traffic. Deep draft vessels are prohibited from attempting entry into Port Canaveral and the Port remains closed to these deep draft vessels.

:D This is GOOD and unexpected news... didn't think it would happen this soon. I was wrong, and that's a good thing!

So, This must mean that if your ship is a shallow draft vessel, it may be able to get into the channel and basin at Port Canaveral!!! :)

The Voyager Class ships (Mariner of the Seas is one) do NOT fit the definition of shallow draft. :(

Not enough of an expert drafts on all the various ships for all the various lines to have a clue which other ships may now be able to enter the port. Can anyone else shed some light on this?? (BTW - read somewhere that they are now saying there is a depth of 30')

In the case of Port Canaveral, a sand bar, 50 feet wide, was created by Hurricane Frances in the channel leading to the port. This has reduced the depth of the water in that area to approximately 30 feet. Mariner of the Seas, which normally sails from Port Canaveral, is one of the largest cruise ships in the world and requires a minimum water depth of 35 feet to safely sail. As a result, Mariner of the Seas is not currently able to sail from Port Canaveral.

This would imply that Sovereign, then, can. Anyone know for sure?

Nevermind the above question... found the answer. RCCL.com lists Sovereign as having a draft of only 25'!!!!

:D :D WOOO HOOO!!! :D :D

I have heard that the Sovereign, Both Disney ships, and the Glory will be sailing from PC THIS WEEKEND. However, the Mariner cannot get back into port until the dredging is complete.

So, this still does not tell us when they expect the dredging to be completed, but RCI has told us that the "dredging has commenced, and they are quite certain that the Mariner will be able to come back to PC by 9/19" (even though they are for certain dropping off the 9/12 cruisers in Miami!!)

Susanita-

Great news for you if they can get the PC harbor cleared by 9/19! If this holds true, they would drop off the 9/12 people in Miami on 9/19 and reposition back to PC that same day!

When you say, "RCI has told us that the dredging has commenced, and they are quite certain that the Mariner will be able to come back to PC by 9/19", who said that? Is this an official announcement or just someone's speculation? I love the news but don't want to dance until it is official!!!

I talked to a C&A rep at RCI at about 5:00 pm (central) today and was told that Port Canaveral was where Sovereign would sail from on Monday 9/13. She did not have the new itinerary though. In fact, she was surprised that she didn't show it yet... I guess I'll call back tomorrow.

Hi Cruisefour, Actually, this info came from the Port Authority, who our GL called this morning, and also from RCI customer service. However, I must say that in RCI's computer, it still shows our 9/19 cruise leaving from Miami. :(

It's also been posted that we should have concrete decisions by Monday, I guess we will see. We are prepared to go to Miami, if need be.

Port Canaveral Update

PORT CANAVERAL—4 p.m., September 10, 2004 – Commerce is rolling again at Port Canaveral. The U.S. Coast Guard has re-opened the harbor to ships with draft of as much as 28 feet. Earlier this week, smaller vessels were allowed to return to Port.

Restaurants, marinas, and other Port businesses also are open.

The re-opening gave access for ships with much-needed lumber and cement to off-load at Port Canaveral to allow rebuilding to begin in Brevard and Central Florida in the aftermath of Hurricanes Frances and Charley.

"We are grateful for the assistance of Governor Jeb Bush, Congressman Dave Weldon, and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge for their efforts on behalf of Port Canaveral," says Stan Payne, Chief Executive Officer of the Canaveral Port Authority. "The cooperation of the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, the cruise lines and commercial vessels allowed us to balance safety and commerce needs."

Jrm9999,

If you get a chance - ask them where they think we will be sailing to next week? I have gotten so many conflicting reports.

I don't know for sure. Captain Olsen has been great giving speeches every day on TV with updates. He did say that his plan on Sunday when he leaves is to cross over to the east of the Bahamas and head south. Other than that I don't know. That could take you to both labadee or the eastern side.

I do know Jamacia is expected to get damaged bad which is why they might not want to confirm it. Grand cayman is expecting the worst also. We were there Thursday and all the locals were boarding up everything.

JRM9999

What ports have you been to? I had friends that were supposed to be on the Mariner with you this week. They got frustrated with all the last minute notification and took the refund. I am just curious where the ship went.

Here is the schedule.

Tuesday - Left Miami 10:00PM

Wednesday - At Sea

Thursday - Grand Cayman

Friday - Cozumel

Saturday - At Sea

Sunday - Miami

Cruise News Daily reported that ships are allowed in the channel up to 28 feet draft. The Mariner of the Seas requires a dept of 35 feet. The survery has been completed. They mapped out a "roadmap" for those ships to navagate 28 feet consistantly (which will require the ships to steer to one side of the channel to maintain that depth) along the channel because some areas of the channel are as shallow as 22 feet and also to avoid that sand bar we've read about. The Mariner won't be allowed to enter the channel untll the dredging is completed which has not started yet. They still have to get the equipment in.

Just an FYI - Spoke to a senior manager at RCCL today - advised me that she is 100% sure the ship will return to Miami and if Port Canaveral reopens they will re-position the ship there after the drop off in Miami.

She advised that unless the Port of MIAMI is closed, it will re-dock there.

Robert

I found this info this morning while surfing all the other info about the huriccane ivan and the effect on our cruises. I pulled this off of the AOL travel website!

Just thought it would be helpful.

Royal Caribbean

Ships sailing from Port Canaveral

Sovereign of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral Friday, September 10, on a three-night sailing, will now make that sailing from Port Everglades. The ship will delay its departure from Port Everglades until 8 p.m., local time, Friday. The ship will sail a modified itinerary, visiting Nassau, Bahamas, from 8 a.m. to midnight on Saturday, and return to Port Canavral on Monday morning September 13. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to Port Everglades for this sailing. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing.

Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Port Canaveral Sunday, September 12, on a seven-night sailing, will now make that sailing from the Port of Miami. The ship will depart from the Port of Miami at 5 p.m., local time, Sunday. The ship will sail its normal itinerary and return to the Port of Miami on Sunday morning, September 19. Royal Caribbean will transport guests from Port Canaveral and the Orlando airport to the Port of Miami for this sailing. Guests are requested to arrive at Port Canaveral or the Orlando airport no later than 12:30 p.m. on Sunday. The company also will return guests to those locations at the conclusion of this sailing. Due to Hurricane Ivan, port calls are subject to change.

Ships sailing from Port Everglades

Enchantment of the Seas will not make its port call in Key West, Florida, today, and will not make its port call in Cozumel, Mexico, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea today and will make a port call in Labadee, Hispanola, on Saturday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Baltimore

Grandeur of the Seas will not make its port call in Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will spend the day at sea on Saturday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

Explorer of the Seas will not make its port call in Georgetown, Cayman Islands, today. Instead, it will spend the day at sea today.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its port call in Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Saturday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday. The ship will spend the day at sea on Sunday.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being impacted by tropical weather.

hope to be seaing you all real soon, judy

Even when you call RCI and a rep tells you that he/she is 100% sure that your ship is leaving from a particular port -- DON'T believe it!

Yesterday I was told that even though the Sovereign is returning to Port Everglades with its passengers on 9/13, those sailing out that afternoon will leave from Port Canaveral. I specifically asked if they were repositioning after the drop off and was told that they were.

The 3pm advisory today now says we are leaving from Port Everglades and will return to Port Canaveral! Who knows what the 10pm advisory will say?? I'm beginning to not believe anything they tell me. When I actually see the ship I'll believe that I'm going on a cruise. :(

I am trying to find out what time to be at the Orlando Airport to meet a shuttle to Port Everglades (now that I have found at it has been changed AGAIN from Port Canaveral for the Sovereign of the Seas 9/13 cruise) The rep on the phone says she cannot tell me a time?????????? Does anyone have any idea?? I know the time to be at the ship is

My patience is wearing thin..:confused:

Mimi

After 3 calls to Royal Caribbean I finally got an answer- if you are meeting the shuttle in Orlando at the Airport for the Port Everglades embarkment on 9/13/04 at 8pm on Sovereign of the Seas, you are to be picked up at the airport from 9:30 am - 3:00 pm on Monday. I don't know why that was so hard to find out. Next cruise will NOT be during hurricane season.:(

Archived