Any recommendations on what to do in Maui (Day 2)?

tofuyan

I am still trying to finish up in my plans for my POH trip for 12/17 and am stuck on what to do on Day 2 in Maui. Are there any places to walk around near the pier in Maui? Or any buses I can hop on to go to the nearest shopping/beach area? Any suggestions?:)

There's a free shuttle from the pier to Ka'ahumanu Center (shopping center a little over a mile from the pier) and there's a beach across the street from that in front of the hotels (Maui Beach & Maui Seaside). There are also free shuttles to Hilo Hattie's and a couple of other "major retailers."

Depending on where you went the first day (and assuming you're not renting a car on Day 2), you might take the bus to someplace you missed the day before (I'd probably just go to Charley's Bar in Paia and leave it at that). Anyway, you can get the map and schedule at http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/.

There's a free shuttle from the pier to Ka'ahumanu Center (shopping center a little over a mile from the pier) and there's a beach across the street from that in front of the hotels (Maui Beach & Maui Seaside). There are also free shuttles to Hilo Hattie's and a couple of other "major retailers."

Depending on where you went the first day (and assuming you're not renting a car on Day 2), you might take the bus to someplace you missed the day before (I'd probably just go to Charley's Bar in Paia and leave it at that). Anyway, you can get the map and schedule at http://www.co.maui.hi.us/bus/.

Thanks a lot!:)

Here's an excerpt from my longer review of our excursions. I thought our second day in Maui was one of my favorite with just the right mix of relaxing drives with gorgeous scenery. Haven't read your other plans, but we loved this day:

Maui Day 2 - Left ship early to beat the crowds to turn in the convertible and upgrade to a minivan. Returned to ship to pick up others and headed off for Ioa Needle. Took only 15 - 20 minutes to drive there and although there are a lot of steps to climb it was a beautiful site.

Second stop was Tedeschi Winery. Loved this destination! Gave those of us who didn't take the curvy trip up to the top of the crater a taste of the views on that side of the island. Gorgeous vistas, easy drive and very nice gift shop and tasting room at the winery. Ate at the picnic tables at the Ranch store across the street as suggested and had a very nice leisurely lunch there. Some had elk burgers which were good and huge but most voted the terriyaki beef sandwiches were best. Again they were huge so could easily serve two. We were disappointed you could not enjoy the wine or even cold beers sold at the store on the premises of the winery or store, but the 4 or 5 miles of curvy road just before the winery would not have been easy for anyone drinking and driving (even a few) so just as well.

Retraced our route (only option) to third stop of the day was Ho'okipa Beach to see the windsurfers. Red flags were out so no surfers, but the overlook there was fantastic and we enjoyed driving through the surf town of Pa'ia and passing Mama's Fish House which had been on our list until I read about someone spending $183 on lunch for 2 there. We laughed and said we could have eatten our spam sandwiches as we drove by and said "We had lunch with the gorgeous view from Mama's Fish House."

These 3 stops made for a perfect day seeing Mts, vistas, and surf at a very leisurely pace and we were so glad we didn't take the RTH! Maybe next time.

You might try googling Lahaina to see if it's up your alley. My family loves to spend a day there. It's a very picturesque and historic town, full of galleries (wear your swimsuit around town, no one cares), shops, restaurants & bars, a beautiful park with the famous Lahaina Banyon tree, a nice beach for swimming, snorkelling, or watching the surfers give lessons.

Archived