meridan

I sailed the Meridian in March of 1996 from San Juan to the Panama Canal. My husband was one of a very few passengers or crew members on board who were not seasick! The ship waited for a late New York flight to arrive into San Juan, and sailed several hours later than planned. I'm not sure if the captain was trying to make up time lost, or not, but the entire ship rose up and slammed back down and shuttered all night long. I enjoyed the cruise two days afterwards, but the first day was horrible! That was our second cruise, but didn't discourage me from sailing again! We've sailed 14 times since that and have a cruise planned for this summer. As the saying goes, "A bad sea day is much better than a great work day!" (Or something like that.) May the Meridian rest in a much deserved peace.

We sailed the Celebrity Meridian, from Boston to Bermuda, 3 times, 1991, 1992, 1993. Loved that ship...felt like we lost family when we heard of her sinking of Malaysia.:( A grand old lady!! Food and service were superb! Once she stopped sailing from Boston, we had to seek another ship to get us to Bermuda, and elsewhere.....22 cruises later, we're still hooked on cruising!!

She was our first cruise after a 20 year absence (kids, life and no flying)...very 1st was the Chandris Atlantis back in 1972.

Meridian still has a warm place in our hearts.

• 3 months later...

Sailed on the Meridian from Newport News to Bermuda. We were in a terrible storm and listing with water running in the hallways. Very frightening to say the least...most everyone on board was sick including the crew. I carry no special memories of her and wasnt surprised when i heard she had gone down. I also contracted Legionaries disease onboard and took months to recover so you see why she wasnt one of my favorites. However we love to cruise and hop aboard lots of different ships.

• 6 months later...

I was just reading back through this thread again and noticing how many people have had a rough ride on her. My first cruise was on Meridian in 9/94 and it was the roughest cruise I have ever been on. Does anyone know if the ship was ever fitted with stabilizers? Seems a lot of people had a rough ride on her and i'm just wondering if it had to do with the design of the ship or just bad luck with weather?

• 7 months later...

Archived