When is the Majesty being retired?

momofmeg

I am asking because we are considering doing a Bermuda cruise from Charleston, SC this spring but we keep hoping a newer ship will go out of Charleston, SC so maybe we should wait until 09. On the otherhand, what if NCL does not put a ship there when they retire the Majesty?

Does anyone know anything about the 09 schedule and also if another ship will do Bermuda cruises from Charleston in 09?

I have the 2008-09 catalog for NCL and it doesnt show the Majesty going to bermuda from SC after June 14. It then moves to Philadelphia and Boston which goes to Bermuda....the last sailing it shows is Sept. 27th out of Philly......All the other ships in the catalog have sailings posted for 09 so I dont know if thats a wrap for the majesty or not. It just doesnt say...

I don't think NCL will put a much newer, larger ship in Charleston any time soon. That's the impression I get based on the port and the market.

For a Bermuda cruise, you really don't need a lot in a ship. I imagine it is just a ferry ride to the island, basically. Bermuda is the real attraction on that itinerary, not the ship. I would choose another cruise if being on a modern ship is most important.

What other ship will NCL have to place in Charleston the summer of 09?

Let's review what they will have, and where they probably will be sailing from, or to.

1) Gem > Europe from Barcelona

2) Pearl > Alaska from Seattle

3) Jade > Europe from Barcelona

4) Jewel > Europe from Dover

5) Pride of America > Hawaii from Honolulu

6) Dawn > Bermuda from New York

7) Star > Alaska from Seattle

8) Sun > Alaska from Vancouver

9) Pride of Aloha > Hawaii from Honolulu

10) Spirit > Bermuda from Boston

11) Majesty ? > Bermuda from ?

12) Dream ? > NCL schedule appears to end in late 2008?

There are no other ships in NCL's fleet before early 2010 when the first of two new super large F3 class ships arrive.

Since NCL is presently leasing the Majesty and Dream from Star Cruises, and NCL's SEC forms indicate a sudden drop in future lease payments in 2010, I don't believe it to be stretching the truth far to suggest the Majesty planned transfer to Star Cruises will be in very late 2009 or very early 2010. Therefore, that suggests the Majesty will cruise to Bermuda for NCL during the summer of 2009, the only question to be answer is from where? Charleston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, or all three like what occurs in 2008.

The only way NCL could have a newer ship available for Charleston in 2009 is the Pride of Aloha and America becoming available IF and WHEN NCLA is broken up. IF that were to occur, one would think one or both ships would join NCL, and that one or both would remain in Hawaii sailing longer cruises to Fanning Island. That hope of either Pride of A becoming available is very small, in my opinion.

I don't think NCL will put a much newer, larger ship in Charleston any time soon. That's the impression I get based on the port and the market.

For a Bermuda cruise, you really don't need a lot in a ship. I imagine it is just a ferry ride to the island, basically. Bermuda is the real attraction on that itinerary, not the ship. I would choose another cruise if being on a modern ship is most important.

I agree!

We booked Majesty in 08 because I thought it was possible there would be no Charleston to Bermuda cruise in 09. Now, from what I am reading it looks like 09 will be the same as 08. That's good because maybe I will repeat the trip in 09 with some of our children. It will save a lot on airfare.

I remember being on that ship when it was part of Majesty Cruise Lines -they had 1 ship and it was rather upscale--I dint think it was time to consider retiring the ship

I loved her as teh Royal Majesty, she was my first 3 cruises, all Boston to Bermuda. She even used to have a 2 deck high atrium before they stretched her. Definitely felt more upscale as the Royal Majesty, you never would have known it by the fares they charged though, was very reasonably priced. I do truly think she lost alot of her charm when they stretched her, JMHO. Have not been on her since '99, maybe should give the old gal one last sailing......Happy Cruising!

No you are surmizing the wrong thoughts from me and if you looked at my profile you would know better. I am not bothered by "old ships". I have also been to Bermuda before and yes I want to go baqck there. Much preferable going there then going on a monster ship to Cozumel or Nassau.

I have been on several old ships. I actually would prefer an old small ship to one of the new monster ships.

What does bother me is I saw the Majesty broke down in Charleston, SC last New year's eve. I also met a couple of men when we ate dinner ion Jestine's Kitchen who had come off the Christmas cruise where-because one of the engines had died -the ship had to limp back to Charleston and they had no air conditioning, even in December the caribbeanis pretty warm. They told me people were sleeping out on the lido deck on the chaise lounges because it was too hot to sleep in their stateroom.

I guess I am just afraid instead of their doing an engine overhaul-since this ship was already scheudled to be retired, that a patch up job was done to hold the ship for a couple more years. If that was done, I don't want to be on the crusie when the patch up job gives-that is all.

I know that it has been posted before, but which ship will be retiring first, the Majesty or the Dream?

Either way, I wish they wouldn't transfer them to Star Cruises, especially the Majesty. I would love to sail on her again in the future.

Next fall, the Dream. Fall or winter 2009 most likely, the Majesty. The Majesty's transfer time isn't confirmed by NCL's posted scheduling yet, because the posted schedules past spring 2009 aren't public for any NCL ship. When they are publicly posted, we'll just have to note when it's last cruise is.

We booked Majesty in 08 because I thought it was possible there would be no Charleston to Bermuda cruise in 09. Now, from what I am reading it looks like 09 will be the same as 08. That's good because maybe I will repeat the trip in 09 with some of our children. It will save a lot on airfare.

The exact reason we are looking at the Majesty. We live in the Atlanta,GA area so it is a five hour drive for us.

We recently go off the Celebrity Constellation in New Jersey. We debarked a little before 10 AM, caught a shuttle to the airport, went through airport secruity, then waited an hour for our plane to leave. The flight was almost 2 hours, we landed, went to the luggage terminal, got our luggage, then we took a shuttle to the parking lot where our car was parked while we were on the cruise. By the time we walked in our front door of our home it was almost 5 PM.

So it isn't just the cost of the flight-we could drive home from Charleston in the time it takes us to fly from NY or NJ. (we usually fly to/from Newark airport when departing from NY or NJ-our last cruise to Bermuda we flew into that airport, plus it looks as though we actually would have about half a day longer in Bermuda then we had on that Bermuda cruise-as that time is was not quite 3 days, we arrived on a Tuesday at 2pm and left on a Friday at noon)

So it just makes good sense for us to take a Bermuda cruise from Charleston,SC instead of New York or New Jersey.

From what I have read here-the ship is not being retired but traded, so that makes me feel better, I would think there was a major overhual of the engines last year.

Now I guess, I will just have to get my hubby to decide if her wants to go to Turk and Caicos and San Juan or to Bermuda . Whichever he decides for this year, I am sure we will do the other next year-so I am happy to know the Majesty will do Bermuda crusies from Charleston in 09. I want to go to both places so I do not care which we do first.

• 3 months later...

I noticed the Majesty has dropped her prices for the April 26 cruise. we can't go then but I thought I would let others know. especially those who liv ein the south and want to go to Bermuda, the embarking and deabarking port is Charleston, SC

Archived