Belize - Is it worth it?!

eastexascruiser

We are planning our 2008 cruise & I was looking at an itineray that includes Belize. DH & I love to snorkel so I was very interested in Belize. After some preliminary research, I am wondering if it is worth the hassle.

The port of Belize is a (long) tender port, requiring a 15 minute ride to & from the pier. Then, any "water" excursions require another water taxi or plane ride (ie Caye Caulker or Amb. Caye). Then once that destination is reached, a passenger would hook up with another tour operator. I found few tour operators that pick up in Belize City. Most are Caye Caulker or Amb. Caye. It appears it would shorten transportation time if the tour guide left from Belize City.

Gee whiz, that is 3 hours of an 8 hour stop consumed just in transportation. Then add an hour safety net on each side of the trip so that is 5 of the 8 hours so that leaves 3 hours of actual time on an excursion. Is it worth it?

We did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point in Grand Cayman last month. I loved the tour, but honestly, it was rushed. We were hurried at the snorkel stops & we had little time after eating lunch to enjoy Rum Point. If we visit Grand Cayman again, we will hang out in the port area rather than rush around on an excursion.

We prefer to "do our own thing" while in port, but there don't appear to be many options in Belize. It appears that the safest bet is to do a ship tour or pick from the few listed tour operators since there is such a time crunch.

I've read that Carnival might be building a port in Belize. Maybe I should avoid Belize until this is done??

Any thoughts from those of you who have visited Belize?? Maybe I am over-reacting??

We hired a taxi (minivan) and the driver acted as our guide and spoke perfect english. He was from Jamaica. Drove us all over the place. Not that much really to see but you get an idea what the area is like. I think that we payed $75.00 for all day. We went to a shopping area(market) about 45 minutes from the pier and found the best bargins of the cruise. Pretty cheap if you consider there was four of us.

Do not know where you heard that Carnival will build a pier but DO NOT count on it.

Tendering is done to protect a major coral reef. Even with Carnival's clout, they will not spoil what is a natural wonder for the country.

http://www.internationalliving.com/countries/belize/country_archive/02_17_06

Here is just one quick article about the Carnival port in Belize, but I have heard quite a bit of talk on this issue & even saw mention of it on this board. I am no expert & maybe things have changed but I know this is something that has been given serious consideration & had/has approval. I'd be interested to know the status, maybe it has been haulted??

Do not know where you heard that Carnival will build a pier but DO NOT count on it.

Tendering is done to protect a major coral reef. Even with Carnival's clout, they will not spoil what is a natural wonder for the country.

The pier is under construction as we speak.

To the op, I was there a few weeks ago and could care less if I ever go back. Give me Cozumel any day over this place. The tendering is a pain to begin with and it was just not a nice place for me.

Yes yes yes yes YES. Wonderful, beautiful place. We went cave tubing, which was fun but I would have much preferred snorkeling. This is one case where you want to book the Carnival tour (if you go Carnival). The boat that takes you snorkeling pulls right alongside and you don't even need to tender. You don't even get in the tendering line.

Belize is absolutely gorgeous. Belize City is poor and crime ridden (every single window has a grate on it- even on the third floor???) but we loved it. Cave tubing really is fun. You take a bus through the countryside and get to see some jungle action. Fun.

Did the Shark/Ray Alley excursion last year and thought it was one of our best treats on the trip. Highly well done. Very safe and renewed my hubby's love of snorkeling after nearly drowning in Cozumel.

Yes, we got boat rides, and snorkeling and a chance to shop, eat and wander the town on Ambergris Caye. (Don't panic at the prices in town, that is Belizian $ = 1/2 US $.)

The tender to the lovely cruise port was short. All too quickly we were transferred to the travel boat for a fast, beautiful ride through some gorgeous scenery, then snorkeling in a great area (although I didn't see the one little nurse shark that hadn't been killed).

I think the name of the little town was San Pedro, but don't hold me to that. Lunch was yummy and I ended up buying some of the spices a few doors down the road. Further down the road there was a great place for homemade icecream where we found all our tour guides with hearty bowls of special flavors. So nice.

Coming back to the ship, they took us directly on board. Think of the small boat cruising as a benefit of the excursion. It certainly felt that way.:)

I took a carnival excursion, power snorkel island break the boat took us off of the ship first time to snorkel it was amazing.only about 20 people on this island spent 90 minutes back to ship,change clothes took tender into port about 15 minute ride. shopped inside gate then went outside,seemed to be a little pushy but would do it all again.:p

:p I took a carnival excursion, power snorkel island break the boat took us off of the ship first time to snorkel it was amazing.only about 20 people on this island spent 90 minutes back to ship,change clothes took tender into port about 15 minute ride. shopped inside gate then went outside,seemed to be a little pushy but would do it all again.:p

We have been to Belize twice on cruises. The first time we took a combination excursion out to the wild animal park (zoo) which gave us a great overview on the ride out of the city and the country side. Yes, there is extreme poverty. After a terrific lunch we came back to the harbor on a river cruise which was really quite exciting as the engine had water in it and stalled out. While we were waiting for a replacement boat, we listened to the howling monkeys overhead and watched the alligators. On our second trip we experienced our first airboat ride--it was awesome!

We have been on fifteen cruises and are always looking for something new and it is an experience to behold when visiting other countries. On a side note, when we visited Guatemala, we went to a banana plantation and after viewing the working conditions that these folks had to endure for seven dollars a day, I vowed that I would never complain about the price of bananas again!!

Carnival told us that back in 2003 in the Belize shop talk spill (you know how there is a shop talk spill before every port on cruises) when we were on Carnival Inspiration and went to Belize-they said then it would be ready in 2005. I guess not.

Belize also has some fantastic Mayan ruins. The best sites require a drive that will take you almost to the border with Guatemala, but in my opinion it's worth the effort. Belize is also one of those places where I book ship's tours exclusively, due to the distances and time involved. Ships have to anchor a long way out due to the shallow water, but use large high-speed boats for tendering and I haven't seen it as a major problem...that is, until you join the line to return to the ship. You have to make sure you are in the right line if there are several ships visiting.

I read that back in 1989 the United States along with the British Governments gave Belize several million dollars to fund and construct a pier in Belize City. The money ended up in the pockets of corrupt Belize government officials.

I may not be correct on the year.

Our snorkeling trip in Belize was the highlight of our trip in April! We did take a tender to shore, and did take a boat via a tour company out to where we snorkled. Was it a hassle? Absolutely not! It was a great time. We had a great time on the boat trip getting to know some other folks and the snorkeling was fabulous! We visited Caye Caulker and loved it.

Good luck with your trip!

We'll be in Belize on 12/24/07.....We would like to book the RCCL catamaran, beach & snorkel through the ship....I have been posting on various boards and no one seems familiar with this excursion. It says we will be picked up from the ship by the catamaran? Has anyone done this through RCCL?

Thanks

Thank you for the encouragement :) It's not that we don't like to try new things, in fact it is just the opposite. My only concern with this particular port is what appears to be extensive travel time to actually get to do an excursion.

You are right in some respects to travel time for excursions. We went to Lamanai - I think the furthest destination.

We decided that the travel time was worth the experience that we were in for. We also used the travel time to get to know the country and the history (we went on an independent tour and we were the only ones in the group).

We were not disappointed! I would do it all over again. (1 1/4 hours by van, then another hour by speed boat - each way!)

If you want a nice snorkel excursion in Belize, try the Goff's Caye trip through Carnival. We usually try to avoid ship's excursions, but we wanted to avoid the tendering then going back out again. The boat picks you up right at the ship and brings you back to the ship. I have a post [from 2005] about this somewhere on this board. It was one of the best excursions we've ever done!

If you want a nice snorkel excursion in Belize, try the Goff's Caye trip through Carnival. We usually try to avoid ship's excursions, but we wanted to avoid the tendering then going back out again. The boat picks you up right at the ship and brings you back to the ship. I have a post [from 2005] about this somewhere on this board. It was one of the best excursions we've ever done!

That's the one I was referring to. I saw the boat alongside the ship and I thought "that's the way to go." The tender trip into Belize is a gorgeous ride. It's a little longer than usual but not by much.

Archived