To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade?

We will be sailing on the Miracle (8 day) on 3/6/08. We are currently in an inside cabin (DH, DS10, DS8, and myself). We sailed last year and got a visit from the upgrade fairy from inside to oceanview. I am now thinking that I might not be happy with an inside cabin. Called online TA and can get upgrade to oceanview room assigned or guarantee for $321. Have decided to do the upgrade but can't decide to pick the room number or go guarantee and hope for a balcony upgrade. Any advice would be appreciated!

We will be sailing on the Miracle (8 day) on 3/6/08. We are currently in an inside cabin (DH, DS10, DS8, and myself). We sailed last year and got a visit from the upgrade fairy from inside to oceanview. I am now thinking that I might not be happy with an inside cabin. Called online TA and can get upgrade to oceanview room assigned or guarantee for $321. Have decided to do the upgrade but can't decide to pick the room number or go guarantee and hope for a balcony upgrade. Any advice would be appreciated!

For 4 in a cabin, thats not a bad upgrade to the OceanView. If you don't care what you will be getting as long as its a OceanView or higher, I would go with the Guarantee big time.

Fred

Why not just upgrade on up to a balcony instead of taking the oceanview guarantee and hoping for a balcony upgrade? You'll be guaranteed an oceanview room, not guaranteed an upgrade. Book what you know you'll be happy with, then there's no disappointment. Balcony issue aside, I'd take the upgrade if that amount is for all 4, but my question is how can they give the upgrade assigned or guarantee for the same price? I always thought choosing your own cabin was a little higher.?

my question is how can they give the upgrade assigned or guarantee for the same price? I always thought choosing your own cabin was a little higher.?

Its always been the same price for the same category. Cat.6a or Cat.6a guarantee is the same price.

Upgrading to a balcony now for 4 will cost over 1000.00

Fred

The balcony upgrade is to pricey at this time. We've never had a balcony and might be better off not knowing what we are missing. I also asked if the guarantee was cheaper and was told it was the same price, however, the TA thought we might have a better shot at a visit from the upgrade fairy with a guarantee. We are going to go to an oceanview since we decided we would not be happy with an inside after thinking about being on a longer cruise. Leaning toward guarantee just a little leary of getting below disco or very noisy location. Are there really any absolutely horrible rooms? I'll just be happy to be on another cruise!

I also asked if the guarantee was cheaper and was told it was the same price, however, the TA thought we might have a better shot at a visit from the upgrade fairy with a guarantee. We are going to go to an oceanview since we decided we would not be happy with an inside after thinking about being on a longer cruise. Leaning toward guarantee just a little leary of getting below disco or very noisy location. Are there really any absolutely horrible rooms? I'll just be happy to be on another cruise!

Everyone's rule should be to "only book a guarentee if you're willing to be happy with whatever room you end up with in the category you booked" and forget what the TA or PVP says about "likely upgrade"-- yes an upgrade might happen, when it does it's usually within the same category but sometimes the upgrade fairly takes a special liking to you ;) but remember that all the rooms that no one wanted to specifically pick have to be assigned and one of those "could" be yours :(

I doubt there are very many " always absolutely horrible rooms" although you have to remember that on any given cruise different factors change so people do sometimes end up in rooms that they will describe as horrible. The biggest thing to remember is that, like so much else about a cruise, what defines a horrible room is subjective.

If you're gonna be unhappy with a room below the disco or any other location that has a higher possiblity of having more noise than DON"T book a guarentee.

Sometimes too an upgrade can be a bad thing. I booked a inside 1A but asked the TA if a certian cabin was available. She said no but another one that I might like was. It is a cabin that is OV but with portholes that is a 1A. (these are usually inside cabins) She booked it and I told her to make a note to Carnival that I did not want an upgrade. They could move me to a higher deck on an upgrade. But it would be an inside cabin....

I'll take the portholes.

Its always been the same price for the same category. Cat.6a or Cat.6a guarantee is the same price.

I've ALWAYS paid LESS for a Cat 6 guarantee than I would have for a Cat 6A. That's the benefit of going guarantee, it's cheaper than the lowest category they can assign. I have on rare occasions seen guarantee cabins more expensive than lowest cabin in that category, but it's usually balcony guarantees and only rare occasions.

If it is a 4 or 5 nighter for a quick getaway...I like to gamble with the guarantees. Been inside....didn't kill me. Been in THE suite on Princess. Sure I preferred the suite but it is all about how much you want to spend. Love balconies but if I am in a cheapo mood.....go with the guarantee.

:)

Archived