Alaska: North/South Bound vs. Glacier Bay

DarthGrady

We are planning a honeymoon Alaska cruise for May 2009 and trying to decide between the North/South Bound or Glacier Bay cruises. Can anyone offer advice, tips, etc.?

Alaska is absolutely beautiful. You won't be disappointed. My suggestion is to look at the itinerary for both the North and South Bound cruises and compare what times they are cruising through the Glaciers and times in port to see which you prefer.

My mother feels that the only way to see Alaska is on a Northbound cruise so that you gradually start to see all of the wonderful scenery.

Be sure to dress warmly! It was pretty weird packing for our June cruise and putting knit hats, gloves and scarves in our bags when it was 100 here in Texas. The fleece shirts we brought along were much used as well. Leave your shorts and flip flops at home. You won't be needing them.

Good advice, thanks! Now you say you wont need shorts and flip flops, but do they close the dome so that you can use the middle pools at all? Not so much for the actual swimming, but I do like to relax in the chairs up on the lido sometimes.

My Dh and I are booked on the Spirit for its roundtrip Vancouver trip to AL on May 14th, 2008. My daughter gave me a book, One Thousand Places You nees to See Before You Die. Glacier Bay was in it and highly recommended. Also these boards are very pro Glacier Bay. Carnival only goes there in May and September. Other cruise lines do it all spring cruise season. We picked May because it's my birthday present! Hope this helps.:D

If I had the time I would have done a land portion to our cruise...Taking in Denali and traveling a bit by train then hop on the ship for a relaxing cruise home...

Since you are close to Vancouver long flights are not going to be an issue...SOO I would start south and cruise north watching the scenery get more fantastic ending on a real high note..NB and SB itineraries include College Fjord..Which is beautiful but sometimes Ice can get in the way and you cannot sail very deep into the Fjord...HOWEVER..You do have a really long time in port while in Juneau and you could book a Tracy Arm Tour that takes you right up to the face of the Sawyer Glacier for some up close and personal time with ICE...

Glacier Bay intineraries are early and late in the season...Those both begin and end in Vancouver..Bad thing is shorter port times and you dont get to stop in Sitka...Good thing is Glacier Bay is supposed to be one of the do not miss places to visit...

You need to research Alaska and find out what and where your intrests lie...For us it was Glaciers the first time and Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier were fantastic......This time we want to do a really awesome whale watch tour..Which we have already booked...There is so much to see and do in Alaska..You just have to figure out what you want out of your cruise..

Kelly

We did the spirit Vancouver to Glacier bay and back! September 07. It was a wonderful trip whales, glaciers, we rode the train in Skagway. It was a great trip it was our 9th carnival and was by far the smoothest trip ever. If you have the $$ or can find an internet deal (we did) stay at the pan pacific hotel in vancouver it is on the cruise pier, so the porters from the hotel deliver the luggage to the ship, pretty slick :)

Great food great ship great views great trip!

Archived