A question about the cabin safe

Avril

I've been on 8 cruises and am on my 9th in February (9 more weeks, WAA HOO!! :D ). I've always used one of my credit cards for the safe in my cabin and it works very well. However, this time I'm going to use one of my credit cards for my S&S account and the other for buying things ashore so I don't want to use either of them for my cabin safe. I was wondering, can I use an old S&S card for the safe or does it stop working when you swipe it at debarkation at the end of the cruise (as you get off the ship for the last time)? If that card won't work, what else can I use? My boyfriend and I are sailing on Carnival Conquest by the way (in case that makes some sort of difference). :D

Thanks in Advance!! :D

I've been on 8 cruises and am on my 9th in February (9 more weeks, WAA HOO!! :D ). I've always used one of my credit cards for the safe in my cabin and it works very well. However, this time I'm going to use one of my credit cards for my S&S account and the other for buying things ashore so I don't want to use either of them for my cabin safe. I was wondering, can I use an old S&S card for the safe or does it stop working when you swipe it at debarkation at the end of the cruise (as you get off the ship for the last time)? If that card won't work, what else can I use? My boyfriend and I are sailing on Carnival Conquest by the way (in case that makes some sort of difference). :D

With the exception of three ships, Celebration, Holiday and Fantasy, it makes no difference what ship you're on.

You can use any card with a magnetic stripe. Your old S&S card should work fine. I use an old gift card thingy and it works great. You could even use a library card, as long as it has a mag stripe on the back.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Safe.aspx

Have a great time!

what the exception for the fantasy???

According to the Carnival web site she still requires a key to open the safe.

On the following ships, guests must obtain a key from their room Steward. There is no charge; however, a $40 fee will be charged to their Sail & Sign Account in the event the key is lost or not returned by the last evening of the cruise: Holiday Jubilee Celebration Fantasy Ecstasy.

On the following ships, guests must obtain a key from their room Steward. There is no charge; however, a $40 fee will be charged to their Sail & Sign Account in the event the key is lost or not returned by the last evening of the cruise: Holiday Jubilee Celebration Fantasy Ecstasy.

I was on the Fantasy in January, and the Ecstasy in May - they both had numeric keypads on the in-cabin safe.

With the exception of three ships, Celebration, Holiday and Fantasy, it makes no difference what ship you're on.

You can use any card with a magnetic stripe. Your old S&S card should work fine. I use an old gift card thingy and it works great. You could even use a library card, as long as it has a mag stripe on the back.

Have a great time!

Thanks Mach!! :D I didn't know that you could use a library card as well. Maybe I'll use that instead of an old S&S card since I always have it with me anyway. One less thing to have to worry about losing!! :D

OMG, I'm so excited about this cruise!! :D It'll be my 9th and my boyfriend's 1st!! I can't wait (and neither can he)!!!! :D

we had key pads on the Celebration but a lot people said they have use old room keys to hotels or old creditcards. They say that usually anything with a swipe bar on the back will work.

Going on a girlfriends cruise - if I use an old giftcard - what do you do if one goes to the room for the safe and the other isn't there? I'm assuming we can only use one giftcard...do you hide the card in the room somewhere? Been on many cruises, but always with DH and it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks!

Going on a girlfriends cruise - if I use an old giftcard - what do you do if one goes to the room for the safe and the other isn't there? I'm assuming we can only use one giftcard...do you hide the card in the room somewhere? Been on many cruises, but always with DH and it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks!

I leave the card I use somewhere in the room. Mainly because my wallet is in the safe & I don't want to carry anything other than my S&S on me. I don't think anyone wants to steal a AAA card if they do come across it.

If you use a very inconspicuous card - such as a grocery card or library card - you can just leave it in the cabin. I use a shoe holder for all my little things and hang it in my closet - usually designate one pocket for the card. That way of one person locks the safe another can come in unlock and relock. I wouldn't use an old S&S as this might tempt someone who isn't honest to try it - knowing that many people do use their S&S (which you shouldn't do).

Case in point: You decide to lock all your cash up in your safe and you use your S&S card. You start out the door and "think" you are putting your card in your back pocket but miss. Some dishonest person is coming down the hall behind you and see you drop the card. Now the S&S card doesn't have your cabin number on it - but he (or she) just saw you walk out of the cabin. After you get down the hall they knock on the door - no one answers - they use the card to get into cabin and now have access to your safe. If you use a different card they are not likely to start searching the cabin and risk being catch. If it doesn't work they are out of there - after maybe picking up an item or two - but your cash is safe.

this information is incorrect. well, as far as it pertained to our cabin on fantasy in july '06, as our cabin had a safe w/ a keypad.

OP -- i use my GAP card.

Thanks!

The safe has no memory and only will open to the last card used to lock it.

We used one of my credit cards that we knew would nto work or be used in Europe. After locking the safe I would just put it under my undies and socks in the drawer. That way if paula wanted to open the safe when I was not there she knew where the card was.

Using it in the safe did not damage it but I had heard of people who had cards magnetically chewed up in a room safe and that is why we used a non vital one.

David

I used our active s & s card on our last cruise and, contrary to what the card inside the safe says, it worked just fine. It DID etch a groove into the magnetic strip after about 6 days and I had to get a replacement card, but even THAT card worked fine. DON'T use a card that has value to you because if you're using it for more than a few days, it could damage the strip on your card and that CAN'T be easily replaced by going to the purser's desk!

Archived