id req'd?

ffam4

If a photo ID is needed, does that mean bring a passport (in port) for children who are too young to drive? Thanks.

I don't think it's a great idea to bring passports considering the booming 'industry' in black market IDs. Your state should issue photo identification cards for people too young, or too old, to drive. Consider checking into it.

Again-depends on the port.

We always bring our driver's licenses-I look like I'm 15 though I'm 25, and get carded when in American ports occasionally. :eek: The passport stays in the safe, unless CC decides to hold onto it for that particular cruise (we're Canadian, so it's a requirement we have that).

Key West requires you to carry your ID with you if you dock on the outer mole.

do I need ID when in ports. What qualifies? Aphotocopy of passport?

:cool: :cool: I always take my passport - you will be on foreign soil and you never know what may come up (ie: missing ship, arrest (God forbid) etc.

and a photocopy will not do. This is our 4th cruise and go out on Liberty Feb 16. We are from Thunder Bay, where are you from. Happy sailing

Cindy:cool: :cool:

I don't think it's a great idea to bring passports considering the booming 'industry' in black market IDs. Your state should issue photo identification cards for people too young, or too old, to drive. Consider checking into it.

I have always thought the same thing. But...IF you get stuck in port for any reason your passport is on the ship. Then what??? :confused: :eek:

The industry in black market passports has been around longer than you have probably been alive.

Lived behind the Iron Curtain for 2 years, 1969-1971 while my husband was stationed in the Army in Berlin. DH traveled with his military ID. I traveled with my passport. Never had a problem or was worried about my passport ID being stolen. We were always careful with our ID's and kept them very close to our bodies. Traveled back to Europe 3 times betwen 1996 and 1999 and always had our passports with us and very happy about it.

Started taking cruises in late 2002. Have completed 20 cruises so far and have taken our passports with us into ports every cruise except our cruise to Alaska.

If we are ever left in a foreign port for any reason, would much prefer having our passports with us. Your drivers license or copy of a birth certificate means pretty much nothing at a foreign airport when you want to exit that country and fly back home or to the next port of call on your itinerary.

Dianne

I totally agree with you and had posted just that before you. Driver's licence is fine in some cases but not all. My concern is same as yours - if you get stuck somewhere and have to fly out you are screwed. cindy

Hope Host Mach rethinks his advice.

Obviously many of our posters have never considered what it would be like to be left in a foreign port without a passport.

Time to get real as as passports are aquickly becoming the major means of ID in most foreign ports and countries. Photo copies of a passport is just not the acceptable way to identify yourself any more than producing a photo copy of your drivers license to a police officer in theh US.

Dianne

Getting back on the ship in St. Kitts we had to take our hats and sunglasses off for the guard at the gate to the pier.....never had that happen before. He took actual minutes to study our ID not just the cursory glance they usually give it.

In Nassau we made the mistake of just taking our S&S cards with us. The gate-person almost didn't let my DH back on the ship.:rolleyes:

I see your point about taking your passport, but I must admit we never have.

Getting back on the ship in St. Kitts we had to take our hats and sunglasses off for the guard at the gate to the pier.....never had that happen before. He took actual minutes to study our ID not just the cursory glance they usually give it.

In Nassau we made the mistake of just taking our S&S cards with us. The gate-person almost didn't let my DH back on the ship.:rolleyes:

I see your point about taking your passport, but I must admit we never have.

Have found Mexican Riveria ports more stringent on proper ID than Caribbean ports in general.

Can't tell you how mant times we have breezed through port ID points showing our passport ID in comparison to those showing birth certificate and drivers licenses at all ports as well as at airports.

Hate to get in line with those traveling with BC & drivers licence as ID. Holds up the lines way too much.

Dianne

Archived