snorkel Roatan or Belize?

simple girl

OK, this is our first cruise...we are going to Roatan, Guatemala, Belize, and Cozumel January 2008.

We are novice snorkelers but absolutely fell in love with it during our trip to Hawaii in 2005.

We plan to snorkel in Cozumel (not sure where yet). We aren't sure whether to snorkel in Belize or Roatan, since we also want to do a zipline, and that is offered at both locations as well. So I am asking for opinions - which is the best place to snorkel - Belize or Roatan? (and any specific places at those locations that are recommended would be most appreciated)

Note that we only have from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Roatan, but we have a full day in Belize.

Thank you!:)

OK, this is our first cruise...we are going to Roatan, Guatemala, Belize, and Cozumel January 2008.

We are novice snorkelers but absolutely fell in love with it during our trip to Hawaii in 2005.

We plan to snorkel in Cozumel (not sure where yet). We aren't sure whether to snorkel in Belize or Roatan, since we also want to do a zipline, and that is offered at both locations as well. So I am asking for opinions - which is the best place to snorkel - Belize or Roatan? (and any specific places at those locations that are recommended would be most appreciated)

Note that we only have from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Roatan, but we have a full day in Belize.

They're both great. For convenience I booked thru the ship at Belize.

Strongly recommend Anthony's Key Resort at Roatan. If their schedule doesn't fit yours, Roatan also has first rate shore snorkeling.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/

Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel are three very good places to snorkel. In Cozumel there is a park with good snorkeling not far from the cruiseport called Chankanaab. I'm not sure how it is after the last hurricane, but you might try it. My favorite spot in Cozumel is Palancar reef, but the water is deep and its not for beginners. Roatan is a very interesting place. I snorkeled there twice. I've been trying to get to a spot there that I've heard is very good. Its at the end of Tabyana beach. Reports are that most everyone likes the snorkeling there. Belize might be the most difficult place to find a snorkel spot. There are lots of islands offshore (way offshore) but you need a boat to get to them. Some of them have good snorkeling. Some don't. It is probably best to take one of the snorkel trips offered by the cruiseline since you don't want to go to the mainland. I snorkeled at Shark-Ray alley and it was good but it was about 40 mile boat ride from the ship. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Chankanaab in Cozumel last spring was wonderful.

Just a short taxi ride...and snorkeling was great.We walked to the upper end of the beach and let the current carry us to the bottom end..rested and repeated.

Our kind of day!:D

I have a few photos you can check out.

http://family.webshots.com/album/558391502gCXSAk?start=60

(Look at the last 4 pages..my underwater Cozumel photos are not where they should have been posted.:o )

can't help you out with belize but roatan was FABULOUS right from shore.. off of tabayana beach... easy access and incredible reef... we were just there over thanksgiving and loved it!!... you can take a cab to fosters beach and pay 5.00 for a chaise to use and get a drink included.. then walk down towards tabyana for the snorkeling.. a short walk on nice firm sand.. also a place closer to the snorkeling is bananarama and you can also rent a chaise, there ... the beach is gorgeous... if tabayana isn't being used for a ship's excursion you can also rent one of their chaise lounges.. even if its used for a ship's excursion that day you can still access the water there for the snorkeling which is incredible!!! also the mayan princess has day passes for 10.00 and its a beautiful resort with gorgeous pool area, restaurant, etc.

We thought the snorkeling in Roatan was spectacular! We took the Princess excursion and they used Anthony's Key. It was very well run and not crowded at all. The coral is very shallow, so you can see a lot.

We've also snorkeled in Belize. I second what Steve (Hi Steve!) said about using a ship's tour for convenience. Cruise ships have to anchor pretty far out in Belize, and the tours pick you up at the ship. We've had nice trips in Belize, but I thought the snorkeling in Roatan and Cozumel was more stunning. If you're trying to decide between the two, I would definitely snorkel in Roatan and do a zip line in Belize.

Finally, Palancar Reef in Cozumel is outstanding! We did this excursion two years in a row. It is a deep water drift snorkel. If you have some experience snorkeling and you're a decent swimmer you shouldn't have a problem with it. If you do this, I recommend using a private operator. The first year we did the ship's excursion it was great because it was on a small boat with a small group. Last year they crammed us on a huge party boat and I spent the trip getting battered by other snorkeler's fins.:mad:

Here are a few pictures of the snorkeling locations:

Roatan

2077608970064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2360098130064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Belize

2760822680064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Cozumel

2319114420064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

DH and I stayed on Ambergris Caye a few years ago and snorkeled 2 days on separate excursions we booked with tour operators on the beach. Both days were terrific, especially Mexico Rocks. Belize has 2nd longest barrier reef in the world and the coral there is amazing. Enjoy... Claire

• 2 weeks later...

I preferred the snorkelling in Roatan last December. There was beautiful coral that looked like blooming flowers very close to shore. OUr excursion in Belize to Goff's Caye was disappointing as it wasn't very calm and was difficult for not strong swimmers. Although the water was beautiful. Hope that helps you. Also the beach in Roatan was lovely as were the people.

Archived