Galveston - parking lot or hotel with free parking?

brobrosmom

Which is better: pay for parking near the cruise terminal or leave vehical at hotel with free parking?

We will have a long drive home on Sunday. My fear is that it will take us much longer to get to our vehical and on the road if we leave it at the hotel.

Any advice?

Which is better: pay for parking near the cruise terminal or leave vehical at hotel with free parking?

We will have a long drive home on Sunday. My fear is that it will take us much longer to get to our vehical and on the road if we leave it at the hotel.

Any advice?

I guess it depends on the hotel. I stayed at the Harbor House the night before my cruise and parked there during the cruise. It's a very short walk from the terminal to the hotel. I was back with the car to pick up Mom and the bags while everyone else was waiting for transportation. I estimate that I was back with the car approx 10-15 minutes after we cleared customs.

We stayed at America's best value inn, was 10 minutes from terminal. When we got off ship, took a cab back to hotel and left. Pretty easy and would do it again. Never did the parking near the terminal but I did see plenty of cars in it as we passed by.

carrolldf - We decided to stay at the Harbor House and booked our room this morning. The price was a little more than I wanted to spend for one night but I figured it was worth it to be so close to the terminal and to downtown. Thanks!

We have done both, and find that we get to our car and on the road quicker when we are picked up by the hotel shuttle and dropped off at our car. When parked at the pier you get caught up in all the traffic there. At the hotel parking lot we weren't blocked in. Also, on our last cruise, the ship arrival was delayed due to bad weather. We stayed in our comfortable hotel room, while others who were arriving at the pier had no where to park due to the lots still full with previous cruisers cars. Traffic was a mess and the poor people were stressed. We paid approx. 87.00 for the Hilton and they provided free parking and free shuttle. We were back in our car 15 minutes after leaving the port.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the beach and we never did get a shuttle back to the hotel. I called as soon as we disembarked and the driver told me he was on the way, 30 minutes later I called again and he said that he was full and I would have to wait on another shuttle. 20 minutes later I flagged a taxi back to the hotel. If you dont wanna risk not getting out of there in a reasonable time Id do the parking. There are only so many shuttles available for a ton of people.

Any advice?

We have sailed out of Galveston 6 times and each time we have parked at the pier parking. I cannot comment on hotel shuttles. We always do self assist and there are always plenty of shuttles (at least 3) when we disembark. We are at our car and on our way in minutes. I always reserve our parking online and save $5 in doing so. This has always worked out best for us. Travelgirl

Archived