Where does NCL Spirit dock for the May 11, 2008 sailing out of NY?

csaeroach

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am on the May 11, 2008 sailing out of NY on NCL Spirit. Where is this ship docked? I am looking at booking my hotels, but would like something very close to the dock. I have been searching for the address of the peir area, but not having much luck as everyone I read has a difference address.... can someone please help me!

Does anyone know of any 3* hotels in this area?

Also we get off the ship on May 17th, and we did not book our flights until May 19th. Does anyone know of any hotel that would be a reasonable price that is walking distance and a short cab ride to Time Square, Ground Zero, Central Park, Empire State Building - Rockefeller Center and St Patrick’s Cathedral?

thanks!

Several of the attractions that you mention are quite close together (Rockefeller Center and St. Patricks) with others a little bit further off (Empire State Building and Times Square) and Ground Zero is no where near.

However, geographically Manhattan is a very small island. Get the best hotel for your price range (sounds like you want to be near midtown) and the price difference will more than make up taxi/subway/bus costs.

The pier is in the west 50's off twelfth avenue--again you do not need to be near as it will be a short cab ride from anywhere you stay.

I think NYers are the worst to ask about hotels because we don't really need to stay in them.

NCL uses the main/old/only NYC piers on the west side of Manhattan. There are other dockings in Brooklyn and NJ used by other ships. There are a ton of hotels in NY, and as you may have already found, the pricing is high. Bargains come up once in awhile. A good site that sends out information is travelzoo.com with deals from time to time.

You might want to vist the PORTS OF CALL area to get more feedback on NYC. Also, the city and the state both have great web sites with attractions, maps, events etc.

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am on the May 11, 2008 sailing out of NY on NCL Spirit. Where is this ship docked? I am looking at booking my hotels, but would like something very close to the dock. I have been searching for the address of the peir area, but not having much luck as everyone I read has a difference address.... can someone please help me!

Does anyone know of any 3* hotels in this area?

Also we get off the ship on May 17th, and we did not book our flights until May 19th. Does anyone know of any hotel that would be a reasonable price that is walking distance and a short cab ride to Time Square, Ground Zero, Central Park, Empire State Building - Rockefeller Center and St Patrick’s Cathedral?

thanks!

You might also consider a hotel in NJ in Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken or near Newark Airport. All three of those cities have public transportion available that goes right into midtown Manhattan (Newark has Amtrak & NJ Transit trains, Hoboken & Jersey City have PATH trains).

Gary is absolutely correct re: hotel prices right now in NYC. They are VERY high! Fortunetely your dates are not on or near a major holiday so you may be able to score a bargain in Manhattan istelf.

Good luck!

Tom & Eileen

Here are a couple of links that may be helpful:

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/

http://www.nycruise.com/terminal.html

(you need to select Manhattan Terminal)

Prior to our recent Dawn cruise we stayed at the Hotel Beacon (Broadway near 75th Street) - easy to catch the bus along Broadway (I think subway not far off either, we did not use it). All rooms have a small kitchenette and there is a great supermarket across the road :) Cab fare to the pier was less than 10 dollars from memory.

Thanks to everyone who posted. Greatly appreciated. We decided to stay out at Newark Airport as we are flying in and out of here, and we were able to get a hotel on Priceline for $55 per night, so we are very happy! Works out great for us when buying three nights hotel. We feel we did very well, as downtown is $200+ per night, and this does not seem like it is going to be to fart away. An hour or two to get downtown is fine with us.

thanks again

Shelley

Thanks to everyone who posted. Greatly appreciated. We decided to stay out at Newark Airport as we are flying in and out of here, and we were able to get a hotel on Priceline for $55 per night, so we are very happy! Works out great for us when buying three nights hotel. We feel we did very well, as downtown is $200+ per night, and this does not seem like it is going to be to fart away. An hour or two to get downtown is fine with us.

thanks again

Shelley

Shelley,

If your hotel has a shuttle to Newark Airport (most do, some don't) here's how you can get to midtown Manhattan cheaper than taking a cab:

1) Take your hotel's shuttle to any of the terminals (A, B or C). Look for the AirTrain monorail.

2) The AirTrain monorail runs between the three parking lots, the three terminals AND the RailLink Train Station. Take the AirTrain monorail to the RailLink Train Station. When you get there you can buy a train ticket (NJ Transit) to Penn Station, New York (NOT Penn Station, Newark!!). Penn Station in NYC is located between 33rd & 32nd Streets on Seventh Avenue; close to Times Square, Macy's, etc.

Here's a link to info on AirTrain:

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

Have a great cruise!

Tom & Eileen

thanks again

Shelley

Shelley,

If your hotel has a shuttle to Newark Airport (most do, some don't) here's how you can get to midtown Manhattan cheaper than taking a cab:

1) Take your hotel's shuttle to any of the terminals (A, B or C). Look for the AirTrain monorail.

2) The AirTrain monorail runs between the three parking lots, the three terminals AND the RailLink Train Station. Take the AirTrain monorail to the RailLink Train Station. When you get there you can buy a train ticket (NJ Transit) to Penn Station, New York (NOT Penn Station, Newark!!). Penn Station in NYC is located between 33rd & 32nd Streets on Seventh Avenue; close to Times Square, Macy's, etc.

Here's a link to info on AirTrain:

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark/

Have a great cruise!

Tom & Eileen

Thanks so much for these instructions! I am going to print that off and take with me. I do not know the area at all, and we have no idea where anything is, so this is going to be a learning experience for both of us..... your help is greatly appreciated. This is wonderful!

Shelley

Archived