Just what to wear..........?

fenreed

Would one get away with shorts and a t-shirt?

Pete - I think you'd probably get away with shorts as long as they weren't too short! (although the brochure does say they are not permitted). I think I have worn shorts in the QE2's Mauretania at breakfast but it was both a long time ago and then was not that often. I don't think I would wear shorts in the restaurant on our next trips though. I suspect a lot will depend on your level of self confidence - If you have the attitude of take me as you find me you'll probably be OK; if you go into the restaurant worrying that there could be trouble you'll not enjoy the meal.:)

Pete - I think you'd probably get away with shorts as long as they weren't too short! (although the brochure does say they are not permitted). I think I have worn shorts in the QE2's Mauretania at breakfast but it was both a long time ago and then was not that often. I don't think I would wear shorts in the restaurant on our next trips though. I suspect a lot will depend on your level of self confidence - If you have the attitude of take me as you find me you'll probably be OK; if you go into the restaurant worrying that there could be trouble you'll not enjoy the meal.:)

Last summer, on both sexes, there were regularly shorts at breakfast in QG on QE2. How good an idea this was depends on the quality of the legs concerned.:) Jane

OK, Would one get away with shorts and a t-shirt?

Pete

Pete, I am a bit confused with the concept of "Getting away with wearing shorts and a "t" shirt". Obviously if you need to use that phrase you already know that such attire may not be the best and may reflect poorly on you. However as malcolm stated, if you either do not care about keeping up the general level of ambiance or are supurbly confident that you look marvelous in such attire then I doubt anyone will attempt to stop you. Although there are known to be a few assistant Maitre d's looking to move up in the ranks who just might enforce the code to the letter and you will find yourself either headed back to your cabin for a make over or to the lido for a fine buffet breakfast.

loads were wearing shorts and t shirts at breakfast in Britannia on our QM2 Caribbean cruise, in fact i would say that the dress code was not stictly enforced to the letter on most nights,remember it is a holiday, relax and enjoy and dont be hung up on dress codes.

Thanks folks, that's a good assortment of answers for me then! I'll just have to wait and see I reckon. Just for the record I've no varicose veins yet, but I'm pretty hairy. I personally think my legs would not look amiss under the odd baby grand piano though!

Pete

I feel that if you don't want to have to consider dress codes then you're on the wrong line!:) (That's got me wondering: are there any ships that operate a nudist policy?:D )

Malcolm, if you really want to know the answer to that, go to the CC message board section called "Theme Cruises". And please report back what you find out. ;)

Malcolm, if you really want to know the answer to that, go to the CC message board section called "Theme Cruises". And please report back what you find out. ;)

I've had a quick look at the "Theme Cruises" board. There isn't much to report other than that board is fairly quiet. There's a thread with three posts about some boats having adult only sun decks where nudity is permitted (but the author hadn't been on the boat so he couldn't say for sure); there's another saying that a nudist charter to Alaska might be a bit cold; and that's it.:(

I've had a quick look at the "Theme Cruises" board. There isn't much to report other than that board is fairly quiet. There's a thread with three posts about some boats having adult only sun decks where nudity is permitted (but the author hadn't been on the boat so he couldn't say for sure); there's another saying that a nudist charter to Alaska might be a bit cold; and that's it.:(

Here, maybe this one will help, unless I've got my "themes" mixed up!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=245389

Are you packed yet?????

OK, we are well clued up on lunch/dinner dress rules, but what is 'acceptable' for QV Britannia Restuarant for breakfast only? Would one get away with shorts and a t-shirt?

Pete

icon1.gifWow, I read these posts about "wardrobe" I'm into the basics!

The most important thing is to be comfortable and have a good time! To much thought goes into "what to wear". Be comfortable, happy, dress appropriate for you size. I'm just plain fat , so I never were shorts! I'm just more comfortable in long slacks also easier on others eyes! Bathing suit I cover the middle!

If you wear what you are comfortable in and confident in you will look fine!

My entire wardrobe must fit into a carry on! We travel by train and you have to be able to handle your own luggage! We are older and not able to lift the 50 lb. luggage.

One long black formal dress that will work four different ways.[2 with jacket two without jacket] [one black and white version]

One blue tea length cocktail dress [wear twice as semiformal to much glitz to go informal] [also with jacket]

One black tea length cocktail dress [wear three ways as a semiformal]

Same black tea length as a casual dress [without it's glitz, wear three ways as informal]

One black simple dress can be semiformal or informal. Also for daytime wear with large bright jewlery. and sandals. Also a great pirate version!

All above dresses very thin travel material fold into tiny package. I will only have these dresses on from 6pm to 11:30pm every day.

Two pair of dressy shoes go with all above dresses.

Ten thin cotton tops mix and match with ten pair thin cotton travel slacks. [fold into another tiny package] [I'm too fat for shorts or a sundress!] These tops and pants are not "t-shirts" but rather nice assorted tops with matching long slacks. They are fine also for daytime dining!

I will wear my big hiking shoes and pack three pair of sandals.

Three bathing suits [one cover up]

All above go into the carry on.

The rest go into my makeup case [sleepwear, underwear, stockings, jewlery etc]

I will carry a small purse that fits into the makeup case when traveling. I will wear a winter coat with one simple sweater.

My husbands luggage will also be very limited.

I feel that if you don't want to have to consider dress codes then you're on the wrong line!:) (That's got me wondering: are there any ships that operate a nudist policy?:D )

At no time did i say that the dress code should not be considered and i agree that one is necessary, all I said is dont get hung up on it. Not quite sure what you mean about been on the wrong line, i find that comment quite rude!

Not quite sure what you mean about been on the wrong line, i find that comment quite rude!

Sorry if you find it rude but I meant what I said - Cunard is not the line to travel with if you don't want to have to consider the dress code. There are lines where it is equally permissible to wear cut-offs or a dinner jacket to dinner on the same night (or at the same time:D ); if someone doesn't want to have to consider a dress code that would be about as loose a code as it can get:)

I'm very curious! I followed this thread last night and read the first three pages. They weren't very interesting so I gave up. I've just come back across Sharon's reply and thought I'd give the thread another go. It's been deleted:eek: Why?:confused: What juicy details did I miss out on?:rolleyes:

I'm very curious! I followed this thread last night and read the first three pages. They weren't very interesting so I gave up. I've just come back across Sharon's reply and thought I'd give the thread another go. It's been deleted:eek: Why?:confused: What juicy details did I miss out on?:rolleyes:

OOOH Malcolm, when you go further into the site you find that they are SWINGERS!!!!!!! OMG. I had to leave it incase a 'mole' could see what I was reading! They were VERY open!

I do hope the cats & dogs haven't seen the thread:eek: :eek: :eek:

I need a strong drink now!

Sharon

Oh dear,

If it's been deleted, some people are going to be angry with us for noticing it and bringing attention to it! I sure hope Sharon keeps mums the word....

And you, have you started packing yet?

Was this the one (from some time ago) where folks were bitching about people making kissy-face in the nightclub after midnight and the kids might see them> (What in HELL are kids doing in the nightclub after midnight?) There was also something about people getting pretty "cozy" when they had some club or another as a private function, which means if someone walked in, then they were "trespassing" on the private function.

I think the thread was something to do with Do you know what groups may be booked on your cruise?

I have friend who are nudists. they have done nude cruises.

I'd like to have the sunblock concession on this one!

What does one wear on formal night?

JUST the bow tie (manually-tied, of course!)

BTW, speaking of Bow ties. And learning how to tie them.

Here is a little instruction video. There are links to several more, though I didn't watch any of them:

Other than Paul, now none of you gents has an excuse for wearing a nice easy pull the strap around the collar and clip it under the bow type. Nope! You have to struggle frustrated with it for hours! Then you finally miss dinner because you don't like the way it looks, or one end looks bigger than the other or it doesn't lay flat!

Now I understand why Matthew is so fired up about single seating dining. It's the extra time for tying that infernal bow tie! <LOL>

KP

You have to struggle frustrated with it for hours! Then you finally miss dinner because you don't like the way it looks, or one end looks bigger than the other or it doesn't lay flat!

Now I understand why Matthew is so fired up about single seating dining. It's the extra time for tying that infernal bow tie! <LOL>

KP

Nonsense. It takes a matter of moments.

Matthew

Other than Paul, now none of you gents has an excuse for wearing a nice easy pull the strap around the collar and clip it under the bow type. Nope! You have to struggle frustrated with it for hours! Then you finally miss dinner because you don't like the way it looks, or one end looks bigger than the other or it doesn't lay flat!

Karie - that is exactly why I intend to stick with my pre-tied tie:)

Archived