fort questions

mprucha

Hi,

My DH and I will be in San Juan in May. This will be our second visit to San Juan. The first time we walked the area enjoying the streets, shops etc and we went to Senor Frogs.

This time we want to do different things. We want to go to either 1 or both forts. I see where some people say you can walk there. How far is it to one or both forts by walking??

We walk to El Morro Fort in about 20 - 30 minutes. The return walk is faster because it is downhill. We took kites with us and had a great time on the grounds around the fort - no power lines, excellent sea breezes and ocean all around us. We took extra string and had one kite up over 600 feet! Pics in our link below.

Can't wait till we get back to San Juan next December to do it again.

Kathy:)

If you dock at the OSJ piers San Cristobel fort is the closest - strainght uphill from the ships.

Fom the Pan Am pier you will need a taxi (which will be a fixed price).

Both forts are within walking distance of each other and the rest that OSJ has to offer.

Don't forget to take a stroll along the Paseo la Princesa (especially in the late afternoon / early evening.

Check out my google map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109676946526690112244.000438760505ef5dbf8dd&ll=18.467785,-66.111093&spn=0.015264,0.028582&z=15&om=1

It will give you an idea of where things are

Enjoy

Walked to El Morro in less than 15 minutes - did not slow down to window shop and we are both in pretty good shape. Uphill almost all the way so your physical shape will have a big influence on the time it takes.

PS We loved the fort! There is an interesting short film they show in an air-conditioned room which helps you cool down after the uphill hike.

Hi again Anne. :D

My husband and I took a cab up to El Morro. It cost $11 for the two of us plus a tip. You can walk it but it's all uphill and as you know it's so hot there. We did walk back to the ship though. Downhill is so much easier. :p Also, if you are looking for nice restaurants we went to Cafe Bohemio located in the El Convento Hotel. http://www.elconvento.com The food and service were very good and it wasn't a touristy type place. Also, the Parrot Club is very nice. We just had drinks there but I did look at their menu and it looked very nice as well. Here is the website for them. http://www.parrotclub.com/ There are also a couple other restaurants owned by the same company called Aquaviva and Dragonfly that I read are very good as well.

Archived