Frustrations with renting a car in Hawaii

pandabebe

Again-I want to say thanks (and for the review also-sounds fantastic). The info you've provided is making us think again about Kona. My better half & I are now thinking of cancelling the car and just winging it there. By the time we get off the ship, check out the car & start back to return the car (sounds like that needs to be around 1:30 in order to catch the 3:30 shuttle) we really won't have much time with the car anyhow!

-Monte

Again-I want to say thanks (and for the review also-sounds fantastic). The info you've provided is making us think again about Kona. My better half & I are now thinking of cancelling the car and just winging it there. By the time we get off the ship, check out the car & start back to return the car (sounds like that needs to be around 1:30 in order to catch the 3:30 shuttle) we really won't have much time with the car anyhow!

-Monte

This would be very unfortunate. Kona is such a gorgeous area. I did talk to the Hertz shuttle driver in Kona. He said no one who rented with Hertz had missed the ship yet. A lot of people returned the car at 4:30pm and were able to get to the pier in time. The ship sails at 5:30pm. The driver informed me many pax wanted him to drive on the shoulder or try to go faster. The driver of course refused as he would lose his job if he did this. We got the 3:30pm shuttle. One thing that did save us time is not filling up the car on return, we had Hertz do it. It is more expensive but it gave us extra time.

Good Luck with what ever you choose to do. Have a great trip. I wish I was going again. :D

Archived