New cruiser worries

TSJE4

HI there . (New to this so i apologise if i stuff up) . My husband , myself and our two children 6 and 8 as well as another family are off sailing the Pacific Dawn in August 2008. The P& 0 brochure shows lots of activities, fun and service. The travel agents all said to go on Dawn , instead of Sun. The only difference thay all told me was that Sun had a waterslide and that Dawn was bigger and newer equipt. I am worried now that i have read reviews and comments that the activities and entertainment was limited , and things that you would normally expect on a cruise like deck BBq's and captains parties etc were non excistant. Have i have made the wrong decision?

We all have never cruised before and only are going off what i see in the brochures.

Can any one who has travelled with primary aged children on the Dawn give me reassurance that the children will be well entertained and us adults not bored . As well as acivities to do together as a family.

I realise that maiden voyages will have hiccups and only hope by August P&0 will have the wonderful reviews that the Sun has for a family holiday.

Hi TJSE4,

Welcome to CC!!

I went on quite a few cruises as a child (I was lucky enough to have a dad as a t/a) and I can tell you I think that the kids clubs on both Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn would be better than what I remember on Fairstar, Fairsky and Oriana. Of course, things have changed in 25+ years! :D Don't make an opinion based solely on what the brochures say. Go onboard with an open mind, knowing you will have heaps of fun, as will your children. As there is still 8 months until you sail on Pacific Dawn try to read as many reviews as you can, visit the roll call thread for Pacific Dawn and see if there are any posters sailing on her before you go!! Hopefully, there may be some people with young children who can give you some tips when they return.

Sarah

I am sure that the Dawn would have just as many activities as the Sun and you wouldn't get bored. The slide on the Sun is great for the kids but not the be and end all of a cruise, also there is a size restriction so your kids may not be able to use it. I can't remember the rules.

As you can see I have sailed on 3 P&O ships and my daughter and friends have enjoyed all the cruises.

The captains party that was missing isn't that exciting either. It is only a free drink and a few speeches introducing the staff.

Yes go on P/D with an open mind. Our cabin on P/D just a few weeks ago

was near one of the kids clubs each time we walked past it the kids were having the times of thier lives. I'm sure families with kids will tell you (well I'd say the majority)thier kids had fun. The pools were great for the kids and adults too.

hi- welcome!

don't fret! I think you will have a ball on any ship you choose!

Slide is great but you can't use that pool for a "swim" or dip if it's being used by kids on the slide....so it was fun for awhile. Plus it was only open two days of our whole cruise as the conditions must be very stable for that pool/slide to be in use.

And I can tell you that the captains party is...well....let's just say most people don't write it into their review!:D It was ok but not a highlight!

I haven't been on the Dawn...but I can't imagine that there isn't a huge difference in the kids activities.

My kids had so much fun in kids club...but on our second cruise they only went to the clubs twice...there is so much to see and do onbaord...so much to explore! so much food to eat! so many new friends to make! so many of the suns rays to catch!

I wish you all a wonderful time!

Hi TSJE4!

We haven't cruised on the Pacific Dawn, but took our two children (then 6 & 9) on the Pacific Star earlier this year.

Our 6 year old lived in the kids club! She had a great time and made plenty of friends.

The 9 year old had 'privilege' and was able to sign himself in and out of Shark Shack. He very quickly found his way around the ship - and we set up rules for him. He always knew where we were planning to be and if for any reason he couldn't find us he was to return to either Shark Shack or our cabin.

We set up times we would collect/meet them both to go to lunch or other activities.

There was certainly plenty for them both to day.

The Kids Clubs do a talent show on the last sea day --- which was great! So there was practice for that (great if you enjoy performing ... which both of ours do!) Our dinner companions (another family with two twin teenage girls) came and watched the talent show too as they had gotten to know the kids quite well during the cruise.

Apart from that there's plenty of craft, games, scavenger hunts, play station, and organised activities to keep them occupied!:D

I think the Dawn will be similar - and I'm sure they'll have a great time. It's definately worth them going to the Turtle Cove/Shark Shack early to register and to meet the other kids that are registered (more of a chance to see who's there their own age and make friends ... this makes all the difference!)

Anyway .. enough rambling - hope you have a great cruise - don't worry about the kids - they'll be fine!:D

Thanks guys .:) I know i do fret ( i'm a pisces , shockers for worring):o I guess also because i talked the other family in to coming with us , so i'd hate them to be disappionted. I will keep an eye out for roll calls as suggested and yes go with an open mind . Thanks ( what a great website):) SJ

Hi TJSE4,

Welcome to CC!!

I went on quite a few cruises as a child (I was lucky enough to have a dad as a t/a) and I can tell you I think that the kids clubs on both Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn would be better than what I remember on Fairstar, Fairsky and Oriana. Of course, things have changed in 25+ years! :D Don't make an opinion based solely on what the brochures say. Go onboard with an open mind, knowing you will have heaps of fun, as will your children. As there is still 8 months until you sail on Pacific Dawn try to read as many reviews as you can, visit the roll call thread for Pacific Dawn and see if there are any posters sailing on her before you go!! Hopefully, there may be some people with young children who can give you some tips when they return.

Sarah

Thanks will definatly do that . ta

Thank you for the reply. Hoping that the Dawn will be like the star Sounds like your children had fun. i am a born worrier, i know . Just new to this stuff . I will keep an eye for more reviews. What a graet website . Have a great day

TSJE4, just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as I have cruised on the Sun and the Dawn with kids. On our Sun cruise they were 15, 11 & 10 and our Dawn cruise 16,13 & 11. They had a ball on both cruises. I asked my kids when we were on the Dawn and since we got back which they prefered. 11 & 16 yo (both boys) said that the facilities on the Dawn were way better than on the Sun (& certainly looked it). My 11 yo did say that the staff were better on the Sun but of course all that depends on who is on the ship at the time you cruise. Was a bit of a hard question for my daughter as she was in shark shack on the Sun & teen club on the Dawn and both are very different of course. My kids spent heaps of time in there on both cruises.

Karen

Thank you for the reply. Hoping that the Dawn will be like the star Sounds like your children had fun. i am a born worrier, i know . Just new to this stuff . I will keep an eye for more reviews. What a graet website . Have a great day

You are not a born worrier you are a mum and that is your job to worry.:D

being the organiser for another family you may feel a bit responsible for the other family's enjoyment, Don't .

reading some of the reviews from the same cruise from different people, you sometimes have to say "where they on the same cruise?"

different people have different expectations and some just go with the flow and have a good time no matter what.

I am sure you will all have a great time on ypour cruise, kids included

Archived