Which side of the ship?

mefck

My fiance and are getting married in July 2008 and will probably book an Alaskan cruise on the Island Princess from Whittier to Anchorage for our honeymoon.

We will probably book a balcony or mini-suite.

My question is, which side of the ship is best for viewing the glaciers, etc from the balcony?

Thanks!

My fiance and are getting married in July 2008 and will probably book an Alaskan cruise on the Island Princess from Whittier to Anchorage for our honeymoon.

We will probably book a balcony or mini-suite.

My question is, which side of the ship is best for viewing the glaciers, etc from the balcony?

Thanks!

You'll be able to see the glaciers from either side since the ship goes in, turns around and heads on out. That said, it's generally held that for the southbound itineraries, the port side is best.

As implied, it really depends on the cruise itinerary. In addition, my wife and I usually consider what sun exposure we want on the balcony. For example, particularly if it's a one-way cruise - do you prefer to see the sunrise or the sunset from your window or balcony?

H & N

As implied, it really depends on the cruise itinerary. In addition, my wife and I usually consider what sun exposure we want on the balcony. For example, particularly if it's a one-way cruise - do you prefer to see the sunrise or the sunset from your window or balcony?
On an Alaska one-way itinerary, the scenery is more of a factor than sun on the balcony and the perception is that the land side (port going south) is preferable. I personally think this is just perception since the ship turns at the glaciers and for most of the scenery, the ship is cruising an inland passage. I had a balcony (port side) on my Alaska cruise and even in early August, it was too cold to sit out there for long.

The Island will be sailing Vancouver to Whitter .....and..... Whitter to Vancouver. It doesn't go to Anchorage.

Did you mean Whitter to Vancouver :confused:

Going south I would think given the Glacier cruising and Inside passage are a tossup, for the rest of the trip.... to be able to see land I would go with port. If you want to see sunsets you will want a western vantage point so should be on the starboard.

If instead you are going north then pick the opposites from above. ;)

We cruised the Coral northbound from Vancouver in July. We chose the port ("oceanside") Carib balcony cabin so we would get the most warmth from any afternoon sun, and enjoy those late late sunsets, and LOVED it. A large part of the cruise you're sailing through passages so you have land on both sides. When you get to the glaciers, the captain spins the ship so you have a great view wherever you are. One tip - keep the curtains open - particularly the first night out of Vancouver. Around 1 - 2 AM you sail through some fierce narrows and see the mountains silhouetted almost close enough to touch (yup, even on the port side). Very exciting and romantic. Congratulations on your marriage - you'll love whatever cabin you get.

port side is better for glacier bay and college fiord...the naturalist's narration takes place on the way in, when the better viewing is from the port side. Otherwise, you will have equal scenery and wildlife observation possibilities for much of the rest of the cruise. there are a few times when land will not be visible from the starboard side on SB cruises, but not as often as you would think.

Archived