Cartagena; Just Back

Pevil4

Is there a tour that would give chocolate or coffee highlights. Luckily, for my husband I don't plan on buying emeralds. But, would enjoy a tour of plantations etc.

We don't need a plan to buy emeralds for our wives, we just do it....

They might have an emerald stand at the plantation. Everyone else sells them!:D

Is there a tour that would give chocolate or coffee highlights. Luckily, for my husband I don't plan on buying emeralds. But, would enjoy a tour of plantations etc.

There probably not be a tour with specific coffee and chocolate highlights. Guides WILL know general coffee production information, and coffee growing areas. For chocolate be on the lookout for "SANTANDER" brand chocolate. It is produced by Chocolates de Colombia and available in 65% and 70% cacao options, among others. It is available at "Coffee And" at the Pierino Gallo center, if your tour takes you there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

His email is leland@misteremerald.com. We used him a couple weeks ago when we were there. The driver was good, the guide was very knowledgeable and spoke very good english. Lunch was delicious. His vans pick you up right at the gang plank. This was our first visit to Cartagena so I can't compare his tour to anyone else's, all I can say is all eight of us enjoyed the day & recommend his company.

Just a note to all of those folks who have a bit of fear about Columbia. I just got back from spending some time in Bogota, security everywhere, safe, stay in good areas, use common sense. They are proactive there, not like us that are reactive. The Cartagena is quite safe. Taxis there use meters, go ouside of the cruise area, pick one up, about one tenth the cost of what we pay. Yellow cabs only. Facts from the World Crime Rates web page, per capita USA is in 12th place, Columbia 53rd place. Coffee, buy Juan Valdez, or Sello Rojo. Juan Valdez Cafe's are like our Starbucks here, they also sell bags of ground or bean coffee. Exito is like our Target stores, cheaper prices for coffee etc, credit cards ok at both places. Juan Valdez coffee price for bagged coffee about 8000 pesos 1 pound (half kilo), about $3.20.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone mentions taxi's being a 10 minute ride. Does not sound from the cruise ship to the walled old city? Has anyone walked it? Or is it felt to not be safe to do so? We just want to walk around in the city, and don't want to get stuck with an island tour or a driver who sticks with you once you get there.

We thought of just being dropped off at the walled city. But, hired the cab for the day. The $40.00 was worth it. Sometimes the driver walked with us and pointed out things we would not have seen. For example a funny story, the driver was walking with us and pointed to his watch. And said, "Rolex". We said no we don't want a Rolex. He then pointed to the side of a building showing us a sun dial. We enjoyed the drive around he took us where ever we asked him to. Including the grocery store. He thought it to be a little odd but, we like to look at local products. We bought local beer, coffee and bottled waters at most of our ports.

Archived