Anyone Doing GalactiCruise Next September?

kryos

Just curious if there are any Battlestar Galactia fans on this board?

Richard Hatch has done several cruises in the past, but those have been pretty much his own thing. He gives motivational talks and stuff like that while onboard.

This is something different though. It's a fan's reunion cruise for the 30-year Anniversary of the original show. It's a four-day cruise on the Carnival Paradise leaving Los Angeles on September 15. It will visit Catalina Island and Ensenada, and have one full day at sea before returning to Los Angeles. Note that the Carnival Paradise is NO LONGER a smoke-free ship.

Lots of the show's principals will be onboard (Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, Sarah Rush, etc. ... and even composer, Stu Phillips ... the guy who provided the awesome musical scores for the TV show. I've talked to the guy running this (one of the fan club officers) and he said lots of neat events are being planned, including possibly some optional shore excursions with your Battlestar Galactia favorites. The shipboard photographers will also be available to take pictures with your favorite character and you can have them autographed. I'm sure there is an extra cost for this though.

Part of the proceeds for the cruise are going to the Autism Treatment Center of Texas.

I'm a Battlestar Galactia fan from way back. I remember watching this show when I was in my early 20s. So, while I normally don't go in for short cruises, I've decided to break with tradition and book this one.

Anyone else joining me.

There is a website for the cruise, but you'll have to google for it. CC rules prohibit me linking to it here.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 3 weeks later...

kyros, Yep watched the original BG! Had come on this board looking for Dr. Who cruise and surprised to see your note on this cruise. While probably wouldn't be able to go, am wondering if one of my relatives will be on it. He was actually the Art Director on this show!

kyros, Yep watched the original BG! Had come on this board looking for Dr. Who cruise and surprised to see your note on this cruise. While probably wouldn't be able to go, am wondering if one of my relatives will be on it. He was actually the Art Director on this show!

Do a google search on GalactiCruise ... they list on this fan club website who is so far confirmed on the sailing. And, they are still getting people confirmed ... so they might very well wind up with all the living cast members onboard, as well as behind the scenes people like your relative.

The cruise is actually very cheap ... I think I paid something like $500 for an inside cabin, and that's as a single. Then there's an added $200 convention fee which pays for all the special events.

I've already booked and paid for this. I'm attaching it onto a 35-day Holland America cruise going out of Van Couver the day after this one returns.

Why not join in the fun?

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, DH is a HUGE fan of the original series (me too) and we've been to a couple Battlestar Galactica conventions and we just found out about this cruise. I've already booked it and I can't wait! (only 231 days, but whose counting). We have a 7 night Mexican Riveria cruise 2 months before this one and we usually only cruise once a year if we are lucky, but I couldn't resist. This will be our first Carnival cruise and our first theme cruise.

Kerrie:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, DH is a HUGE fan of the original series (me too) and we've been to a couple Battlestar Galactica conventions and we just found out about this cruise. I've already booked it and I can't wait! (only 231 days, but whose counting). We have a 7 night Mexican Riveria cruise 2 months before this one and we usually only cruise once a year if we are lucky, but I couldn't resist. This will be our first Carnival cruise and our first theme cruise.

Hi, Kerrie! I'll look forward to meeting both you and your DH onboard! Don't feel bad about scheduling two cruises this year ... you should see what I did! :)

I'm doing GalactiCruise on the 15th. When we disembark on the 19th, I'm flying to Vancouver to catch Holland America's Statendam on the 20th ... for a 35-day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific! I don't return from that until October 20th, when I fly home from San Diego and probably go straight to work from the airport, because I won't have any vacation time left to take that night off! :)

I'm spending a bundle on cruising this year, but I figure I'll tighten the belt in future years. These are just once-in-a-lifetime experiences I don't want to miss.

I'm wondering if the Galactica folks will be planning anything for the night before the cruise. I'm still trying to figure out whether to fly out to LA very early on the morning of the 15th, or to come in a day early. Vacation time is a serious issue.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Currently there are 40 cabins booked and folks from 9 different countries. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

I wonder if they're gonna bring along any of the sets from the show? I do know that they are gonna sell photos with the cast, some of the proceeds from which will go to the Texas Autisim Foundation. It would be cool to get them on some of the original sets.

I also think some of the principals from the show are gonna lead some optional shore excursions. I wonder what they will be?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita, Wow! Enjoy your cruising--it does sound like a trip of a lifetime! We are really excited about this cruise. I've been emailing Steve Parady (he's the contact us email on the GalactiCruise website) and they have no info yet about the excursions just to keep looking because when the get any info they will post it on the site. My husband will probably bring at least one costume of his for the event day. We are going to drive up Sunday night and stay in Long Beach for one night then head to the port. I look forward to meeting you and other BG fans, we always had fun at the conventions. I hope some more folks join this thread too.

Hi Rita, Wow! Enjoy your cruising--it does sound like a trip of a lifetime! We are really excited about this cruise. I've been emailing Steve Parady (he's the contact us email on the GalactiCruise website) and they have no info yet about the excursions just to keep looking because when the get any info they will post it on the site. My husband will probably bring at least one costume of his for the event day. We are going to drive up Sunday night and stay in Long Beach for one night then head to the port. I look forward to meeting you and other BG fans, we always had fun at the conventions. I hope some more folks join this thread too.

I've never been to a fan-type convention before, so I'm curious how they work. Can you give me any insight?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well I've been to 2 BG conventions and there were discussion panels of stars and folks who worked on the show. There were vendors (I'm not sure they would have these on the cruise--never been on a theme fan cruise before), and they had costume contests, they had auctions, the usual convention fare. We can always ask what's the plan for the event day though I think Steve Parady may have mentioned panel discussions to me already. I'm curious about excursions with the stars. I've met Richard Hatch breifly a couple times, but it would be different being on an excursion with them.

Well I've been to 2 BG conventions and there were discussion panels of stars and folks who worked on the show. There were vendors (I'm not sure they would have these on the cruise--never been on a theme fan cruise before), and they had costume contests, they had auctions, the usual convention fare. We can always ask what's the plan for the event day though I think Steve Parady may have mentioned panel discussions to me already. I'm curious about excursions with the stars. I've met Richard Hatch breifly a couple times, but it would be different being on an excursion with them.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I've really never been to a fan convention before, with the possible exception of accompanying a friend of mine to a Dr. Who convention here in Philly at least 15/20 years ago. I lasted at that for about an hour and once she made some friends to hang out with, I bid her good day and went home to bed (I had worked all night). I just couldn't get into it. But then, I never watched the show either. :)

If I recall, the Dr. Who thing had vendors selling stuff too, because even though I only lasted there for about an hour, I managed to burn through about $25 bucks buying Star Trek posters. That's when I realized that I'd better get the h*ll out of there before I went broke. :) But I doubt this one will have vendors ... cause the vendors would probably have to pay to be on the ship and it wouldn't be worth their while unless they were sure of making a certain amount of money while onboard.

As we get closer to the time for this cruise, I'll keep in touch with Steve (as I'm sure you will) to see what he's got planned in the way of excursions and other events. I know we are having a cocktail party with the stars from the show, and probably group dinners. But at least from what he told me before, everything else is still in the planning stages. I'm hoping to have a blast on this cruise ... and somehow I think with some of the people they have coming onboard, it can't be anything but a blast. I've never met any of the principals from the show before, so that alone will be exciting.

Email me offline if you'd like. Maybe we can get acquainted a bit.

kry.os@verizon.net

Blue skies ...

--rita

i do own the BG dvd and was heartbroken when the sci-fi channels re-make made Starbuck a girl...i can't go on the cruise but remembering the old show brought a smile to my face and a little flash of teenage lust for the dashing Lt. Starbuck...i guess i will just have to go get out my set of BG comics and re-read them...hope all of you who go have an awesome time

• 2 months later...
A couple more "warriors" from L.A coming!

I used to own a comics and sci-fi shop' date=' so we been to tons of conventions, but what could be better than doing it at sea??

This should be a blast(er)![/quote']

Kewl! Welcome! This is gonna be a great convention. I've talked to the organizers for a piece I wrote about it, and there is lots of really fun stuff planned ... panel discussions and whatnot.

Less than five months to go. Can't wait!

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 4 weeks later...
Only 115 days!!!!!!! Kerrie:)

Won't be long now, that's for sure.

Are you doing the pre-cruise thingy at the Queen Mary? Unfortunately, I'm not gonna be able to make that. I ran out of vacation time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita, yes we are doing the dinner on the Queen Mary the night before. We are going to stay the night on board (I have been wanting to visit the QM for a long time now so this is a bonus for me). I look forward to meeting you on the first night of the cruise! Kerrie:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came across your posts. My partner and I were just having a giggle that you may have helped us find some compromise when choosing our next cruise vacation. He loves BG and I love HAL, so we may have to copy your itinerary. I particularaly like your HAL itinerary. Sounds great. We saw the Statendam in Juneau a few weeks back and it looked beautiful. Hope to see you on the BG cruise.

Brucory....:D :D :D

Archived