Paradise Shore Excursions Question

DarthGrady

Our Paradise trip is coming up fast. We have never been on the ship, nor have we been to Ensenada or Catalina. Any recommendations on shore excursions? We will probably only do one, so I want to make sure we do a good one. We also would like to keep it less than $100 pp.

Our Paradise trip is coming up fast. We have never been on the ship, nor have we been to Ensenada or Catalina. Any recommendations on shore excursions? We will probably only do one, so I want to make sure we do a good one. We also would like to keep it less than $100 pp.

You're in luck.

On Catalena, try renting a "golf cart." They have a suggested loop to take through the hills around Avalon. As I recall, it was a heck of a lot less than $100 and we fit four in ours. The rental place is right across the street from the beach. (Or, if you're a real man, do the same loop walking.)

In Ensenada, you can take a bus to el Bufadore (or however it's spelled). It's a sorta blowhole located at the end of a flea market about 20-30 miles South of town. Then you can spend some money (that is if they're still accepting Dollars now that we have a third world currency). I personally wander the stalls with my camera. It was about $5 a person. There was a guide on the bus who pointed stuff out and a guitarist. (A tip probably is in order for them and the driver.) When you ride the shuttle from the port to downtown, someone will pitch this ride which is offered by the same company.

Neither is real exciting but they're both moderately interesting and a lot less than $100 for everyone together. And we did it without any prior planning.

Remember that Ensenada is not a destination but a geographical necessity: it's about the only foreign port that can be reached on a three day cruise from SoCal. If a foreign flagged cruise line is going to get around the Passenger Services Act, it's Ensenada or nada.

My friend and I went on this cruise this past March. In Catalina we just walked around and had lunch. It's a beautiful island, but it rained so we had to cut it short. When we were in Ensenada, we went on the Wine Country tour offered through Carnival. If I remember correctly it was about $35 dollars each. You get on a bus and travel to two wineries. The bus ride is about 45 minutes and the tour guide gives you a history of the area. You then tour the wineries and have tastings at each winery. They also give you a free bottle of wine to take home with you. It was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed it. It sure made the day in Ensenada fly by.

Archived