Fuel Charges

scottie86

Look at the email i recieved from my ta today

“In light of the sustained increases in the price of fuel, the Carnival UK brands of P&O Cruises, Princess Cruises, Ocean Village, Seabourn and Cunard Line will be introducing a fuel supplement on 17th December 2007. This will apply to all new bookings travelling after 14th January 2008.

Bookings for cruises which are already underway on 14thJanuary 2008, including world voyages, will not have the fuel supplement applied.

The supplement will be £2.50 per person per day, up to a maximum of £35 per person for cruises up to and including 14 nights duration. This supplement will apply to every paying passenger travelling, including reduced 3rd and 4th person fares and reduced fare children’s places. No supplement will be applied to free child places.

For P&O Cruises holidays over 14 nights, the supplement of £2.50 per day will apply up to a maximum charge of £50 per person. For world cruises and grand voyages there will be a maximum charge of £100 per person.

Bookings made prior to 17th December 2007 will not have any fuel supplement applied”

This isn't unexpected.

The key phrase is the last one, I think:

"Bookings made prior to 17th December 2007 will not have any fuel supplement applied”

So bookings made before 17 December, regardless of the actual cruise date, ought to be supplement-free.

Sue, absolutely - me too. I haven't eaten dinner at 6.30 since I was 6!! I like to get ready for dinner, get in the bar at about 7 for a couple of civilized drinks, perhaps listening to the piano and then into dinner. Marvellous!!

and me Jean !

My 2008 cruises all booked, and 2nd sitting confirmed - which means a lot to me - no 2nd sitting NO cruise

Sue

Well we are booked for 2008 and 2009 2nd, 8.:D:D:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

I'm glad we followed the advice of all you seasoned cruisers on these boards and booked early for our first cruise - good discount, nice balcony cabin, 2nd sitting on table for eight, and now no fuel surcharge. Really looking forward to it.

Graham :)

Has anyone seen this apart from an email from this one TA

when they introduced the US version, there was a notice on Carnivals main website, but I can't find any reference to this (yet)

found Fred Olsen

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2007/12/14/26176/fred-olsen-adds-fuel-supplement.html

and royal Caribbean

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2007/12/14/26176/fred-olsen-adds-fuel-supplement.html

but not Carnival(?) though I don't really doubt it - the rest are doing it.

does seem a bit unfair our max is £50 and £100 for world cruise when as far as I understand it, it is $70 (approx £35) for the US market:confused: .

Although I guess since it is on new bookings only we gain that way.... BUT if its on new bookings only, why not just put up the price, they do that all the time anyway:D ?

just a few random thoughts:D

Karen

p.s. I already booked so for P+O it won't affect me, but looking at another Cunard one, and unlikely to get that sorted (it involves other people) before the deadline:( - but then again if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to pay the supplement:) !

does seem a bit unfair our max is £50 and £100 for world cruise when as far as I understand it, it is $70 (approx £35) for the US market:confused: .

Although I guess since it is on new bookings only we gain that way.... BUT if its on new bookings only, why not just put up the price, they do that all the time anyway:D ?

just a few random thoughts:D

Karen

Hi Karen,

You have put my thoughts into words. As I think you know, it will not affect either the Cunard or P&O cruises that I have booked so far, but it's another case of UK being poor relations.

Why, when the fuel is hedged, and bought in $ and the £ strength against the $ was the reason given for the initial lack of UK supplement, do they then charge an enhanced rate?

It all seems quite unreasonable, but that's nothing new.

David

I'm glad we followed the advice of all you seasoned cruisers on these boards and booked early for our first cruise - good discount, nice balcony cabin, 2nd sitting on table for eight, and now no fuel surcharge. Really looking forward to it.

Graham :)

You're going to pay next time though.

David.

Archived