Passports

resstation

many people do take an actual photo of the original passport for everyone, just in case they have an emergency while on shore and get left behind.

when leaving the ship just take your key card and photo ID with you for everyone over 18 years of age. for kids under 18 the key card is all they need. you wont need a passport or photo of a passport to get off and on the ship at ports of call.

only when you board for the first time at Port Canaveral or on the eastern itenary for customs,

leave your real passport in your safe in the room. you dont want to loose it.

mom x4,grandma x4

The ship doesn't print out your passport. They run it through the reader that records the number and compares it with the number you supplied in your online check-in process.

I generally take my actual passport with me into port. Chances of something happening are slim. But if it does and I cannot reboard the ship (due to sickness or injury, for instance) I will need the passport to reenter the U.S. Having a photocopy of the picture/info page will help get it replaced if there's a U.S. consulate in that port, but there will still be some hassle trying to get home.

Just something to think about.

You don't need passports until Summer 08.

I'm not wasting 200 bucks for my January Cruise.

We are not Flying, and won't be!!!! Can't wait!!!! Woo HOO

Forgive me if my info is out of date but I thought you needed them for cruises starting 1/1/08. Did that get pushed back? Also, which Jan cruise are you on? We're on the Jan 6 4 day Wonder.

I sure hope you or anyone you are traveling with won't get ill enought to be transported via air to a port or back to the good olde USA. You just might be flying, and without a passport.

This logic is flawed.

"Wasting" money on a passport is like saying... "I'm going to save money and the environment by not putting gas in my car today!" because you're just going to have to do it later in the week anyway. Pay now, pay later... you still paid regardless. You WILL have to have one if you ever intend on leaving the country again. One would assume you won't sit at home if you're the type of person that likes to travel... which would be assumed by your participation in a cruise-based travel messageboard. Maybe I'm off and this is the only trip you will ever take.

The nature of emergency flights home (being EMERGENCIES, not planned adventures) is that you can't possibly say "I won't be flying" with any certainty. You can surely hope and you PROBABLY won't... but you can't say "I won't" unless you have a DNR living will that states you just want to be left wherever they find you and they leave you to die in the process. Maybe I'm off and this is your situation.

Passports do not cost $200. Maybe I'm off and you are paying someone to fill out your paperwork.

This logic is flawed.

"Wasting" money on a passport is like saying... "I'm going to save money and the environment by not putting gas in my car today!" because you're just going to have to do it later in the week anyway. Pay now, pay later... you still paid regardless. You WILL have to have one if you ever intend on leaving the country again. One would assume you won't sit at home if you're the type of person that likes to travel... which would be assumed by your participation in a cruise-based travel messageboard. Maybe I'm off and this is the only trip you will ever take.

The nature of emergency flights home (being EMERGENCIES, not planned adventures) is that you can't possibly say "I won't be flying" with any certainty. You can surely hope and you PROBABLY won't... but you can't say "I won't" unless you have a DNR living will that states you just want to be left wherever they find you and they leave you to die in the process. Maybe I'm off and this is your situation.

Passports do not cost $200. Maybe I'm off and you are paying someone to fill out your paperwork.

If she is cursing in Jan, getting a passport is probably a moot point at this date anyway.

I think you are really going off the deep end here.

This is only a 4 day cruise. If it was longer, Of course we would get passports.

But come on, talking about DEATH????

This is a great cruise forum, with lots of useful info. I understand we are taking a chance. But this was a last minute thing for us, and we are not paying so much money just for 4 days. If you don't want to use a passport, you don't have to until Summer 08. Thanks!

Archived