Workout Facilities on MSC ships and steam rooms and saunas

Fred49

Thinking about trying MSC Poesia in November of 2008. When I'm on ship I really like to workout and also use steam room and saunas. Couple of questions- Are workout facilities comparable to other cruise lines like Carnival, Holland America, Royal Caribbean? Are there separate steam rooms in Men's and Women's locker rooms? Since Poesia won't come out until 2008 I guess the Orchestra would be the best comparison. Appreciate any info.

Fred

From the Berlitz Guide to Cruising:

Spa/Fitness

The Orchestra Health Center (Body and Mind spa) is located one deck above the navigation bridge at the forward end of the ship. The complex has a beauty salon, several treatment rooms offering massage and other body-pampering treatments, as well as a gymnasium with ocean views and an array of high-tech, muscle-toning and strengthening equipment.

There’s also a thermal suite, containing different kinds of steam rooms combined with aromatherapy infusions, at €12 per session, or six sessions for €60; there’s also a neat juice/smoothie bar opposite the reception desk.

The health center is run as a concession by the Italian company OceanView, with European hairstylists and fine Balinese massage and body treatment staff. Examples of treatment prices: Balinese massage, €93 (45 minutes); shiatsu massage, €90 (45 minutes); hot stone therapy, €100 (45 minutes); facial, €65; pedicure, €40. Gratuities are not included, and are not charged to your account.

Sports facilities include deck quoits, two shuffleboard courts, large tennis/basketball court, mini-golf, and a jogging track.

Berlitz Guide © Apa Publishing 2008

BERLITZ'

We took a cruise on Orchestra and used the workout room. It had really nice, state of the art equipment. There were about a dozen or so machines of various kinds and you usually had to wait for machines. The view from the workout room is forward and you can see where the ship is heading. It is a strange feeling and I can't describe it.

Thinking about trying MSC Poesia in November of 2008. When I'm on ship I really like to workout and also use steam room and saunas. Appreciate any info.

Fred

As noted above, MSC charges for use of the sauna and steam room ( about $15 per session ) , the only line I have heard of that does so. Are you sure you really want to try MSC in light of all the negatives posted?

I loved my cruise on Sinfonia. The gym was very nice, immaculate and well equipped. The downside was that the hours were limited and it opened late. I was surprised though I have the same problem in Italy.

The are not the only line to charge extra for sauna and steam.

Archived